Recommendation for PC Game Controller

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I have set up a PC in the front room for the kids to play a few games on. Looking for a controller. I have a Shield controller which is good but I am finding it very fiddly to get working - I had it working at some point but then it stopped - it seems to sometimes reconnect to the Shield and it's all just a mess - maybe it's me.

I looked on Amazon and there are loads of controllers with decent reviews but they pretty much all have a lot of negative reviews about dead zones, breaking, drift etc.

How much does one need to spend to get a controller that is semi decent for some kids to play Horizon Zero Dawn etc We are not talking competitive gaming.

I see PowerA mentioned a lot at around £30-£35. I see there are Microsoft XBox controllers at around £55.

There are also cheaper ones around £20 which again on the surface have decent star ratings but get depressing when you read the reviews. All these cheaper ones seem to be an ever rotating set of brands which all use the same photos so I guess they are all the same thing.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I use My Dualshock 4/Dual Sense/Xbox Controller. Vast majority of games these days come with controller support for these so rarely come across an issue.

Upvote 0

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Can't go wrong with the xbox controller and adapter
Works perfectly out of the box
Iv used the dual shock 4 for years , but found it a bit finicky lately.

Upvote 0

rhodos

Another vote for the xbox controller from me.
My son bust his a week ago and is using mine right now - thus I am relegated to the PS4 controller. Whilst it does connect over bluetooth its just less fluid, less predictable, less 'just works'.

I took the day off today to play Elden Ring on PC having saved a lousy £14 buying on PC rather than PS5 and tbh I've spent far more time faffing around with the PS4 controller than that £14 will ever give me back. :( Had about 90 mins playing and 3 hours messing on bluetooth connections.

Xbox controller every time :)

Upvote 0

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Using an Xbox Elite here, but also have an Xbox One controller, mouse & k/b for any FPS games but the Xbox controllers are perfect for everything else. :smashin:

Upvote 0

The_Wierd

If the Xbox controller is a bit expensive, I can also recommend the 8bitdo SN30 Pro 2, for about £35, works wired or by Bluetooth and has the benefit of working with PC, Switch and phones. More a PS style shape, but it has good build quality. The D-pad is particularly good for emulators.

Amazon product

Upvote 0

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
I've a couple xbox controllers and they are decent. Just seem the easy option

Upvote 0

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Ditto with the above. Xbox / 360 controllers all the way. They seem pretty durable too (even survived Hollow Knight).

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom