Recommendation for streaming box w media player

mattDP

I'm after a streaming box with a couple of fairly simple requirements:

- has free on demand streaming, especially iPlayer and 4OD

- can stream Netflix

- can play a variety of media formats, with expandable storage to keep files on

I currently only have an HD TV but ideally I'd like something that would still work if I upgraded to 4k: I've read this can be an issue, especially with Netflix.

The trouble is not many devices work as capable media players, at least not without spending a lot of money. A cursory glance around the options sees a lot of love for the Shield Pro but that looks like overkill: I'm not interested in gaming, just watching TV.

Are there any other more affordable devices that can do those three things, ideally to 4k standard?

dion 6

- has free on demand streaming, especially iPlayer and 4OD

- can stream Netflix

- can play a variety of media formats, with expandable storage to keep files on

I currently only have an HD TV but ideally I'd like something that would still work if I upgraded to 4k: I've read this can be an issue, especially with Netflix.

The trouble is not many devices work as capable media players, at least not without spending a lot of money. A cursory glance around the options sees a lot of love for the Shield Pro but that looks like overkill: I'm not interested in gaming, just watching TV.

Are there any other more affordable devices that can do those three things, ideally to 4k standard?
There are limited one box solutions I've got a 4kUHD tv so I use the tv apps and a 4k firestick and a Vero4K as a media player as its not really app friendly. But as a one box solution I think the Nvidia shield pro is about the best you'll get

jamieu

The Shield Pro is as you point out is the obvious choice.

But if you have 2 HDMI ports you could look at using two devices. ie. a Kodi supporting Vero 4K for rock solid playback of local media on an external USB drive, alongside a low-cost Chomecast, Roku or Firestick type device for the Netflix, iPlayer and 4OD duties.

You can side load Kodi on a Firestick, but a) it's fiddly and b) you risk a firmware update removing that capability and c) there is no means of attaching a USB drive to a Firestick - so you'd have to use some sort of network storage to hold your local files.

If it's only the occasional local file you need to playback, there's a whole load of cheap no-name Android boxes on Amazon/eBay that can run Kodi. But it's a bit pot luck re. getting one that will be as stable and as issue free — esp. down the line — compared to a more official Kodi box like the Vero 4K (who actively maintain their OSMC OS to ensure full Kodi support).

dion 6

What ever media player you decide on its amazon prime day on Monday and the 4K firesticks have been nearly half price in the past and it's a great device to have as a backup

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom