Recommendations for a 16:10 Monitor

vespertine

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a quality 16:10 wide-format monitor (1920 x 1200) for use with my PC - predominantly for desktop use, gaming and photography. I'd be looking to connect via DVI. I'm not really concerned about in-built speakers as I already have a decent sound system. I'd prefer it to have some degree of tilt/swivel. I can afford to spend up to £600 but would rather keep the cost to around £250-£450.

I've been impressed with the clarity and sharpness of the Apple iMac displays; though I don't know how much of this is attributable to the high-gloss/glass screen rather than the actual technology. Also, I've been told that they are essentially re-badged Samsungs - [Q1] Is this true?

I've therefore been considering the Apple LED Cinema Display Monitor in combination with the Atlona AT-DP200 converter. However, it has a poor response time and can't tilt or swivel and for the price, you might as well buy the iMac itself!

I've also been considering the Dell UltraSharp U2410. [Q2] Is the screen for this monitor high-gloss/glass or matte? [Q3] Is this still current or due to be phased out?

I'm aware that there are other quality offerings from Samsung, HP and LG but the vast choice starts to get very confusing. It's also not clear which of these monitors has a high-gloss/glass screen and which are matte.

I'd welcome sugguestions/recommendations for both matte and high-gloss/glass screens. Thanks in advance.

The U2410 is a matte screen and as far as I know isn't being phased out.

How will you know to avoid the A01 as most retailers are oblivious of such things?

Any other recommendations for glass or matte 16:10 monitors?

It seems that only all-in-one type PCs have glass.

How will you know to avoid the A01 as most retailers are oblivious of such things?

Some advertise as Revision A01. it's A00 you want to avoid. Just call and ask them. there might be more info in the link I posted I didn't read the whole thing though.

Personally If I was spending that much on a monitor I wouldn't want to be arsing about returning it to Dell to be flashed.

After a fair bit of research, the options seem to be boiling down to either the Dell Ultrascan U2410 or the HP LP2475w. Anyone have any preferences? Also, does anyone know if the HP LP2475w is glass or matte?

Thanks for pointing that one out, thought from the specs it seems to have a slightly lesser spec overall and a slower response time than the HP LP2475w. From the demo, it looks to have a matte screen. So I'm assuming both the HP LP2475w and the HP ZR24w are matte.

I have no idea whether they are matte although I have looked on the HP website looking up the manuals etc as I am looking for an IPS monitor also.

I am preferring the the Dell ultrasharp U2410 at the moment as it is the only one with multiscreen functions that I would find handy for photo editing - having two screens next to each other etc. I am constantly looking out for reviews on this model!

That's a great point about the picture in/by picture feature CYMRAES. :smashin:

I have been almost pressing the buy button for the Dell u2311h a few times but you have me interested in the 2410 again because of the PiP. It would really help with photo editing and Photoshop tutorials.

They have the Revision A01 version on PcbuyIt for £390 at the mo: Dell U2410 ** REV A01 ** 24" WideScreen IPS LCD Monitor
**Edit** that price is Ex VAT. Adding the VAT on brings it to around £358

Dammit someone bite the bullet and put us all out of our misery :laugh:

J

Last edited:
That's a great point about the picture in/by picture feature CYMRAES. :smashin:

I have been almost pressing the buy button for the Dell u2311h a few times but you have me interested in the 2410 again because of the PiP. It would really help with photo editing and Photoshop tutorials.

They have the Revision A01 version on PcbuyIt for £390 at the mo: Dell U2410 ** REV A01 ** 24" WideScreen IPS LCD Monitor
**Edit** that price is Ex VAT. Adding the VAT on brings it to around £358

Dammit someone bite the bullet and put us all out of our misery :laugh:

J

:laugh::laugh: you first :D

I can't tell you how many times I've almost gone and bought the Dell U2410 but stopped myself! I did have a good look at the new dell U2311 but it's a shame it doesn't have the multiscreen functions, neither does the HP monitors. I can't see any other monitor that has this especially this size monitor, and I know if I went and bought one without these functions I would be sorry!

I currently have a fairly cheap TN 17" monitor which is over 10 years old and I need my next monitor to last at least this long! I want one which is future proof - well for a few years, and so I would also like as many inputs etc for this ... if you get my meaning.

I didn't know anything about the A01 and A00 until about a week ago! I'm learning something new all the time and I think this makes it more frightening! The trouble is, if I were to contact a supplier and ask whether they had an A01 because I wasn't interested in any other, would they be totally honest? How can you make sure the monitor you purchase is actually A01, does it specify on the monitor somewhere?? Not that I'm sceptical you understand!:rolleyes:

I honestly couldn't tell you how you know it's version A01 but I'm guessing it states this when it first powers up.

The whole thing is as clear as mud really :confused:

That mammoth thread I linked to earlier in this thread goes on about all kinds of stuff but the later posts talk about a download for the A02 firmware. The earlier posts were saying that you had to send the A00 version back to Dell to get flashed but some people were downloading a Chinese firmware to avoid the hassle.

I'm going to somehow try to contact Dell and ask them what the situation is.

J

Nice to see some more interest in this topic :)
I'm also favouring the Dell U2410 at this point in time.

I bought the ZR24w a month or so back and I'm very happy with it. I would have liked HDMI to hitch up my PS3 but other than that I have no complaints for the money. It's a lovely bit of kit.

Cheers,

Gaz

Thank you for sharing, it's nice that people share their good experiences, very often it's about a problem they have!;)

It looks a lovely monitor Gaz, however, I really fancy the extra functions of multiscreen which as far as I can see the ZR24w doesn't have.

vespertine, so you haven't come to a decision yet as it seems all of us here! The Dell U2410 does look a very good monitor although there have been a few issues with dithering and green or pink tint. It seems that there isn't an issue with the A01 panel, but knowing my luck I would be landed with the other panel and have to send it back!

On the other hand, if there were so many of them sent back surely they would have ended production of this monitor?!

This FAQ answers most questions regarding the Dell u2410:

U2410 FAQ - Monitors Forum - Peripherals - Dell Community

One point from the FAQ states:
* Graininess/Dithering in sRGB and Adobe Modes - A01 fixed this. Currently, the only way to get the A01 version is to get a refurbished exchange from the A00. The A01 version will be offered at a later time (no ETA) as a New purchase

I contacted Chris at Dell and asked him if you can download a firmware upgrade and flash the A00 version yourself

His reply:
"We do not flash in the field and we could not flash yours and return it to you. All you could do is get an exchange for another one"

So, you pays your money, you takes your chance.

J

Thank JayPH for that and for the link. I really don't know what to say now! He doesn't specify when the new ones with the A01 or whatever (you know what I mean) to fix this issue will be available and how we would know what they are.

It states on that link, actually says that they will no longer exchange the monitor for the dithering/tint issue! That isn't right is it? If it has a 5 year guarantee and you are not happy with it when it has a problem surely you are within your rights to send it back.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now! Are you still thinking of buying it?

They wont exchange for the Pink/Green tint problem because this is a normal panel characteristic If they sent you a new one it could/would be the same. I'm not sure if this is true or just Dell's take on it.

I am not going to buy it. There are too many issues with it. It is just a complete fudge too. If you have the A00 version you have to send it back to get a refurbed A00 version that's been flashed to A01. Does that mean that shops that are selling the A01 version are selling a refurbed monitor?

Just too many ifs and buts for me. I'd rather just use my old 19" Ultrasharp for the time being until somthing similar pops up. Pity though because it certainly ticks all the boxes in terms of specification. :(

Yeah, I'm getting concerned about this A00 and A01 business with the Dell now. I'd more or less made mind up to get the U2410 but now I'm unsure.

Update: Just spoken to Dell who confirmed the firmware on new U2410s is now A01. I have a name and direct number for anyone who would like it.

The skeptic in me doesn't want to accept a verbal confirmation but it's all I have at the moment. Assuming the information is correct, the downside is Dell are charging £586 for the monitor which is considerably more than Amazon - who are asking just £462.

Last edited:
This monitor buying business is a veritable minefield lol. I've pretty much narrowed down my choice and preference to the following shortlist of three ...

1) Dell U2410
2) HP LP2475w
3) HP ZR24W

... but there are issues/problems with each onel.

• The Dell U2410 seems to be the best overall, so long as you get the A01 firmware. Difficult to guarantee this.
  • The LP2475w seems fairly solid but doesn't look terribly pretty, is fairly expensive, and is being phased out.
  • The ZR24W seems to be well-priced with a slightly lesser spec but - alarmingly - I just read that it doesn't offer 1:1 scaling for 16:9, so DVDs and Blurays end up getting stretched ... see this review for more details ... [link]. Can anyone confirm or refute this?
And several reviews I've read refer to a common issue of there being a "dirty look" on IPS monitors caused by the anti-glare coating. Is this really so noticeable? When is it visible, just on white backgrounds?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
This monitor buying business is a veritable minefield lol. I've pretty much narrowed down my choice and preference to the following shortlist of three ...

1) Dell U2410
2) HP LP2475w
3) HP ZR24W

... but there are issues/problems with each onel.

• The Dell U2410 seems to be the best overall, so long as you get the A01 firmware. Difficult to guarantee this.
  • The LP2475w seems fairly solid but doesn't look terribly pretty, is fairly expensive, and is being phased out.
  • The ZR24W seems to be well-priced with a slightly lesser spec but - alarmingly - I just read that it doesn't offer 1:1 scaling for 16:9, so DVDs and Blurays end up getting stretched ... see this review for more details ... [link]. Can anyone confirm or refute this?
And several reviews I've read refer to a common issue of there being a "dirty look" on IPS monitors caused by the anti-glare coating. Is this really so noticeable? When is it visible, just on white backgrounds?

Hi again vespertine, I have read about the firmware where you can do it yourself (I've read about it this week, I thought it was on the tft website but can't find it now!) and it warns you that if you go ahead to do it yourself you only have one chance to have a go and if you do anything wrong you will damage the panel and your warrante is void!

The thing is though, although I've read so many negatives, if there were really a large proportion of unhappy people they wouldn't still be selling them, or something radical would have had to be done! I'm also very confused!

I really prefer the dell U2410 - if it was perfect, but now I don't know what to do. I think I'll have to keep reading and stick to my 17" cheap TN monitor for the moment!;)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The thing is though, although I've read so many negatives, if there were really a large proportion of unhappy people they wouldn't still be selling them, or something radical would have had to be done! I'm also very confused!
I know what you mean. Though, I think most users of these high-end monitors are businesses, so employees are less likely to comment/feedback compared to consumers.

I am tempted to bite the bullet and go for the Dell U2410.

Let me know if you do and give a report of what the monitor is like. I'm going to wait a couple of months I think.

I'm just wondering if anyone went for this. i've had my eye off the ball in terms of Monitors and been busy with upgrading my fishing gear.

I am again interested in this model but would be interested if there is anything that can compete with it or anything just around the corner that will defunct it?

Cheers all

J

Had my eye on this myself as my previousl monitor blew up. So far steering towards the U2410 now that REV02 release is out. If anyone can tempt me away from this and back towards a HP which until today I had been looking at, then I would love to hear your thoughts. Got about a week till I have to purchase.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom