Recommendations for £300 floorstanders, 2nd hand or new

alexthecheese

Standard Member
Reaction score
I mainly listen to rock and electronic music, and I'm going to rig it up to a new NAD amp when I can decide what speakers I want. Can anybody suggest anything in this price range?

The M35i's look nice, but I've heard they're muddy. They're very cheap for what they are though, at only £180ish for a pair. I'm quite tempted to try them out anyway.

Kef Q5's are supposedly hard to drive to get the bass out of it which isn't partiuclarly appealing...

There's the Mordaunt Short 906i's also but I haven't a clue about them...

Can anybdoy suggest anything for the above? Cheers.

Some Dynaudio Audience 62's on eBay.. last set i saw went for slightly over £350 which is plain daft for the quality of them!

I've bought two sets of Focal JMlab floorstanders on eBay for £300 each pair.

Cobalt 810 and Cobalt 815 from 1999/2000.

As above for the Dyn's, an absolute steal at the price.

If you've got a NAD amp, you want to be going with Mission speakers. They are a perfect match. I think more than enough people will tell you that. :smashin:

I have the NAD C325BEE with a pair of Mission M33i floorstanders and I can't tell you how good it sounds. They have lovely rich bass, I have the black finish and they look very smart as well.

I personally haven't heard KEF, but my dad demoed some and said they were nowhere near as good as the Mission equivalents.

Just as a matter of interest, where can you get the M35's for £180? That is an amazing price considering my M33i's were £170. I would imagine the massive drop in price is to clear them, as the new M60 range is out.

Unfortunately I made a mistake and they're £180 ach. :) Shame really, as I would've snapped them up for that amount if they were a pair. ;)

I've read good things about NAD amps but didnt realise they were a good match for mission speakers! Interesting. Would it be worth getting a more powerful amp than the C325BEE for the M35i's, or would 50wpc be sufficient to drive them?

There is the C352 which is 80wpc, which is starting to get quite hefty, but is it worth the extra £70-80 or so for the extra oomph?

While I'm here actually, what would a pair of Mission 701's in good condition be worth these days? I would sell them when getting some new floorstanders.

I've read good things about NAD amps but didnt realise they were a good match for mission speakers! Interesting. Would it be worth getting a more powerful amp than the C325BEE for the M35i's, or would 50wpc be sufficient to drive them?

There is the C352 which is 80wpc, which is starting to get quite hefty, but is it worth the extra £70-80 or so for the extra oomph?

The C325BEE should drive the M35i's no problem. The amp is rated at 50W p/c, double what Mission recommend as bare minimum (25W p/c), so you should be fine. NAD amps are well known for driving hefty speakers anyway. It's up to you whether you think the C352 is worth the extra money.

What reasonably priced amp would suit these speakers bob? I bought What HiFi today and they couldn't recommend them highly enough. :thumbsup:

A few people find MA's a bit upfront so the NADs should be a decent match as if memory serves me right (it's been a while since I bought one) they are warmer sounding amps

Bob

Hiya mate, jus got the 906i floorstanders and wow the r great! I use them as my fronts, but they r also great if you were 2 use them for sterio left ond right! Great highs and mids, coupled with a ms 309i sub fantastic!
Go 2 you local richer sounds and ask them 2 demo 4 you! You wont b dissapointed! :thumbsup:

reaper121

Try and get a listen to some in your listening environment. I had some BR5's on loan for a week and in my home they were bass heavy and plodding on the end of a NAD C352. My local Practical Hi-Fi were great lending me speakers until I was happy with the sound and still doing a good price. For what its worth I tried B&W 601's and 602's, BR5's and Kef iQ5's and opted for the 601's as the best compromise between clarity and controlled bass.

I dont know much about NAD amps but at £3-350 new you could try some B&W603 S3's on an ex-dem deal at various retailers.

I have also seen quad 21L's go for that much.

I used to love my Mission 773e's from a long time ago but always found them to be bass light - never really got on with anything after the 78 range.

Thinking about - 782's go for around your budget on the bay.

A second-hand pair of Linn Keilidhs, try and get them with the Ku-Stone bases.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom