Question Recommendation for region-free Blu-ray player

lalegames

Standard Member
Hello,

I have some DVDs from different regions that I cannot play on my region 2 Blu-Ray player. I used to play them on my Laptop because it still has a DVD drive. But it's a bit of a hassle connecting my Laptop to my TV just to watch the DVD on a bigger screen. So I am searching for a decent region-free Blu-ray player that can play DVDs and Blu-rays regardless of the region.
Does anyone have a recommendation or tips what I should consider before buying one?

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
What player do you have ? Have you looked into modifying it ?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Multi-region for DVD only (i.e keeping the BD playback restricted) is typically a fairly trivial matter involving amending firmware. Multi-region BD playback is very different, typically involving a hardware modification (with attendant cost) but it does bring DVD MR with it as well.

So the first question is DVD MR only, or both? Your question suggests you only need the former - but it's worth asking.

Since no mainstream manufacturer produces players that are natively MR (for either) it's always a case of picking a selection of players that suit you and THEN seeing whether each is available suitably modified and/or can be modified after purchase; discounting any that are not and choosing from those that are. That may include your existing machine.

lalegames

Standard Member
What player do you have ? Have you looked into modifying it ?
I have a Samsung BD-ES6000 3D Blu-Ray-Player and I haven't looked into modifying it yet. I thought it might be easier to get a modified one than to do it myself since I'm not skilled in doing things like that. How difficult is the modifying process?

So the first question is DVD MR only, or both? Your question suggests you only need the former - but it's worth asking.
I only need DVD MR since I usually get Blu-rays from my region. So it would be enough if the player is able to read DVDs regardless of region and Blu-rays region 2.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I found this on another site:

Switch the BD-ES6000 on without DVD, press eject to make sure.
Very quickly and without delay between keys press the REPEAT button on the
remote followed by, depending on your original region setting, one of the
following codes:

region 1 – 29334
region 2 – 38767
region 3 – 56732
region 4 – 76884
region 5 – 53814
region 6 – 24462

and you should see your original region number on the top right corner -
immediately press 9 (you might have to do this twice), you should see the
number 9 on the top right corner.
Switch off, and this should make your player region free.

Or if you prefer to simply buy another macine that is BD Zone B (only) plus DVD (any) then for example, look here

Given the fairly low cost of many of the choices listed you may choose either
- try it with your Samung. And if you end up bricking it - buy one of these or
- simply buy one anyay.

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
I have a Samsung BD-ES6000 3D Blu-Ray-Player and I haven't looked into modifying it yet.

That's quite an old player and all you have to do is the soft-mod. Its very simple and can be done via your remote.

Just follow the process LV246 has outlined above and your player should then become DVD Multi-region free.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom