Recommendation: Headphones for movies on a PC - £150

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Dabbles, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Dabbles

Dabbles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can anyone recommend a good pair of headphones for watching movies on a PC?

Source will be HD-DVD and Blu-Ray disks via a Creative X-FI soundcard.

I've read many good reviews of the Grado SR60 and I don't necessarily want to spend more than I need to. Detail is important, but also want to get as much punch in the low frequencies as possible.

Any advice much appreciated!

2. mattski73

mattski73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the low end Grado's are easier to drive, but look at the Sennheiser HD25-1's as well.

3. chippyteaforme

chippyteaforme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    If you don't mind open cans (headphones which leak a lot of noise, so people around you can hear what you are listening to - and also let some external noise in, when you play at lower volumes), then my money is DEFINATELY on the Sennheiser HD595.

A cracking set of headphones, not as 'in your face' as the Grado offerings, but very comfortable, easy to drive from a PC, and excellent clarity and soundstaging.

As much as I love my AKG K701s, I'd assume that their similarly priced model to the Sennheiser would be a bit too 'laid back' for film listening. My ones only really shine when properly amplified, and with the volume at stupid levels. The HD595 are great all rounders, and if you pick them up at around the £80 price point (I think the best price I ever achieved was £69 new inc P&P, the normal price on eBay and such like seems to be about £80), a massive bargain in my opinion.

I've converted many a can-doubter with them - I reckon Sennheiser owe me commission! :)

4. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I'd agree with Bencrest above almost word for word. The SR60 are open so would suffer the same issue as the HD595.

If you don't want to disturb others sitting nearby then look for closed headphones such as the HD25-1

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    Beyerdynamic DT880 are definitely worth checking out.

My normal recommendation would be Sennheiser HD650, but I'm not sure if a computer sound card would produce enough current to drive them properly. If you can audition them on your own system before buying then you should definitely do so.

6. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    A few weeks ago I bought some Grado SR-80 i don't know how long they take to run-in but i've used them a lot, now with a Beresford DAC mk 6/3 via it's much improved headphone amp, and i just find them far too toppy.

I still have my Sennie HP-25 SP which i like. But my biggest surprise after reading another thread was buying a pair of Equation RP-21. A real revelation for £45.00 plus £10.00 p&p. They haven't run in yet but sound like i was hoping the SR-80 to be, and to my ears no sign of the harsh treble some people have noticed. They have a very neutral sound with a slight bass bias (if that makes sense) which i love, but they are closed phones and the soundfield sometimes sounds more 'in-your-head' than my open HP-25 SP and SR-80.

I just wish i had put all the money i have spent on phones (3 pairs px-100, RS-45 cordless and the three above) and bought an expensive set. I still hope to one day.

7. Dabbles

Dabbles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I think I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser HD595. Will let you know how I get on....

8. Broosta

Broosta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I'd say get some Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 ohm model).

Cost £83,
    closed,
    circum aural,
    hard wearing,
    comfy to wear,
    best bass of all cans in price range and a bit higher,
    general sound quality pretty good,
    maybe mids slightly recessed although rumour has it that the current ones are better in this department.

Slightly harder to drive than some cans but sound will improve if and when amp is added - I just got some and they sound great on my Emu 1820M sound card without additional amping, although sound significantly worse on my Archos 404.

DT770 is a step up from the HD595. I have heard people say the sound leakage from HD959s is much louder than they thought so read into that what you may.