Recommendation: PUS7304/34 - Firestick 4k

kniknax

Standard Member
Reaction score
Like many 7300 series owners I have been unhappy with the 4k / HDR on my TV, spending days fiddling with settings and arguing with Philips about their apps not working properly.

I recently got the new amazon 4k firestick in the sales (£6 per month for 5 months) and the difference on this TV is incredible.

it plugs directly into the HDMI slot, and can be powered via the TVs USB slot - although it seems to give too little power at times causing a slight stutter - so I recommend powering it using the provided plug. It uses CRC so you can use the TV remote.

It connects to my wifi with no issues and contains all the apps I need including Prime, Netflix, Apple TV, YouTube, Disney, iplayer, iPhone airplay and many more.

I’m unsure how they set it up, but it’s MUCH brighter than any of the default Philips apps, and even my PS4/5.

The built in HDR outputs better colours, and the Dolby Vision on Apple TV and Netflix looks awesome and much sharper. In fact when I first saw the menu I was grinning - even the apps looked crisp and bright compared to Philips smart menu.

It outputs Dolby with no issues and sounds great using a sound system connected to the TV, with no sync problems.

This has totally changed my view (forgive the pun) on the 7334 TVs capabilities - as well as the quality of streaming services.

Apple TV (for example) outputs movies that look better than my Panasonic 4k disc player was doing on this TV - mainly due the extra brightness of the Firestick. Watching the new lord of the rings 4k set on the Firestick in Dolby vision via Apple TV app was a revelation. And it’s cheaper (£17 for the extended Dolby Vision box set on Apple compared to £75 for the physical discs) - with the colour and brightness popping off the screen.
Amazon Prime shows such as the Expanse and Grand Tour look fantastic, as do Netflix Dolby Vision shows such as Discovery.

If you have a 7334/7304 TV I would recommend trying it - especially as you can return it to Amazon before 30 days after purchase if you’re not happy.

I’d recommend setting the contrast and brightness lower than you would for the built in apps, as it allows the Firestick HDR/DV system to use the additional brightness headroom on the TV to make the HDR really pop - and the sticks extra brightness means you don’t need it set to max anymore (for those who did).

I don’t work for Amazon - but I am just happy to be able to actually enjoy my TV without constantly feeling that my settings must be wrong.

(I have a 55PUS7334/12 connected to a Sony sound system via eARC)

I totally agree. I've experienced all the things you have mentioned, overall the fact that i can get 4k and dolby vision or hdr despite the native app on tv, and also like you said, much brighter colors and perfect picture, the difference is BIG! I don't work for amazon too, but i've to admit it's better than the tv.

I have the PUS9005 and I'm in the same boat, except that I'm still experiencing the stutters even when plugged to outlet.
The only way I can fix the stutters is by not using Smooth motion.

Using Fire Stick plays even the menu in Dolby, the reason why even the menu looks so good, but this makes the TV interface laggy and unresponsive - sometimes I have the feeling there is a conflict causing the stutters....hopefully its just my fire stick faulty.

Í totally agree. Phillips can't or won't fix their internal apps but the TV works great with a firestick 4k attached. Controlled via the TV remote it's a joy to use. I'm a 70 inch 7304 owner and was about to return the TV feed up losing prime hdr 10+, Disney hdr etc. For 25 quid its brought the TV to life. It's a small price to pay to stop having to worry about the TVs apps. I just wish more people would try it and start enjoying their TVs rather than spend more time chasing Phillips and posting on here about issues. Oh well

I think Philips can, but they have to cooperate with app provider, so they don't want to deal.... (don't know reasons), and Istrongly prefer Fire Tv for quality even compared to native tv apps when they use to work in 4k hdr or vision, but it's a shame from Philips. Anyway Philips is not the only one with this big issue.

Í totally agree. Phillips can't or won't fix their internal apps but the TV works great with a firestick 4k attached. Controlled via the TV remote it's a joy to use. I'm a 70 inch 7304 owner and was about to return the TV feed up losing prime hdr 10+, Disney hdr etc. For 25 quid its brought the TV to life. It's a small price to pay to stop having to worry about the TVs apps. I just wish more people would try it and start enjoying their TVs rather than spend more time chasing Phillips and posting on here about issues. Oh well
Where does one can find firestick ultra for 25? Cheapest I seen 40 quids.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom