Recommendation for Making Home Movies off a Camcorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GadgetObsessed, Jul 19, 2004.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +624
    Hi

I'm looking for a DVD recorder to make home movies and archive from Sky+
    I think that my requirements are as follows:

(1) DV-in
    (2) RGB-in (for recording from Sky+)
    (3) Component-out.
    (4) Play JPEGs on CD

Slight preference for Panny as I have a Panny TV.

I am considering the Panny E65 which is £300. (£80 more than the E55 for just DV-in!)

Is there anything else up to this price that i should be considering? (e.g. Pioneers 320, etc) I am also aware that for about £80 more I could get a HDD equiped Tosh RX32.

2. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have a pannie tv but plumped for the XS32.

Superb bit of kit. Just get that.

3. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +624
    One option I am considering is the JVC M10. Seems to have everything I want and it is only £235. Does anyone have any experience of this model?

The Tosh RX32 does look good but I'm not sure that I can justify the extra £160. I use Sky+ so the HDD is not of that much interest to me. (May help a bit in editing from DV - but I never plan to use it to record TV.)

4. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I was in sort of the same boat.

I do a lot of movie taping and always avoided stuff on ITV/Five/4 etc because of adverts. Now I can get rid of them.

Also I can move over stuff taking up the Sky+ drive such as 24/Alias which I watch in one block.

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Having both an hs2 and a dvd recorder in the computer I can firmly say that home movies are much easier to do and look more professional on the computer. I have recently done a dvd of a wedding and it turned out very well after easy editing using the new roxio creator suite. The camcorder dvd's made in the hs2 are just not as good and the menus are very limited, with no templates available for different subjects, and no transitions between scenes possible. I was also able to create a dvd slideshow on the same dvd of all the photo's taken at the wedding, with either accessible from the menu, this can only easily be done on a computer.

Conversely archiving films etc is much easier on the hs2, particularly removing the ads etc.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Note that it doesn't have RGB input.

I am inclined to agree with Kenfowler that a PC is a good option here. Obviously it depends upon your PC specs although Firewire cards and DVD burners are dirt cheap these days.

If you do consider a DVD set-top recorder then the Toshiba RX32 is an ideal choice as it is effectively a standalone authoring machine. And ideal for what you want. A good second choice would be the Panasonic E95 which is more user friendly and has a larger HDD although it doesn't quite match the Toshiba for features and is more expensive.

If you are looking at standalones then the Panasonic E65 is a good choice.