Recommendation help

N

nathan1977

Hi all,

I've bought a Panny TH42PX70 last friday and so far am pretty impressed.

Can anyone recommend a upscaling dvd player for use with it pls.

A friend of mine recommended the Samsung DVD HD860, but i'm not familiar with it and i did consider the denon 1930 but have read about lip sync probs.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

thanks

Hi,

There is a successor to the 860 which is the 870. Amazon are doing it for £60. I will probably get that but i just need to know if it will upscale DIVX files.

Good luck

Why do you think a very cheap DVD player will do a better job than an expensive telly?

R u saying that i should stick with the my standard Sony DVD and let the TV do the work?

What makes u think this would be better than buying a upscaling dvd player?

There is no extra cost involved.

Anyway, I asked you first. Why do you expect a very cheap DVD player to do a better upscaling job than an expensive, Panasonic plasma?

The obvious answer would be the quality of the upscaler present in the tv and or the dvd player.

I'm not sure tbh so have asked the question, hoping to gleen some more information so i can decide whether to stick with my current sony running on S-vhs or upgrade to a hdmi version which upscales.

Simple really and in the grand scheme of things the 'expensive' plasma isn't really that expensive!

In your first post you didn't even mention that you had a player already!
Surely your present player has an RGB scart output?
Why not try that first and see what the picture's like?

If it looks like cack, then by all means invest in a new player (plenty of info in this forum) but do remember that your expensive plasma (it is expensive compared to a 60 quid Samsung player) will probably do as good, or better, an upscaling job as the players in this price range.

In the same boat Nathan.
I have a dvd player but it was purchased as an emergency when the old one carped it a couple of years back. This is now on it's last legs so I too have to look into a new one when my PX70 turns up.
Had no idea about upscaling till I read these threads over the last couple of days...so do I save money on a SD (non upscaling) DVD player or jump on one of these Samsung's at what seems a fair price. Not even sure whether an upscaler would have a HDMI connection, or whether you actually require one when upscaling???
Cheers.

Personally, my upscaling dvd player (oppo981) does a much better job than my tv (samsung f71).

I would say that a dvd player with an hdmi output would be a good idea, even if it doesn't upscale - if your tv has a good built-in scaler, you want to provide it with the best quality data to start with. If you give it a rubbish scart feed it will look even worse upscaled.

I can recommend to you the denon 1730, I only use it on progressive scan through component and it has a very sharp image. I let my crt tv upscale it, its a Jvc set. Ive heard the upscaling on this one is good through HDMI. This has the panasonic chip not the faroudja. I have a player with the faroudja chip for deinterlacing and there is very little difference if you have good cables plugged in. Sound is also suberb for the price of this machine and no lyp sync issues at all and i have it plugged into an old yamaha amp. I was watching I-robot yesterday and the picture was stunning. Mind you my tv is only 32" so i dont know how it would fair with a bigger tv.

Personally i wouldn`t bother, unless you are going to spend circa £200 on at least the oppo.

I have recently bought a pio 427, i`m using an existing Tosh SD220E through component and it looks stunning. I borrowed my brother`s Sony NS76H connected via HDMI to compare.

I could not notice any difference between pictures, but if i had to choose i would still go with the Tosh.

Its not worth buying a cheapo upscaling DVD to go with an expensive TV, unless you other player has died IMO.

If your sony has componant out try using this, the picture improvement from scart is amazing.

HTH Phil

I've just bought some component leads, so will try them tonight and see what happens.

I guess the improvement over s-vhs will be noticable, well im hoping anyway!

Personally i wouldn`t bother, unless you are going to spend circa £200 on at least the oppo.

I have recently bought a pio 427, i`m using an existing Tosh SD220E through component and it looks stunning. I borrowed my brother`s Sony NS76H connected via HDMI to compare.

I could not notice any difference between pictures, but if i had to choose i would still go with the Tosh.

Its not worth buying a cheapo upscaling DVD to go with an expensive TV, unless you other player has died IMO.

If your sony has componant out try using this, the picture improvement from scart is amazing.

HTH Phil

Yes, our current player is on it's way out (it never completes films...sticking on the last 10 mins or so...cleaned it several times etc. It's a real cheap philips number...I think it came free with a packet of honey nut loops). So I have to get a new one anyhow. Point taken re using the TV's upscaler...anyone recommend a cheapish player wih compont outs/HDMI outs?
Cheers.

Hello, AV novice hear with some old gear I would like to upgrade. Presently have Technics DVD A7 and Technics SA-DA8 with Tosh 40PW8DB Rear Projection, also got some Mission Speakers. I'm planning to purchase a flat 42" Plasma and would like to wall hang it but have minimal wiring to and from it to the amp and DVD player. I've noticed a lot of talk around HDMI and it's greatness and my thoughts were that it would be great to connect to TV using one wire through an HDMI amp which would receive SKY and Upscaled DVD. Now I'm a bit confused as this thread now implies TV can upscale?

Q1 . Can TV upscale from normal DVD player?
Q2 . Could anyone recommend DVD and Amp combo for about £750 that would fit the bill HDMI in and out, so very little wiring?

Please bear in mind I'm a novice so no technical jargon would be good...

Hello, AV novice hear with some old gear I would like to upgrade. Presently have Technics DVD A7 and Technics SA-DA8 with Tosh 40PW8DB Rear Projection, also got some Mission Speakers. I'm planning to purchase a flat 42" Plasma and would like to wall hang it but have minimal wiring to and from it to the amp and DVD player. I've noticed a lot of talk around HDMI and it's greatness and my thoughts were that it would be great to connect to TV using one wire through an HDMI amp which would receive SKY and Upscaled DVD. Now I'm a bit confused as this thread now implies TV can upscale?

Q2 . Could anyone recommend DVD and Amp combo for about £750 that would fit the bill HDMI in and out, so very little wiring?

Sorry, forgot to add that there is nothing wrong with the amp and DVD player. I just felt it was time to upgrade as technology has moved on a lot, and the TV is on it's way out. If the new TV can do the upscaling from the DVD player I'd be happy if the pictures on HD ready screen were really good.

Again over to you experts, all the magazine reading is doing my head in. I'm worse off than when I started!!

1. All plasma/LCD displays upscale. If they didn`t the picture you see on the screen would be much smaller with lots of black borders. Cheap upscalers are basically a blag to make you think you need a new DVD in order to take advantage of your shiny new HDMI connections.

2. Try here for an amp:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507845
As for DVD, i know both oppo and denon are well thought of. TBH most now come with HDMI and upscaling whether you like it or not.

Phil

Q1 So what your saying is my old DVD should show on new telly at HD Quality?
Q2 Who are OPPO? Apologies for not knowing accronyms here..

Tahnks for 1st answers

1. No, your TV will show 576i/p upscaled to 720i/p so that it fits the screen. The TV and its processors will add the extra information to the picture. An HD source will feed its pictures at 720i/p or 1080i/p. This means that the TV has little or no processing to do in order to display the full picture.
Hope this makes sense, and if anyone can explain it better please feel free.

2. Search Oppo, info here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440737 and
http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/dvd_players.htm

HTH Phil

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom