1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation on a dvd player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Zoidy, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Zoidy

Zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After forcing myself to not buy smurfins Dv88+. i am not considering all other dvd players out there.

which in most peoples opinions is the best DVD player for a normal TV without prog scan. i dont mind the option of prog scan but it just seems a waste to spend good money on a machine that is mostly designed to excell in a different area.

obviously the dv88+ is a lovely machine (and ill probably regret not buying it) , but the lack of dvd-a and sacd worried me a little . has anyone had a chance to compare the picture and sound quality vs the new pioneer 868 or 668? they seem to be the new flavours of the month but can they perform near to the dv88+ with normal CD?

or maybe another dvd player that someone can recommend for me?

also if anyone wants to tell me the differences between the 868 and 668 .. would appreciate it :)

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    So would I :) .. According to Nexnix's Pioneer page they're identical execept one's called a 668 and the other an 868 and costs morwell over £200 more. :D

3. Zoidy

Zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol :D .. shame no one seems to have either yet.. ill play the waiting game it seems :)

4. Gomez

Gomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    868 has got i.link and internal upscaling to 720p.

Cheers,
    Gomez

5. Zoidy

Zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks

mmm.. so not worth it unless you got a pioneer plasma or summint? ;)

6. Gomez

Gomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if you don't have a suitable amp like the AX5i or the AX10i, forget about i.link.

Concerning the scaling, it's a nice feature, but not a must-have IMO. But that depends on the display device you're using. When using a tube TV, there's no need to argue, just go for the 668.

Cheers
    Gomez

7. Zoidy

Zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmm .. cleared some things up for me idd :) .. you know of any reviews or owners raving about cd playback? or not so good?

thanks gomez :)

8. Gomez

Gomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I only know of this german review:

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/pioneerdv668av.shtml

The CD sound is compared to the Denon DVD 2200. Its performance is reported to be very dynamic, crisp and offering tight bass, but the Denon offers more details. The reproduction of voices is extraordinary, just like the overall CD performance.

Anyway, I would expect the Arcam to beat the Pioneer easily when connecting it analogue to a good stereo amp.

Cheers
    Gomez

9. Zoidy

Zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmm.. cant read none of that.. if only it was norsk hehe.. thanks for the link.. looks like alot of 6 stars for that 668..

do i go sacd/dvda with the imo ugleh 668.. or do i stick to cd and find a nice dv88+ eventually.. decisions decisions :D

thanks for all your time gomez :D

10. jfinneru

jfinneru
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    nannestad, close to Gardermoen, the int airport in
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you buy the latest issue of hi-fi news (february issue) there is a test with denon dvd-a11 against pioneer 668/868 + one marantz 2000£ player. the pioneer duo kicked some arse! og hvis du vil ha det på norsk.. he he jeg har 668'en. knall spiller! samt at jeg venter på å få 868 denne uken. gå inn på pioneer.no der kan du sammenligne de to modellene direkte.

11. Zoidy

Zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tusen Takk :)

12. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: