Recommendation receiver for Monitor Audio speakers

LFN

Standard Member
Looking for some recommendations to replace my old Onkyo TX-NR818. Its driving a Monitor Audio Silver RS6 AV 5.1 package setup.

I just bought a Sony XR-75X90J with 4K/120Hz and found out that the Onkyo cant passthrough 4K. So looking for an HDMI 2.1 AV receiver that has 4K/120 Hz passthrough. And also has enough power, and can match my speaker setup which i will keep.

I started checking out the Yamaha RX-V6A but been told that it is not good enough for my speakers. Then started looking at the Denon AVR-X2700H and AVC-X3700H. And the Yamaha RX-A2A and RX-A4A. The Onkyo TX-NR7100 seems to be sold only on the US markets and not in Europe where I live.

The AVC-X3700H and the RX-A4A is a little bit above my budget, but I can consider them if it is a worthy upgrade to my speakers.

Looking forward to getting some advice about the receivers that is mentioned :)

Thanks

MattyBB

Hi LFN,

Both the Denon AVR-X2700H and AVC-X3700H have 4K @ 120 Hz

Looking at the Yamaha's, only the RX-A4A seems to have 4K @ 120 Hz right now, the other two you mentioned say "these features are available via future update", so it depends if you are willing to wait for that to save some cash now. Piece of string comes to mind though...

None of the amps will drive your floorstanders to thier max potential (would require around 200w amp to provide ideal 3dB headroom) but all amps have enough juice to get them going within reason, so long as your room is not too large.

Something I couldn't afford at the time but wish i had the option of now, is pre-outs on my AVR. These offer options of connecting dedicated power amps in the future (as cash allows), which would be ideal for your front floorstanders. It would then also alleviate some drain on the AVR overall power demand, possibly benefitting the rest of the speakers in the setup, or at very least prevent the AVR from running too hot if cranked up.

All of the Yamaha's offer this for the front 2 speakers. The Denon AVR-X2700H doesn't offer it at all.

The Yamaha RX-A4A and the Denon AVC-X3700H both have pre-outs throughout all their outputs (7.1 & 9/11.1, respectively).

If it were my money, I'd be considering the Yamaha RX-A4A and the Denon AVC-X3700H for the following reasons:

• 4K @ 120 Hz out of the box (after readily-available firmware updates)
  • Slightly more power per channel (your speakers will benefit from it)
  • Pre-outs across all channels (future-proofing)

Of the two, the Yamaha has 5W / channel more juice but the Denon has more amplified channels (9 vs 7). The Yamaha is heavier, if this means anything 😉

Others may be able to suggest other options but I hope this helps against the options you have considered so far.

LFN

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply, the help is much appreciated. The Denon AVC-X3700H is on top of my wishlist. I will look after some Black Friday deals.

anteranz

Hola la serie rs es algo brillante, ojo con denon / yamaha que suelen enfatizar los agudos.

Mejor marantz para esas cajas que las he tenido hasta hace un año.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom