Recommendation for Media Player with Decent Front-End

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by iansimpson888, Feb 14, 2014.

1. iansimpson888

iansimpson888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Been a good few years since looking at media players. Looking to move the current WDLive (not sure what gen, but WDLXTV firmware loaded) into another room and replace with a new media player.
    I got fed up with generating movie sheets manually (well, semi-automatically) on windows so would like something that's done by the new box; and something that has a fast, slick, smooth front-end as well.
    No budget as such, maybe £200 but can go higher to get the right product if it ticks the boxes. Obviously the cheaper the better!

Wants/Requirements:
    1. Wired Network
    2. Play a mixture of Video (.mkv's, .mov's, etc) stored on Synology NAS (NFS)
    3. HDMI Out
    4. Optical/Digital out to Amp
    5. Fast/smooth UI
    6. Movie Metadata scraping (description, covers, fanart, subs)
    7. Silent

Nice to haves:
    1. Online services (netflix, iPlayer, youtube, etc)
    2. Size, no bigger than a Sky box!
    3. Movie Trailer included with movie description

Not really req:
    1. Internal HDD storage
    2. WiFi

Thanks for any enlightenment that comes my way!!!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    For a media player that creates a video jukebox onboard you don't have too many options. I'm not sure if the Mede8er X3D media players have a fully automated jukebox, might be worth checking out the thread for them. Other than that it is the PCH A-400/410 (and some of their older models if full 3D is not required) or an XBMC media player such as TLBB
    Mede8er MED600X3D / 1000X3D High Definition 3D Multimedia Player - Part 2 | AVForums
    Little Black Box Runs XBMC | AVForums
    Popcornhour A400 | AVForums

Mark.

3. ChefMan

ChefMan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have run Acer Revo's 3700's as XBMC machines for years.
    Dont be tempted by a 3610 as they only have the 1st gen Ion chipset whereas the 3700 has the Ion2 which can handle HD content perfectly.
    I have a 5Tb server and the IMDB scraper adds the correct info provided the files are named correctly.
    I also have a couple of Pi's running XBMC in the bedrooms and an OUYA as well.(Plus my Tab2 and S4)