• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

recommendation to improve sd performance for panasonic v10/g10 ?

toxic mango

Established Member
I am definately decided on one of these two sets. However, I understand that sd does not look very good. Apart from HD is there anyway else to improve the sd performance eg running it thorugh a dvd/amp. I have an arcam avr 280 (not sure whether upscales)

Thanks

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Please do not believe everthing you read, there are more positive comments on the SD performance than negative, Freeview SD is Fine on my 50" V10 & slightly better on the SD Freesat tuner (but theres not a lot in it). Some SD material/Channels are exceptionaly good & sometimes close to HD in appearance :)
If you are refering to an outside SD source i.e. Sky+ then yes you could benefit by using an Amp. with a good upscaler.

Last edited:

YellowSphere

Prominent Member
The complaints levelled against the SD performance of Panasonic plasmas are that it's too soft. Although this means that less mosquito noise and other unavoidable digital artefacts are apparent, it means that the set doesn't get anywhere as much detail as it could out of a good quality broadcast. One HDTVtest review showed that detail could just go completely missing on a Panasonic display which is plain to see on a Samsung. It also doesn't present as sharp a picture as it should with any films broadcast.

Because of the other strengths of these displays, the SD performance is still more than watchable.

toxic mango

Established Member
thanks for the comments. silly question if the picture is soft can the sharpening not be turned up to counteract this.

toodeep

Prominent Member
I think that SD sharpness perceived on other TVs is sometimes not in the signal but processing artefact. The Panasonic image is devoid of this, and can be considered soft, but I tend to prefer the more natural Panasonic picture.

YellowSphere

Prominent Member
thanks for the comments. silly question if the picture is soft can the sharpening not be turned up to counteract this.
The problem with turning up sharpness is that's artificial. Whilst it can help the image seem left soft, it actually removes even more detail ultimately.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The upscaling on the TV is probably better than any amp unless you go very high end. The Arcam amp you have does not upscale the picture. As far as scaling does I feel it is best left to the TV.
If you want to improve your SD image you will need to invest in a DVDO Edge or Lumagen. These processors will improve the quality of your SD picture but they are not cheap.

toxic mango

Established Member
if only the pioneer was not so expensive would have considered buying it - but for the money i would spend on a lx5090 or kra - could by a camcorder + tv

toodeep

Prominent Member
Then you may like to know that I replaced a lx5090 with a 50V10 and prefer the Panasonic HD and SD pictures. Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas produce different looking images and you should decide which you like best (within budget).

toxic mango

Established Member
defo deciding on the pana in my opinion better value for money given my budget.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom