Recommendation for turntable + Hifi Speakers

nwdvhomie

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I kind of have a mess of systems across the house, we are finally getting around to finish basement (which will be bar/pool table/gym area - open floor plan of about 800 sq ft)

We will have bar on one end and gym on the other and in the middle play area. Looking to get a turntable and speakers for this 15X54 area. Trying to do it as DIY, much appreciate any recommendations. Stick with Bose? or do something else.

Current System:
I have Bose Lifestyle system in living room and outside.
I have Bose Wave in Master and Bose Soundtouch in the office
Kef 5.1 in the theater with Marantz

To completely fill a room of that size (~90 sqm) with tonally balanced sound will need very large speakers and plenty of amplifier power. That's expensive. Maybe you only want fill part of the space, the middle area?

Whatever, one decision to make at the start is whether to assemble a conventional passive system (i.e. separate amplifier and speakers) or an active system (i.e. amplifiers built in to each speaker where a separate amplifier is connected to each drive unit). For DIY, the former may give more choice whereas, IME, the latter may give better audio quality for the same outlay.

I've heard a handful of Bose speakers over the years and can't say I've been impressed with any. That's not to say there isn't a nice Bose speaker out there.

Madison Sound sell many speaker kits. Decide on what part of the basement you wish to fill and budget then take a look at some of their kits.

Hi All,

I kind of have a mess of systems across the house, we are finally getting around to finish basement (which will be bar/pool table/gym area - open floor plan of about 800 sq ft)

We will have bar on one end and gym on the other and in the middle play area. Looking to get a turntable and speakers for this 15X54 area. Trying to do it as DIY, much appreciate any recommendations. Stick with Bose? or do something else.
I would consider efficient horn speakers. They can go loud on low power. Is the Klipsch Cornwall within budget?

Do you have a budget in mind?

Yes, i can do Cornwall.
If you'll be auditioning, Klipsch also makes the smaller Forte. Since you have the space, I would still go with Cornwall, but it would be nice if you can arrange to hear both. It's a generalization, but people report they like the "life-like" presence produced by horns. Horn speakers tend to be quite exciting... in my experience.

Also, I recommend to read some of the Cornwall reviews and see what amplication people are matching up. If I'm not mistaken, Steve Guttenberg used amps with power between 10W and 30W. Lot's of tasty options in that range, and above.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom