1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for a 2nd DVB-T tuner?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by DJI, May 31, 2005.

1. DJI

DJI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Shuttle PC (MCE2005) with a BlackGold DVB-T card in its single PCI slot, and I'm giving up waiting to upgrade to their dual-tuner card (which I was originally told would be February!). I'm planning on buying a USB DVB-T tuner to add to it, but worry about driver compatibility. Does anyone have any experience of what works or what to avoid? I really want to be able to access the DVB-T radio this time as well.

Thanks in advance.

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I don't think there are many MCE compatible USB2 Freeview boxes, I am using the Avermedia one on my shuttle and it works very well. I don't have the DVB-T radio though.

I happen to know that another forum member was planning on using this with the Black Gold DVB-T PCI card, if he is around he may be able to post his results.

lisa

3. markxtc123

markxtc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I guess that'll be me then! :hiya:

I have a shuttle box with the BlackGold card fitted. The guys that built it for me have tried the Avermedia USB2 DVB-T tuner in conjunction with the BlackGold card in a shuttle and say it works fine with no problems. The Avermedia USB2 comes with the MCE2005 drivers.

I have just ordered one from maplin

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=-11010&TabID=1&source=1&doy=31m5

Where they are currently on special offer for £74.99.

It should arrive later in the week and I'll have it installed a few minutes after it has arrived :D

I'll let you know later in the week from personal experience how it goes.

4. DJI

DJI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark. The Maplin site says it does have "digital FM" - can you check this out as well? Other sites selling apparently the same product don't mention radio, nor does Avermedia's site!

Did you consider the Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T USB2? Its a similar price, has had some good press and also claims digital radio.

Thanks for your help,
    David

5. markxtc123

markxtc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    OK I've now tried the Avermedia DVB-T USB2 tuner on my MCE computer.

First there is no FM tuner, but the accompanying software does give access to Freeview radio stations as long as you are in Windows and no in MCE front end.

2nd there is a problem for me to overcome. The unit works fine in MCE and allows two channels to be recorded at the same time. The problem is that it does not appear to wake up when resuming from suspend. It needs a channel change to wake it up after resuming. This is a problem if you have something scheduled to record on the channel that you were on when you suspend as nothing records!.

I'm still working on this and will give an update next week.

6. DJI

DJI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How did you get on?
    I foolishly bought the Nova-T USB2 unit to try with the GDI PCI card, but has to give up after a couple of days of trying. Hauppauge eventually admitted their unit only works as a 2nd tuner for another of the same!

David

7. markxtc123

markxtc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I wasn't really happy with the AverMedai USB2 box. Adding it resulted in lots of missed recordings. In the end I removed it and have reverted to just the BlackGold Card.

I have decided it is probably best to wait for the Dual Freeview BlackGold card to be released.