Recommendations for 4k Bluray player with Atmos decoding.

johnr2110

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for an Atmos decoding 4k player for my Panasonic HZ1500.
Nothing high end as I don't have a sound system.

Looking for recommendations for an Atmos decoding 4k player for my Panasonic HZ1500.
No players available decode Atmos. That needs to be done in an amp/receiver, soundbar or TV.
All 4K players can bitstream atmos soundtracks to be decoded in amp, soundbar etc.

Cheapest one HDMI output players would be Sony X500 (no Dolby Vision/HDR10+) or Panasonic UB150 (HDR10+, no Dolby Vision).

Cheapest two HDMI output players would be Sony X700 (Dolby Vision, no HDR10+) or Panasonic UB450 (has Dolby Vision and HDR10+).

For future expandability/flexibility I'd suggest the UB450 unless you are totally cash strapped.

Last edited:
Also begs the question why Atmos important if no sound system?

Any player is capable to passing the metadata stream alongside Dolby TrueHD for Atmos. The decoding is done within the AV amp and for the best audio performance you will also need a speaker set up of 5.1.2.

Your Panny TV will decode Atmos and play it through the onboard speakers and I think that is the question you need answering. So just get a 4K player and premium HDMI cable and your good to go.

It has to be said though that it's a poor substitute for an amp and speaker based set up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom