Question Recommendation for mediaplayer (Android TV box?) with Dolby Vision and TrueHD Atmos support/passthrough

nedis

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello!
Since my audio system supports TrueHD and/or DTS MA only with full HDMI connection, I need a dedicated media-player to add to my set-up (play remixes directly on TV with Kodi until now).

I don't need any "smart" features or app platform support, such as Netflix, etc. as my TV handles that just fine. I just want to be able to plug my HDD with BD Remux/ISO-image and get Dolby Vision picture and TrueHD Atmos audio, either with Kodi or any other player.

Is there something like this on the budget? I know latest Shield TV seem to do the trick, but at 150€ wouldn't it make sense to go with game console, like xBox One? Or even build a PC (do they support Vison yet?)...

Any advice and thoughts are appreciated!

Dolby Vision is your sticking point.*

Many boxes will do DV on streaming apps but not on local files.

The problem isn't the device as such but how the file is created. The only way to get DV on local files is by ripping them to an mp4 (I don't know the method) as opposed to an MKV but that presents issues with audio formats and the best you can do then is DD+ 5.1

So you have to make a choice

DD+5.1 and DV

Or

Atmos/DTS:X/DTS-HD MA/TrueHD and regular HDR.

*BD-iso can be problematic as well regarding playback. If you don't care about menus, extras etc IMO you'd be better ripping those images to a remuxed mkv.

Hello!
Since my audio system supports TrueHD and/or DTS MA only with full HDMI connection, I need a dedicated media-player to add to my set-up (play remixes directly on TV with Kodi until now).

I don't need any "smart" features or app platform support, such as Netflix, etc. as my TV handles that just fine. I just want to be able to plug my HDD with BD Remux/ISO-image and get Dolby Vision picture and TrueHD Atmos audio, either with Kodi or any other player.

Is there something like this on the budget? I know latest Shield TV seem to do the trick, but at 150€ wouldn't it make sense to go with game console, like xBox One? Or even build a PC (do they support Vison yet?)...

Any advice and thoughts are appreciated!
As Sloppy Bob said Dolby Vison is a problem I'd forget about it, I use a vero 4k with files ripped to MKV plays 4K HDR with Atmos/DTS:X/DTS-HD MA/TrueHD.

Dolby Vision is your sticking point.*

Many boxes will do DV on streaming apps but not on local files.

The problem isn't the device as such but how the file is created. The only way to get DV on local files is by ripping them to an mp4 (I don't know the method) as opposed to an MKV but that presents issues with audio formats and the best you can do then is DD+ 5.1

So you have to make a choice

DD+5.1 and DV

Or

Atmos/DTS:X/DTS-HD MA/TrueHD and regular HDR.

*BD-iso can be problematic as well regarding playback. If you don't care about menus, extras etc IMO you'd be better ripping those images to a remuxed mkv.

Thanks for your response. I would settle for DD+ (especially since I can get it just with KODI on my TV and ARC), but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be common on BD discs/Remuxes at all (it's either TrueHD or DD). So, being unable to play TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, I'm stuck with core DTS or DD.

I can't believe there's no way to play ripped movies with D.Vision and good sound! I understand container limitations but it's borderline unbelievable there's no player out there that can handle BD-ISO images...

This whole situation gets pretty infuriating actually; you can get Vision & Atmos from Netflix with cut to shit bitrate, but cannot do the same for Blue Ray without putting physical disk in BD player, ugh.

As Sloppy Bob said Dolby Vison is a problem I'd forget about it, I use a vero 4k with files ripped to MKV plays 4K HDR with Atmos/DTS:X/DTS-HD MA/TrueHD.
yeah, without Vision it would be pretty easy. Any Android TV box with IEC 61937 support can passthrough HD audio but Vero is definitely one of the nicer ones. However, I really want to try and find if there's anything that can get me both.

Maybe those expensive BD players can play ISO files from network of usb drive?

They don't want you to rip discs as that PIRACY..... even though it's only for your own use.

Although the discs don't have DD+ I'm sure there's a method that's used in the ripping process to get DV that converts the Atmos/DTS:X soundtrack. I just don't know what it is as to be honest I'm quite happy with HDR and would rather have the better sound for my Atmos system.

While DV is great, it's incremental over regular HDR and nowhere near the difference of HDR vs SDR.

Maybe those expensive BD players can play ISO files from network of usb drive?

I'm not saying there's one that can't but some of them can't even play the HD audio when using a USB port. There's also no getting around the filetype to rip to DV has to be mp4 which again has the limitation of DD+ 5.1

They don't want you to rip discs as that PIRACY..... even though it's only for your own use.

Although the discs don't have DD+ I'm sure there's a method that's used in the ripping process to get DV that converts the Atmos/DTS:X soundtrack. I just don't know what it is as to be honest I'm quite happy with HDR and would rather have the better sound for my Atmos system.

While DV is great, it's incremental over regular HDR and nowhere near the difference of HDR vs SDR.

I'm not saying there's one that can't but some of them can't even play the HD audio when using a USB port. There's also no getting around the filetype to rip to DV has to be mp4 which again has the limitation of DD+ 5.1

Yes, true.
After some research I found out that m9702 media player can play BDMW/ISO with Dolby Vision and TrueHD... but it's over 500€. I'll keep searching and hopefully there's something similar for half the price...

Yes, true.
After some research I found out that m9702 media player can play BDMW/ISO with Dolby Vision and TrueHD... but it's over 500€. I'll keep searching and hopefully there's something similar for half the price...
There's a full thread on this forum on that device it's a cloned oppo player without the disc drive.

Yeah, have already tried asking there if someone knows a cheaper alternative
There's a full thread on this forum on that device it's a cloned oppo player without the disc drive.

From what very little I know, it is the software that is the problem.

So unless you already have a Mac or PC laying around.

From what very little I know, it is the software that is the problem.

So unless you already have a Mac or PC laying around.

I mean, this can be an option, but I don't think PCs can output DV to tv. The player you linked, doesn't mention support of HDR anywhere, let alone DV.

I mean, this can be an option, but I don't think PCs can output DV to tv. The player you linked, doesn't mention support of HDR anywhere, let alone DV.
First link big letters " Best 4K Blu-ray Player with Dolby Vision "

So, just to finish this thread: I haven't managed to find a solution to play DV and TrueHD apart from Opportunity 203 and its Chinese clone M9702 player, both of which are out of my budget for now.
So, like many, I've decided to sacrifice Dolby Vision and picked up the cheapest Android TV box that supports TrueHD audio passthrough which for me was original 2016 Mi Box for 30€.

I still hope soon there will be a way to enjoy both while not spending a fortune. Maybe Matroska team will manage to allow second layer in their container, maybe some Chinese hackers will make a suitable device for BD-ISO playback. Fingers crossed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom