Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Recommendations for a 23"-32" widesceen LCD for approx. £1500 please?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Cheekster, Nov 14, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Cheekster

Cheekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi.

In the market for a LCD TV, primarily for surfing the web, watching downloaded HDTV episodes and some XBOX use.

Think I've short-listed these so far after reading lots of glowing reviews on these very forums:

Toshiba 32WL48
    Sharp LC-32GA3E or LC-32GA4E

Differences/pro's and con's of each?

Will most likely be wall mounting it and so any recommendations for a more or less fixed bracket possibly with tilt facility would also be handy.

Many thanks.

Cheekster.

2. Skiny

Skiny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well noone has got the Toshiba to work with a PC yet, so looks like the Sharp is your best option.

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I've just ordered a 26" Sharp over the Tosh. Both seem excellent when I demoed them, the wife prefered the look of the Sharp, the rest is history....!

4. Cheekster

Cheekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    uczmed - Did you manage to find any on-line reviews for either?

Ta.

Cheekster.

5. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Sorry. Just used my eyes and annoyed the shop assistant making him play a few DVDs and give me a remote so I could play with the settings a bit (they tend to have silly settings to make them look bright in the shop).

Then bought it online... ;)

6. Elsie Dee

Elsie Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Skiny,

I've used a 32wl48 with PC input without any difficulty. Plug it in and off you go!

7. Cheekster

Cheekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    And what was the quality like?

Thanks.

Cheekster.

8. Skiny

Skiny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Were you able to get it running through the HDMI connection, and were you able to use the whole screen?

Someone posted in another thread that it wouldn't work.

9. leo9

leo9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picture quality from PC running at 1024 x 768 is very good but of course not widesreen so you get black borders on either side, though you can stretch it to wide screen without much noticeable distortion. Think other posters were not happy with PC connection because they were trying to run at higher res or through DVI or some other high tech type thing.

However, refer to my other posts (especially last one) on picture quality from Sky - not happy with this compared to my other Sony CRT, which is excellent for TV and Sky. Mike246 (very helpful poster) has a different experience - he is very happy with his Sky picture so don't just take my word on this.

10. Skiny

Skiny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1024x768 is no good. I need to be able to run the screen at it's native resoloution, give or take a few pixels.

11. djsat2

djsat2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at the viewsonic N3000w, i havent seen it in action but am planning to when i buy one in the coming month. Its 32", 1024x768 16ms, got DVI (HDCP), component, scarts etc. Looks pretty good and the few reviews ive read have been favorable. The prices ive seen on UK sites range from 1300 to 1700 so im sure if u look around u can find a good deal. I think ill be doing the interest free for 1 year deal at savastore.co.uk

12. Forest Fan

Forest Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The manual says it will take 720p through the HDMI port, so I'd expect a res of 1280x720 to work, but I don't believe it has been tried from what I've read in the other threads.

13. Skiny

Skiny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The people who have tried, says it doesn't work. I think I'm going for the Sharp 32GA4E anyway.

14. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    pc input works fine perfect, have had webpages and video editing runing very clear. Better if it had dvi would slightly sharper. Skiny i think personally i wish i had checked out the sharp range they do look v nice. Toshiba has got good PQ , wish i could again compare it side by side with a sharp.

15. Skiny

Skiny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, I like the look of the Sharp more too.

I just got back from Curry’s after taking a look at different screens, and the 32" LCDs looked tiny compared to the 42" plasmas. It's actually put me off a bit now. I thought 32" would be fine, but now I've seen bigger, I don't know if I could live with a smaller screen.

It's probably just because the LCDs were next to larger screens, and that they were in a big shop, but I dunno. :\

All screens were running a horrible, low quality video, which made even the best Sony they had look like sh*t. As well as insanely high prices, it makes you wonder how they sell anything at all.

16. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    And they say size doesn't matter... ;)

You reasoning in correct, of course it was big store and next to a bigger set. 10" extra is a lot of screen.

You need to base it on your room size and viewing distance. Too close to a 42" set and anything but the very best sources are going to make you regret spending so much money!

17. Skiny

Skiny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, you're right. A 37" would be the ideal size for my room, but 37" LCDs are a rip off at the moment. I'm just thinking, if I wait until the beginning of next year, they might have dropped?

18. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Prices always drop and new models always come out to tempt us.

You have to buy at some point. January will be slow for igh ticket items, so there could well be some good deals to have.

What size TV do you have now?

I just measured the viewable area of my 36" crt set. Only 33" is visable. Meaning a 32" LCD will be a big set as 32" on these really is 32".

I noticed Empire doing a nice looking 37" Philips plasma TV for under £1.5k. No idea how good it is, didn't want to investigate too hard or I might end up owning it...

19. Skiny

Skiny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment, I don't have one. My parents have a 32" CRT (76cm viewable?) in the living room, which is not a bad size, but when viewing it from the other side of the room, it's a bit small. 37" - 42" would be the right size for the size of the room.

So you have a link to the 37" plasma? I couldn't find it.

I'd like to get an LCD, as I'd be using it alot with a HTPC, and wouldn't have to worry about having a low resoloution and screen burn.

Thanks

20. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I couldn't find it today either, sorry. It was on the front page a couple of days ago. Must have been a clearance item.

21. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

hi mate did u get ur pc input in the middle or did u have to adjust the horizontal settings? thanks

Attached Files:

22. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    here is a pic from halo 2

Attached Files:

23. Cheekster

Cheekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    So what is the verdict guys on quality of the Toshiba when using it as a PC monitor?

Cheekster.

24. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well its good with the pc input but could be sharper with dvi thats all. Im happy with it kicks any crt worth having as a sometime used lcd for pc else stick to a normal tft for pc. Definately A ok. Clear bright and good colours seeing websites its very good.

25. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi, Now I have no idea what the quality of this stuff is like, but just a thought...I was up at Toys R Us today, buying the little monsters their Xmas goodies, they have a Pentium 4 3.4Ghz PC, blah blah blah bundled with a Medion 27" LCD TV for £1599.....The PC spec seemed pretty good, an ATI 256 mb graphics card and DVI out and the TV had a DVI input amongst other inputs......I didn't take too much notice, but just a thought if you're after a widescreen TV at a decent price?

26. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the Lcd is not good though but u do get a half decent pc. Remember u can get 30" hitachi then add a £600 pc.

27. cooleo

cooleo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have had this tv for a month now and I am very happy with it. The picture is sharp, natural and vibrant wether I watch analogue, in-built freeview or sky. Also, I watched the spain v england game on it yesterday and it looked great(unlike england!).
    I originaly bought a philips 32" lcd(9956) and it was absolutely terrible - fast sports were impossible to watch, dark scenes were so dark you could not see anything, the bright whites were so bright it hurt your eyes to watch and the colours were completely wrong and un-natural. After 3 days I sent it back to RGB who although they say nothing wrong was found with the set they agreed to exchange it for the panasonic(£370 refund aswell - great!!) And before anyone comments yes I tried all the various settings on the philips including their pixel plus which just seemed to make it worse and very bitty - all round it was terrible on all sources.
    The panasonic on the other hand with exactly the same set up is awsome!! I would definately recomend it. Also RGB Direct were very helpful and super fast delivery!

28. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    If I buy a tft that only has 1 rgb scart socket so decided to use my scart box to make things easier would I loose picture quality?
    Does it harm the screen in anyway if I bought a sharp LCD 30" and played console games as well as my PC games on the screen? I wantto buy a TFT because the picture is proberbly the best you can get and I would not need to use my monitor then :)

29. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I am also looking for an LCD tv with a budget of up to £1500 if I have to. I have read good things about the sharp LC32GA4E. My bedroom is about 12dt by 10 ft and the LCD will be mainly used for gaming and watching dvd films on the home cinema.

I will give you links to my shortlist just wanted advice what to look for etc.

http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/moreinfo/index.asp?product_id=1426

http://ws3.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SHAR-LC22SV2E

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Philips_30PF9946 this one is a plasma

http://www.flatdeal.com/lc32ga4e.htm

30. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    oh 1 more thing 95% of my films are NTSC if that helps.