Recommendation for Heos and Qobuz users (with my Marantz PM7000N and BubbleUPnP)

gava

TLDR: Fantastic Android app => BubbleUPnP

Allows Qobuz streaming direct to devices without using the manufacturer's streaming software platform.

============================

Just thought I'd share something which has made me a very happy boy. No doubt many people know this already, but for those that might not.

I doubt anyone thinks Heos is fantastic or state-of-the-art as a streaming software platform. It's mostly functional and has perhaps a few features other platforms might not - support for Amazon HD streaming for example. The Amazon API makes the feature set very restricted, but at least you can do it.

So I have a Tidal subscription and a Qobuz subscription and a Spotify subscription (for the rest of the family). Heos has decent support for Tidal, and with Soundiiz I can copy playlists around.

I like Qobuz because:
  • High res streaming (with options available to buy).
  • New releases and discovery is much better than Tidal because I can set permanent filters to never show me genres that I don't want to see. Tidal new releases is just a torrent of stuff I hate.
I like Spotifiy because:
  • Good for podcasts, playlists, music discovery, track radio, artist radio, etc.
  • Not very expensive for family sub.
I tolerate Tidal because:
  • Hifi quality
  • Best hifi option supported by Heos.
  • Pretty good mobile app - better than the Qobuz one, which sometimes gets itself in a twist and requires a phone restart.

However - Heos has no Qobuz support. So until now if I wanted to take advantage of the fact that the Marantz supports high-res music up to 24bit/192Khz you had to buy the music and rip it to a device and then stream it over the network. In general I prefer to simply pay my monthly subs and have access to a big online library, as there are very few situations where I can imagine not being internet connected for my music playback.

After falling down various rabbit holes looking for good room correction software, I discovered that people who are using some high-end gear (in terms of measurements not necessarily purchase cost) are often also less than 100% happy with the streaming platform that it comes with and a recommendation for Android BubbleUPnP.

Free (ad-supported) or a very reasonable £3.99 for ad-free, it gives me really good access to my Qobuz sub, allows high-res streaming (though you do have to figure out where to set it - the default is 16/44). The interface is way better than Heos.

It's also better for Tidal than Heos, but I think really this is going to mean that I will probably cancel my Tidal subscription as the native playback on my phone is actually better than the Qobuz app too.

The BubbleUPnP app has an interface I really like a lot, perhaps not quite as good as the native Tidal/Qobuz apps for general use, but a huge improvement over Heos.

I recommend you give it a try.

P.S. I have no affiliation with BubbleUPnP.

Cebolla

Yes it's odd that Denon/Marantz don't make it public that their HEOS devices contain a built-in UPnP/DLNA renderer, meaning that they can also be used with any standard UPnP/DLNA controller app - just like their older non-HEOS models, which were officially advertised as being UPnP/DLNA streamers.

BTW, the other well known Qobuz & TIDAL supporting UPnP/DLNA controller app is the ad-free £5.99 mconnect Player (available on iOS as well as Android; also comes in a free ad-supported Lite version plus a £5.99 ad-free landscape oriented & so ideal for tablets/iPads HD version).

The BubbleUPnP app has an interface I really like a lot, perhaps not quite as good as the native Tidal/Qobuz apps for general use, but a huge improvement over Heos.
The BubbleUPnP app supports the Android share mechanism, which should actually allow you to use the official TIDAL & Qobuz apps to search for the music you want to play on the HEOS by sharing the tracks on the official app to the BubbleUPnP app.
Admittedly the procedure is a bit awkward given that you're not using the official app's own play function, you have to select the share menu option on the official app, the official app to/from BubbleUPnP app swapping, etc, but you might feel it's worth the extra effort in order to use the official app's interface.

Last edited:

gava

Yes it's odd that Denon/Marantz don't make it public that their HEOS devices contain a built-in UPnP/DLNA renderer, meaning that they can also be used with any standard UPnP/DLNA controller app - just like their older non-HEOS models, which were officially advertised as being UPnP/DLNA streamers.

BTW, the other well known Qobuz & TIDAL supporting UPnP/DLNA controller app is the ad-free £5.99 mconnect Player (available on iOS as well as Android; also comes in a free ad-supported Lite version plus a £5.99 ad-free landscape oriented & so ideal for tablets/iPads HD version).

The BubbleUPnP app supports the Android share mechanism, which should actually allow you to use the official TIDAL & Qobuz apps to search for the music you want to play on the HEOS by sharing the tracks on the official app to the BubbleUPnP app.
Admittedly the procedure is a bit awkward given that you're not using the official app's own play function, you have to select the share menu option on the official app, the official app to/from BubbleUPnP app swapping, etc, but you might feel it's worth the extra effort in order to use the official app's interface.

Ooh, that's clever. Thanks for the tip.

Find in Qobuz, menu->share into Bubble app.

Had to change something in the settings to get the playback rate correct, but now it all seems good.

I have had the Marantz for a year now, and this is the first time I have been able to actually play much high res music apart from a few samples!!! I can play it on my headphones via my phone or desktop DAC but my hifi system was restricted to 16/44 for cloud streaming.

It's not that much of a big deal as under normal circumstances 16/44 is really sufficient and honestly I'm quite skeptical about reliably being able to tell the difference under most circumstances. Certainly during the daytime there is enough ambient noise in my environment that such subtle differences are very hard to detect. I would not put any money on being able to reliably distinguish in a blind test. Which is why I haven't been that bothered about lack of MQA support either. Having access to the huge libraries of these services means that I've been reasonably happy to accept 16/44, but now I don't have to - I can stream Qobuz.

I am aware that there is a cognitive break between being 1. skeptical that I can hear the difference and 2. delighted nevertheless to be streaming in highest quality.

I am more convinced by high res than MQA, so I am now really thinking I can cancel my Tidal sub, I will keep Spotify for the kids and use Qobuz on phone, PC and now in the lounge too!

It's not a huge deal, but a saving of £20 a month is not unwelcome, it all adds up in the long run. :)

johnfryett

Agree with @Cebolla - mconnect is worth a look. Their Qobuz interface is pretty good, IMO - you can add to favourites or playlists from it so you might find you rarely have to go to the official app.

gava

Thanks for the recommendation, I figured £6 was not too much to give it a try, and so far it seems nice.

I am now just using Qobuz and I like the mconnect interface.

Less work on the settings - seems to play max resolution by default. 👍

Francois M79

Novice Member
Hello and many thanx for your posts. I’m using a Denon/HEOS device (linked with an iPad) and actually feel the same as Gava concerning Tidal and Qobuz. I’m currently using Tidal by default, but would like to subscribe to Qobuz which is more reflecting my taste. (mainly classical and jazz)

I’ve tried the mconnect solution and have three questions then : why does the music stop if I close the mconnect app on my iPad ? Does this mean that my Denon device is not directly connected to the Qobuz server ? In this case, what is the difference with using apple AirPlay ?

Many thanx for your answer. I feel very interested and confused in all this.🙂

Best regards

françois

gava

Hello and many thanx for your posts. I’m using a Denon/HEOS device (linked with an iPad) and actually feel the same as Gava concerning Tidal and Qobuz. I’m currently using Tidal by default, but would like to subscribe to Qobuz which is more reflecting my taste. (mainly classical and jazz)

I’ve tried the mconnect solution and have three questions then : why does the music stop if I close the mconnect app on my iPad ? Does this mean that my Denon device is not directly connected to the Qobuz server ? In this case, what is the difference with using apple AirPlay ?

Many thanx for your answer. I feel very interested and confused in all this.🙂

Best regards

françois

I think you have to have the software running, as it pushes the songs one by one from the playlist. If I close the app it will continue playing until the end of the song on Bubble, perhaps mconnect will kill it mid song.

PomMarantz

Standard Member
...hi...I am new to attempting streaming Hi-Rez music...not that familiar with apps and such...I need REAL basic help. BASIC. LOL!
I have the following:
Marantz SR6015 (connected to my network via Ethernet)
I have an iPad and an iPhone.

...based on what I am reading above I would like to do the following:
Stream Qobuz using Hi-Rez with mConnect to my Marantz system.

I need REAL BASIC instructions...assume that I know nothing..😯...as if you were explaining to a 5-year old. 👶🏻
(i.e. am I getting the apps thru my Marrantz or my iPad?, etc. I am old and completely inexperienced with doing this). I have downloaded the HEOS App onto my iPad, but have not used it yet. I have not subscribed to Qobuz yet, either. (I think they have a 30-day trial, which is nice as I can try it out to see if it works well on my system.).
Thanks for any help! 🙂

Last edited:

gava

1. Sign up to Qobuz. I think they have a free trial. Otherwise just get a pay- monthly plan, as you can cancel anytime. Make sure you store your login name/email and password.
2. Install mconnect from the Apple store.
3. Open mconnect, choose the "Play To" icon bottom right. Select your Marantz receiver.
4. Select the "Player" icon. Select the settings cog icon top left. Turn on Qobuz.
5. Select the "Browser" icon, choose Qobuz in the Internet music section. Enter your Qobuz login details when asked.
6. Browse Qobuz and play some music. :)

PomMarantz

Standard Member
WOW gava! That was FAST! 😁 THANKS!
So I install mConnect onto my iPad?...and Qobuz App resides on my iPad?
...and I use my iPad to do everything via mConnect? I am just trying to understand the overview. Also...do I have to do anything to turn on Hi-Rez? Or is that the default?

Last edited:

gava

Disclaimer - I don't use Apple so I'm assuming some of this from the way the Android versions work.

Yes, install Qobuz & mconnect on your iPad.

You do all your controlling on the iPad.

I think it depends on whether you like the Qobuz or Tidal libraries and search interfaces more, and the companies if that is an ethical consideration for you.

Heos + Tidal works well. It's the best integration for the Heos platform in my view, but it doesn't support MQA which is Tidal's unique selling point.

If you are happy with 16/44 - standard CD quality (which is really sufficient for most purposes) then you can just use Airplay from your phone or iPad. Then you can use any app you like on your devices.

But the ONLY option for High Rez on the Marantz as far as I can tell is to use Qobuz and UPnP via mconnect.

The good thing is that you can try these all out for free or very low cost. Worst case you end up paying for a couple of apps and a month of Tidal and Qobuz.

I used Heos + Tidal for a year and that was perfectly fine.

Also at some point fairly soon Spotify is bringing 16/44 to their service and I imagine that will work fine using Spotify Connect.

But yes, for me now I only use Qobuz and mconnect I have cancelled my Tidal subscription.

PomMarantz

Standard Member
This is ALL SO HELPFUL! THANK YOU!

"But the ONLY option for High Rez on the Marantz as far as I can tell is to use Qobuz and UPnP via mconnect."
So... just to be clear...if I am using mConnect with Quboz then use the BubbleUPnP app thru mConnect ( ALL THREE APPS), if I want to go H-Rez above 16/44? Do I need to pay a higher fee to Quboz to go up a tier in service?..

gava

No

Choose one of: mconnect (IOS/Android) OR BubbleUPnP. (Only Android)

AND Qobuz.

I think all the Qobuz subs are high res, it is more expensive than the lower resolution subs for Tidal or Spotify, but about the same as Tidal high res.

PomMarantz

Standard Member
No

Choose one of: mconnect (IOS/Android) OR BubbleUPnP. (Only Android)

AND Qobuz.

I think all the Qobuz subs are high res, it is more expensive than the lower resolution subs for Tidal or Spotify, but about the same as Tidal high res.
Thanks for clarifying that! I find all of this music/movie stuff to be waaaaaay more complicated than it used to be...I have been putting a new system together, have been "trying" to set up my room sound using Audyssey MultiEQ XT32....and in the end you have to tweak Audyssey so much to get it working for your set-up it seems so overly complicated. In the end its all fun, though.

PomMarantz

Standard Member
I have one more question. I went to the IOS AppStore and there are THREE options (Apps), available for mConnect:
1. mconnect Player HD (which is the one I think I need)
2. mconnect Control HD (?)
3. mconnect Player lite (which is a watered-down free version that I can just skip, right?)

gava

Yes that's right, the player.

PomMarantz

Standard Member
OMG! OMG! OMG! I am having a MIND-BLOWING music experience in my living!!!!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANKYOU!
FF626A9C-458F-4AB4-B1A1-79564DB66CA2.jpeg

artenbe

Novice Member
Hi,

Sorry for bumping an older thread, but I have a Marantz pm7000n and I installed the connect player app but the Marantz does not show uw in the list of upnp devices? I checked my router and upnp mode is enabled so I have no idea why the Marantz is not showing up? Anybody have an idea what's going wrong?

gava

Try BubbleUPnP.

Mconnect doesn't always find mine.

gava

Why not use Airplay then?

I think that it can depend on your router, if it's dual band and the phone and amp are connecting on different bands they won't always see each other.

Last edited:

artenbe

Novice Member
Because airplay limits to 16/44.1 if I understand correctly and I want try Qobuz high res and the only way seems to be via upnp then?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky bringing Apple TV+ to Sky Glass and Sky Q customers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Linn unveils latest Klimax LP12 flagship turntable
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Tizen plans include cloud gaming for smart TVs