1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation for SCART to S-video + 2 RCA?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Colgate7110, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi all,

First, to explain my setup - I route all of my components via my 3805, either using s-video or component inputs with a component output cable to my TV. I've just switched my Pioneer Freeview box (connected by an Ixos XHV411 SCART to s-video while the audio was sent via an optical cable) to a DigiFusion FVRT100 connected again by the XHV411 but there is no optical output anymore. Rather than run a set of phono leads and the SCART/s-video, I'd like to go a single SCART to s-video and 2 RCA audio connectors.

I'm not too keen on buying anything particularly high end pricewise - this is a freeview box after all and not a prog scan DVD player so the £55 QED lead is a bit OTT! At the same time, I don't want a supermarket special so I want a decent lead should I want to re-use it in future. I've seen the Ixos 501 lead which features the same SCART connector for about £20 which is a price I'm comfortable with and I'm happy with the picture quality for 411 cable which can't be tooooo different from the 501. The only concern I have with the 501 is it's directional and the signal runs from the s-video to the SCART which is the opposite to what I need. Would I notice running the cable in the "reverse" direction from SCART to s-video?

Alternatively can anybody recommend an alternative, no longer than 1.5m, ideally 0.75m? Is this maybe a job for a Mark Grant lead? :)

Thanks,

Colin

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi guys,

I spoke to Joe at TMF about picking up a SCART to s-video+RCA lead while at the same time my PD30 was packed off to the service centre to bring it back from the brink. I decided to hold off getting the lead until at least getting my TV back buuuuuuuuuuut... I saw a brand new boxed Ixos lead (the 501) fitting the bill on eBay for £15 and couldn't resist.

Now, a directional fully wired SCART lead is one thing. The signal might work better running in the specified direction but it still works. On a SCART to s-video lead with 2 RCA leads for audio though, it never hit me that it wouldn't work until I plugged it into my amp as there are only two audio pins connected in the lead and they're the wrong two. :(

Now ignoring my blatant impatience for a second, can this be fixed just by opening up the SCART connector (two allan key screens and the "screw" on the connector/cable opening) and swapping the audio in left pin with the audio out left pin and the same for the right audio pins and re-arranging the video pins too? Failing that, could the connections in the SCART block be resoldered?

I've opened the block up and the pins - even the wireless ones - seem stuck solid and I've not used a soldering iron for years. Is there a knack to popping the pins out? Or is there anyone on the board I can pack the cable off too with a suitable fee to sort it out for me? My bargain Ixos lead is suddenly looking less cheap... :rolleyes:

Thanks guys,

Colin