Recommendation: KEF KHT3005 / KEF KHT5005 / Focal Sib Evo Dolby Atmos / Canton Movie 365

blinkin

I hope you can help me with a decision about which speakers should I be upgrading to for my home theater.

My current setup is Onkyo TX SR-607 with Tannoy SFX 5.1. I'm mainly using them for movies but probably by upgrading to something better would use them also for music so preferably 75% movies and 25% music. Front speakers are mounted on the wall and rear ones on stands. Speakers will be placed in a living room of size 4m x 7m. I'm sitting about 3m away from the TV / front speakers and the rear speakers are in the middle of the room close to where I'm sitting. Only compact speakers are an option.

I've already bought a Sony STR-DN1080 AV receiver and I'm currently looking at the following options available in my country (Switzerland) for compact 5.1 speakers:
1. KEF KHT3005 - used ones 600$
2. KEF KHT5005 - 700$
3. Focal Sib Evo Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 - 1150$
4. Canton Movie 365 - 630$

I know there are many factors to consider when buying speakers and I should listen to them before buying, but maybe some of you have compared some of these and share your experience? That would awesome!

password1

The Focals have great reviews. However I would go for the Canton system to be a safer bet because Caton don't make poor systems.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I hope you can help me with a decision about which speakers should I be upgrading to for my home theater.

My current setup is Onkyo TX SR-607 with Tannoy SFX 5.1. I'm mainly using them for movies but probably by upgrading to something better would use them also for music so preferably 75% movies and 25% music. Front speakers are mounted on the wall and rear ones on stands. Speakers will be placed in a living room of size 4m x 7m. I'm sitting about 3m away from the TV / front speakers and the rear speakers are in the middle of the room close to where I'm sitting. Only compact speakers are an option.

I've already bought a Sony STR-DN1080 AV receiver and I'm currently looking at the following options available in my country (Switzerland) for compact 5.1 speakers:
1. KEF KHT3005 - used ones 600$
2. KEF KHT5005 - 700$
3. Focal Sib Evo Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 - 1150$
4. Canton Movie 365 - 630$

I know there are many factors to consider when buying speakers and I should listen to them before buying, but maybe some of you have compared some of these and share your experience? That would awesome!

Check out if Monitor Audio Radius 90 and 200 / 225 center channel comes up. For surround speakers "rears" Radius 45 works only close to wall/wall mounted due to rear firing tweeter so another pair of 90s. These might be out of your budget not sure. They are also sold with same names with HD before the number, older range. Another option from Monitor Audio would be the Mass serie (Gen1). Also Q Acoustics 7000i 5.1 would be good choice. From your list i would guess that Focal would be best sounding for music, they are also largest.

B&W M1 (2012 model, front mask goes all the way to up - older doesn´t) could be small option too used, very popular in many countries.

Tough to choose without listening, especially used ones. Speakers are often fine to buy used, but with subwoofer (amp) you might get lucky or it starts to get faults. The Kef E system subs are known to have amp issues. If you can find speakers (5.0) then you can buy any you want and buy another brand subwoofer as there is no matching requirements. Sadly all the cheap ones are more or less poor. I would at least want some warranty for it.

blinkin

The Focals have great reviews. However I would go for the Canton system to be a safer bet because Caton don't make poor systems.
Thanks.
Check out if Monitor Audio Radius 90 and 200 / 225 center channel comes up. For surround speakers "rears" Radius 45 works only close to wall/wall mounted due to rear firing tweeter so another pair of 90s. These might be out of your budget not sure. They are also sold with same names with HD before the number, older range. Another option from Monitor Audio would be the Mass serie (Gen1). Also Q Acoustics 7000i 5.1 would be good choice. From your list i would guess that Focal would be best sounding for music, they are also largest.

B&W M1 (2012 model, front mask goes all the way to up - older doesn´t) could be small option too used, very popular in many countries.

Tough to choose without listening, especially used ones. Speakers are often fine to buy used, but with subwoofer (amp) you might get lucky or it starts to get faults. The Kef E system subs are known to have amp issues. If you can find speakers (5.0) then you can buy any you want and buy another brand subwoofer as there is no matching requirements. Sadly all the cheap ones are more or less poor. I would at least want some warranty for it.
Thanks a lot. Monitor Audio seems like a great investment although it might exceed my budget ;) I also like the fact that it would be easily expendable for Atmos as I could place speakers on top of the front ones which I can't do with the other ones. So now I'm a bit more convinced to go for Monitor instead of Focal Atmos which I guess are worse than the Monitor?

Regarding KEF KHT3005 - there is an offer for used ones without sub so that would also be an option I guess. How would you compare the KEF's with Monitor Radius 90? Is it day and night or rather close? The initial price of KEF's I think was about the same as Monitor - 1400-1500$.

Bowers + Wilkins MT-50 is 1750$ here. If I go so high, I guess the Monitor would be a better option?

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks.

Thanks a lot. Monitor Audio seems like a great investment although it might exceed my budget ;) I also like the fact that it would be easily expendable for Atmos as I could place speakers on top of the front ones which I can't do with the other ones. So now I'm a bit more convinced to go for Monitor instead of Focal Atmos which I guess are worse than the Monitor?

Regarding KEF KHT3005 - there is an offer for used ones without sub so that would also be an option I guess. How would you compare the KEF's with Monitor Radius 90? Is it day and night or rather close? The initial price of KEF's I think was about the same as Monitor - 1400-1500$.

Bowers + Wilkins MT-50 is 1750$ here. If I go so high, I guess the Monitor would be a better option?

It´s so tough to compare without listening as people have different tastes, so one can´t say this is best for everyone. Radius has been long very popular and with good sub should be very enjoyable system for both music and movies. They have real wood veneer cabinets (walnut). I´m of course bit biased as i have owned and heard many Monitor Audio speakers. Would be hard to imagine someone disliking the sound, but i still let people make the final decsion. Very small in size when you see them (Radius 90), not sure is there any as small upfiring speakers to put on top as they are usually lot wider so would it look odd then. Monitor Audio Bronze AMS would be ideal, but you can use other brands too. Just keep in mind that you would meet these:

For optimal performance, the ceiling should be flat (not angled or vaulted), with a height between 7.5 and 14 feet (2.3 to 4.3 meters), and made of an acoustically reflective material (drywall, plaster, hardwood, or another rigid, non---sound-absorbing material).

If you buy them used make sure they are either of these ranges. There is third which are older and look bit different, they are very old. This is the latest:

This was before that:

Kef Eggs is one of the most popular pick in this range for sure so they are good choice no doubt. There is lot of reviews and owners talk at different forums. They have sealed satellite type cabinets with special shape, easy to wall mount for sure. I don´t think they are as good for music listening with sub as Radius based system if that matters.

PS. If you buy new buy speakers alone (5.0), we need to look what would be decent sub. There is no need to buy the "package" subwoofer, especially if you aren´t tight on budget. There is better ones from dedicated subwoofer manufacturers that offer lot better bang for your buck. Your room isn´t really small either so if you want bit more "oomph" for latest blockbusters please don´t go cheap with woofer. Big black box is often issue due to wife though. This is UK based forum, you posted prices in dollars.

You have few SVS Outlet Stores in Switzerland. You could ask is there any open box woofers available. Example, if you would consider the larger one i would wait little. Tell me your thoughts are they too expensive. Gloss white/black is available for the smaller one but for extra cost.

azone.ch
Zürichstrasse 2
CH-8134 Adliswil/ZH
Tel.: +41 (0)43 534 57 25
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web: www.azone.ch

Homecinema GmbH
Muehlebachweg 5A/5B
CH-3506 Grosshoechstetten
Tel.: +41 31 711 00 00
Mobile +41 79 366 42 24
Fax: +41 31 711 01 00
Web: www.homecinema.ch

Müller + Spring AG
Hauptstrasse 8
CH-5200 Brugg
Tel.: +41 56 442 2040
Web: www.mueller-spring.ch

blinkin

It´s so tough to compare without listening as people have different tastes, so one can´t say this is best for everyone. Radius has been long very popular and with good sub should be very enjoyable system for both music and movies. They have real wood veneer cabinets (walnut). I´m of course bit biased as i have owned and heard many Monitor Audio speakers. Would be hard to imagine someone disliking the sound, but i still let people make the final decsion. Very small in size when you see them (Radius 90), not sure is there any as small upfiring speakers to put on top as they are usually lot wider so would it look odd then. Monitor Audio Bronze AMS would be ideal, but you can use other brands too. Just keep in mind that you would meet these:

For optimal performance, the ceiling should be flat (not angled or vaulted), with a height between 7.5 and 14 feet (2.3 to 4.3 meters), and made of an acoustically reflective material (drywall, plaster, hardwood, or another rigid, non---sound-absorbing material).

If you buy them used make sure they are either of these ranges. There is third which are older and look bit different, they are very old. This is the latest:

This was before that:

Kef Eggs is one of the most popular pick in this range for sure so they are good choice no doubt. There is lot of reviews and owners talk at different forums. They have sealed satellite type cabinets with special shape, easy to wall mount for sure. I don´t think they are as good for music listening with sub as Radius based system if that matters.

PS. If you buy new buy speakers alone (5.0), we need to look what would be decent sub. There is no need to buy the "package" subwoofer, especially if you aren´t tight on budget. There is better ones from dedicated subwoofer manufacturers that offer lot better bang for your buck. Your room isn´t really small either so if you want bit more "oomph" for latest blockbusters please don´t go cheap with woofer. Big black box is often issue due to wife though. This is UK based forum, you posted prices in dollars.

You have few SVS Outlet Stores in Switzerland. You could ask is there any open box woofers available. Example, if you would consider the larger one i would wait little. Tell me your thoughts are they too expensive. Gloss white/black is available for the smaller one but for extra cost.

azone.ch
Zürichstrasse 2
CH-8134 Adliswil/ZH
Tel.: +41 (0)43 534 57 25
Web: www.azone.ch

Homecinema GmbH
Muehlebachweg 5A/5B
CH-3506 Grosshoechstetten
Tel.: +41 31 711 00 00
Mobile +41 79 366 42 24
Fax: +41 31 711 01 00
Web: www.homecinema.ch

Müller + Spring AG
Hauptstrasse 8
CH-5200 Brugg
Tel.: +41 56 442 2040
Web: www.mueller-spring.ch
Thanks 👍
The ceiling and room requirements for Atmos seem to be OK. I'm trying to find fitting atmos for Monitor 90 and these would be an option (maybe not perfectly matched but I guess still looking ok ☺️)

Just a minute ago I asked the azone.ch shop for a price for the Monitor set you recommended (4x 90s, 200 & 380 sub) and a possibility to try them in the shop as I live nearby. Would you rather recommend the SVS SB-1000 instead of 380? And yes, my wife is for sure an issue when it comes to sub 😱😆 Also, I live in an old house - our neighbor can hear our steps - are the vibrations from the sub "going" into the floor or it's rather not the case? If it generates lots of vibrations then I guess I can't go for a strong sub? Or would you still buy a proper one and just decrease the volume?

So I think for the moment it's about these 2 options:
1. Monitor Audio set (price to be provided)
2. KEF KHT 3005 without sub. I've read some really good reviews about them and apparently, they don't sound "small". Considering the fact that I'm not going to use it mainly for music, it might be a good compromise when it comes to price. In this case which sub would you recommend?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks 👍
The ceiling and room requirements for Atmos seem to be OK. I'm trying to find fitting atmos for Monitor 90 and these would be an option (maybe not perfectly matched but I guess still looking ok ☺️)

Just a minute ago I asked the azone.ch shop for a price for the Monitor set you recommended (4x 90s, 200 & 380 sub) and a possibility to try them in the shop as I live nearby. Would you rather recommend the SVS SB-1000 instead of 380? And yes, my wife is for sure an issue when it comes to sub 😱😆 Also, I live in an old house - our neighbor can hear our steps - are the vibrations from the sub "going" into the floor or it's rather not the case? If it generates lots of vibrations then I guess I can't go for a strong sub? Or would you still buy a proper one and just decrease the volume?

So I think for the moment it's about these 2 options:
1. Monitor Audio set (price to be provided)
2. KEF KHT 3005 without sub. I've read some really good reviews about them and apparently, they don't sound "small". Considering the fact that I'm not going to use it mainly for music, it might be a good compromise when it comes to price. In this case which sub would you recommend?

I would worry the Atmos later as it´s not going to be night and day difference. Not sure about those Pioneers, Elac A4 is popular cheap option. You then have to play with the angling little bit where is the sweet spot where it shoots etc. Ceiling won`t come "alive" so don´t get your hopes too high. There is many atmos threads where people are little bit sad as they hoped more..

Downstair neighbours are always issue especially in old house. You can and should buy some isolation "pad" for the subwoofer to decouple it from the floor. Another option is heavy peace of concrete/granite under the sub, some places used to cut those to dimensions one needs. Auralex is option, not sure if available there but you can order from Amazon (DE is likely nearest). There is different sizes so i would google more about subwoofer isolation.
Amazon product
I would still buy SVS SB1000 over the Radius sub or any other "package" woofer. You get better product for similar price, longer warranty (5years for amp) and better support/service. You could consider having the subwoofer nearfield the couch if possible, this way you don´t have to run it so high while you still get great impact! For the sake of neighbours.

The surround speakers as in surround sides (people say rears) should be placed further away from listeners. If there is option then have them at the side walls each side of couch or slightly behind the couch at sidewalls aimed toward listeners. See below link for optimal angles:

I think the Kef 3001 / 3001SE / 305 (latest) is definitely good option still if you like the looks. Clearly there is big saving with them, but not sure how you will impliment the upfiring speakers then. Best would be in-ceiling or on-ceiling speakers mounted up where your knees are when you sit roughly. The effects would come directly where they suppose to come! The only issue is hiding the wires with on-ceiling route. But D-line speaker wire trunking in white is option. You can also add front heights on front wall high up just below ceiling aimed toward listeners. So extra pair of Eggs example. Not sure if wife would agree though.

blinkin

I would worry the Atmos later as it´s not going to be night and day difference. Not sure about those Pioneers, Elac A4 is popular cheap option. You then have to play with the angling little bit where is the sweet spot where it shoots etc. Ceiling won`t come "alive" so don´t get your hopes too high. There is many atmos threads where people are little bit sad as they hoped more..

Downstair neighbours are always issue especially in old house. You can and should buy some isolation "pad" for the subwoofer to decouple it from the floor. Another option is heavy peace of concrete/granite under the sub, some places used to cut those to dimensions one needs. Auralex is option, not sure if available there but you can order from Amazon (DE is likely nearest). There is different sizes so i would google more about subwoofer isolation.
Amazon product
I would still buy SVS SB1000 over the Radius sub or any other "package" woofer. You get better product for similar price, longer warranty (5years for amp) and better support/service. You could consider having the subwoofer nearfield the couch if possible, this way you don´t have to run it so high while you still get great impact! For the sake of neighbours.

The surround speakers as in surround sides (people say rears) should be placed further away from listeners. If there is option then have them at the side walls each side of couch or slightly behind the couch at sidewalls aimed toward listeners. See below link for optimal angles:

I think the Kef 3001 / 3001SE / 305 (latest) is definitely good option still if you like the looks. Clearly there is big saving with them, but not sure how you will impliment the upfiring speakers then. Best would be in-ceiling or on-ceiling speakers mounted up where your knees are when you sit roughly. The effects would come directly where they suppose to come! The only issue is hiding the wires with on-ceiling route. But D-line speaker wire trunking in white is option. You can also add front heights on front wall high up just below ceiling aimed toward listeners. So extra pair of Eggs example. Not sure if wife would agree though.
Cools, thanks for the tip regarding the granite pad. It even ships here.

Atmos is nice-to-have. I would rather invest more in 5.1 quality than atmos. But if there is an option to add them later, then I would rather look in this direction. Of course with KEF's that's not possible. In-ceiling speakers would really be a lot of effort so not sure if I even consider this option.

I'll wait for the pricing for Monitor (380 replaced with SVS SB-1000) and then decide on the next steps. Thanks a lot - your help is greatly appreciated 👍

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Cools, thanks for the tip regarding the granite pad. It even ships here.

Atmos is nice-to-have. I would rather invest more in 5.1 quality than atmos. But if there is an option to add them later, then I would rather look in this direction. Of course with KEF's that's not possible. In-ceiling speakers would really be a lot of effort so not sure if I even consider this option.

I'll wait for the pricing for Monitor (380 replaced with SVS SB-1000) and then decide on the next steps. Thanks a lot - your help is greatly appreciated 👍

Maybe also ask from some hardware stores: A thick heavy slab of granite, marble, concrete in close size of the sub. It may come cheaper than the Auralex and work similar way decoupling the sub from floor.

Yeah definitely put more effort for the 5.1 first.

Shame you bought receiver already, you probably would got more discount buying everything together but hopefully you still get good deal. I would ask prices from all MA / SVS dealers you have there.

If you buy another pair of Radius 90 for surround sides and keep them close to couch then some type of stands are required also. MA stands aren´t cheap so you need to think those too. As for Kef Eggs not sure is there any stands..

blinkin

Maybe also ask from some hardware stores: A thick heavy slab of granite, marble, concrete in close size of the sub. It may come cheaper than the Auralex and work similar way decoupling the sub from floor.

Yeah definitely put more effort for the 5.1 first.

Shame you bought receiver already, you probably would got more discount buying everything together but hopefully you still get good deal. I would ask prices from all MA / SVS dealers you have there.

If you buy another pair of Radius 90 for surround sides and keep them close to couch then some type of stands are required also. MA stands aren´t cheap so you need to think those too. As for Kef Eggs not sure is there any stands..
The receiver was an urgent case as in my old Onkyo the HDMI CEC stopped working but it triggered a thought of replacing the speakers so it's good 😆

Stands for KEF's are included in the set so that'd be sorted. Any stands you would recommend for Monitor 90? I can't find the original ones in Switzerland.

killbillr1

Novice Member
Thanks.

Hi I have kef 3005 5.1 system, they sounded great but lacked oomph, went to my local audio store to upgrade the fronts to kef r3, after having a chat they lent me a Rel t7i sub to replace the kef one. WOW what a difference it made.
so I didnt get the R 3,s I bought rel instead

blinkin

Hi I have kef 3005 5.1 system, they sounded great but lacked oomph, went to my local audio store to upgrade the fronts to kef r3, after having a chat they lent me a Rel t7i sub to replace the kef one. WOW what a difference it made.
so I didnt get the R 3,s I bought rel instead
Thanks for a tip but I already extended my budget from 1k to 2k and I'm not gonna push it further 😉 I'm going for 4x monitor audio radius 90 + 200 + SVS SB-1000 with Monitor stands for about 2150.

Thanks to all👍

killbillr1

Novice Member
Thanks for a tip but I already extended my budget from 1k to 2k and I'm not gonna push it further 😉 I'm going for 4x monitor audio radius 90 + 200 + SVS SB-1000 with Monitor stands for about 2150.

Thanks to all👍
apparently the svs sub is ment to be good, at half the price of the rel, according to a lot of people on this forum

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom