1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation on Denon versus NAD

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hzambran, Jan 4, 2003.

Tags:
?
  1. NAD 761

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Denon 2802

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Outlaw 1050

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hzambran

hzambran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just building my first home theater system and have a modest budget. Looking to get a better than mass consumer quality AV receiver and am considering a used low mid-range off of eBay. Am considering between Denon 2802 and NAD T761.

Seems like NAD had some quality issues (out of the box type not ongoing), but assuming I can find one that works off the bat, what would anyone who has tested these two recommend. Based on retail pricing, the 2802 would be inferior, so would the equation change with the 3802/03? Looking to spend between $400 and $500. Any others I should consider in their range? Heard Outlaw but don't like the interface much and think the NAD outperforms.

Looking to watch movies and play music for parties in a 1 bedroom carpeted apt for the time being, but in the near future a hardwood floor flat or townhome. Speakerwise, I've been told I need some decent quality speakers for the NAD receiver or else I should go down to a less powerful model (the 751)? Looking to spend $500 to $700. Is that enough? Looking at Acoustic Research and Polk's and not JBL's and Infinity's only due to user reviews. I don't have a sensitive ear but I do want a tonally balanced set that works well with this quality of receiver.

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks,
    HZ

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Hi

Generally this is a UK forum and I assume from your liberal sprinkling of $ signs that you are American.

I sugest you try asking a similar question over at the AVS Forums.

Victoria