1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation needed Dynaudio BM6A or ATC Active 10

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tripez, Oct 27, 2003.

1. tripez

tripez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to buy a pair of speaker for my hcpc. My primary goal is for music fidelity in stereo now. With the added option to add more speakers and a pre/pro for surround in the future.

I have search these forum and others with the conclusion to go with active speakers. Primary reasons are better sound purity, no added cost for an Amp and future flexible update path.

My budget is around £1000 and the two contenders are:-

Dynaudio BM6A (studio monitor near-field) or the

ATC Active 10

Following Blanxs posts I have purchased the RME hsp9632 soundcard.

Connection via Speakers xlr - xlr rme pc.

Anyone here have this setup please advice me the bonuses or pitfall of these speaker.

The reason I am making this post is because no one has compare these two before.

Ken

2. perrin21

perrin21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Always audition speakers yourself prior to purchase, preferably with your own system. By choosing an active speaker you do limit yourself to fewer options. Consider buying a good analogue power amplifier, the myryad ma240 is a good choice and it will drive speakers up to £2000 with ease. Remember all ears are very different, some 5 star reviewed speakers sound bad to me but great to others.

3. tripez

tripez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    perrin21

Luckly there is a store in my city to audition the BM6A (Digital Village), but finding a place to hear the ATC is harder to find than a needle.

I live in bristol so if anyone knows of a place please direct me.

Ken

4. tripez

tripez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got to audition the ATC Active 20. They werealot bigger in size compared to the Active 10s. It look better in the flesh.

I listen to some Jazz and Pink Floyd for more than half an hour. Timing and attack was very good. They played loud in mid size room. But for base you will still need a sub-woofer.

Stereo imaging was good playing dance music. But was lacking in jazz and classicals (Big Gripe).

Midrange was too intrusive for my taste (Jazz and classicals).

I hope the Dynaudio's will do better.

5. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have 3 Bm6a's for sale in the FS forum if you havent managed to buy any yet :)