1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation required

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by stigdu, Aug 14, 2003.

1. stigdu

stigdu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I bought a Panasonic series 5 42" about 2 months ago, and my eyesight is ok but my hearing is excellent.

I have never noticed any flickering picture with this set, but the electrical 'buzzing' is doing my head in!! I sent it back to Panasonic but they returned it 3 weeks later saying it was within 'acceptable levels.'

I really can't be doing with this, as it's most off-putting when watching my films on DVD.

Can I please have recommendations for a 42" (-ish) plasma that DOESN'T emit a distracting buzzing noise when it's on?

Many thanks.

Stacy. :)

2. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My Pioneer 433MXE Plasma is a completely silent runner, also the Panansonic 6 series apparently dont suffer the buzz of previous Panasonics.

3. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can definitely recommend the new Panasonic 6 series (42PW6) - fantastic picture to my eyes (although low native resolution compared to Pioneer for example, which may or may not matter to you). As regards the buzz, it is audible on my plasma but you do have to put your ear pretty close to the back of the screen (right hand side facing the back) and have a silent room i.e. it just isn't noticeable for all intents and purposes. I got a great price on mine too.

4. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't just go saying things like that! Details! Details!

Macca

5. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Macca - don't want to hijack the thread - feel free to PM me and I'll give you details!

6. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's exactly why my Toshiba (panasonic clone) 42" went back - was way too loud in normal use.
    Looked at the NEC which seems pretty quiet, and many here recommend the Pioneer. Guess you've got tp hear them for yourself, as my dealer could never really hear the buzzing, but was happy to take it back as I wasn't happy.

Good luck

7. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My Pioneer 433HDE made one hell of a noise...though the demo one at the store I bought it from was much quieter but then there was a lot more ambient noise around, my viewing room is pretty quiet and I watched mainly at night.

This was one of the reason why I returned it.

Cheers, Lee

8. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    loonatic,

was it the screen or the tuner box which made the noise. I had assumed all Pioneers were silent.

9. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It's the power supply in the screen itself that makes the noise...it comes from the top-right hand corner of the screen and as with most screens changes intensity depending on what the screen is displaying. For example, it's much louder when showing a mostly bright white images, and nearly silent when it's a dark scene. The screen is obviously drawing more power at these times.

Durring the past 8 months I have had three 43" screens and a 50" screen as loan items while mine was of being looked at, and they all had the same noise...but different...but not silent by a long shot.

The tuner box has allways been silent but does get very very hot..too hot to touch after it's been on a while so you would not want to place anything on top of it.

How they get away with advertising them as silent I will never know.

Cheers, Lee

10. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Lee,

It seems that the HDE and MXE models aren't comparable in the noise department. My MXE, like Tony's, is completely silent. :smashin:

Steve

11. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Steve & Tony,

Well thats good to hear :smashin:

Now I know more about them I would have gone for the MXE over the HDE in the first place but I think that there is something about Plasma's which I just do not like...also with all the trouble I've had with mine it'staken the shine of them for now.

I love the fact they are so slim and take up so little space. I love the large screen size and the wow factor when anyone enters the room.

But...there's something I just don't like and I can't really put my finger on it. I much prefer the image from my Sony CRT and I also liked the image from Sony's 30" LCD...it seemed more CRT like - except the blacks which are more than okay for me - perhaps this is down to size.

My HDE could produce excellent images from one source, be it Sky+ or DVD, and then be next to useless with another.

So I have given up on Plasma for now. I'm going to stick with my CRT in the living room, get an LCD for the bedroom and keep my Sony HS10 PJ for films and wait and see what the future brings.

Cheers, Lee

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Lee

Sorry to hear you tails of woe!

My 433HDE very occasionally (once in the last three months) makes a slight buzz on all white - I watch it a lot late at night with the volume down low and its normally silent.

Whenever it does make a noise its usually accompanied by us having duff mains and the lights going low (we live in small village and we're the last house on the LX supply).

We get a fair few power cuts every year - so many I have to keep a Petrol Generator in the garden hut!!!

Best regards

Joe

13. wattsj

wattsj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panny PWD6 is completely silent on all scenes :clap:

14. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Joe, this is really not my business but I can't help asking. How on earth would a plasma retailer and expert like you end up getting the HDE when the general educated opinion is that the MXE is way better and cheaper. A leftover from the shop?

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    rauer

Your not the first to ask!

I usually keep one of each of the screens that we sell/promote to hand so that we can do any fault finding or configuration testing when we are planning a system for our customers.

I usually have a Panasonic PWD, a Pioneer MXE and a Pioneer HDE in the dem stock - as the PWD and MXE are also supplied to our corporate customers (most of whom require an on-site dem) then its simplest to use the HDE as my TV as it tends to stay put and not get stuck in a van in a flight case every few days.

Best regards

Joe

PS I do have my video sources running through a Lumagen Vision external processor - so the HDE Media Box doesn't do much in my system :)