Recommendation for budget 32" TV please

jik22

Standard Member
Need a 32" LCD for the mother-in-law's place, and as I'm not used to buying at the budget end of the market, thought I'd better ask for help! :)

Also, what price should I be looking to have to pay to get some level of quality if all the really cheap sets are going to disappoint?

Ideally, integrated DVB would be nice, but not essential, and it's only going to have analogue DVD and the like attached for the forseeable future, so HD ready not essential either, but terrestrial picture quality is.

Thanks in advance.

O

Oenone

You haven't said what the budget is?

Mid-Range 32" Tv's like the Samsung R7 or the Toshiba WLT66 are about £800 these days. With HD TV and Freeview tuners. The same TV's are about £700 without the tuner.

Cheaper still is the Hyundai A321 at £600. HD Ready but no Freeview. Anything less is likely to be a non-branded far eastern import which won’t be HD Ready and certainly won’t have Freeview.

If it was me I’d take the £600 Hyundai A321 as the starting point. If you read some the threads here people have been very pleased with the picture quality of the Hyundai.

Another £100 will get you a Samsung R7 panel which has excellent picture quality, almost as good as some of the Sony Bravia’s which are at the top end of the market. Infact Sony and Samsung use the same S-PVA panels in their latest LCD’s.

A further £100 still, gets you the integrated Freeview tuner, which for now you could possibly do without. You will still need to get one sooner rather than later as the analogue switch off is likely to be within the lifetime of the TV. You will also have the added clutter and complexity of a separate tuner box, however you’ll probably want to get a Freeview recorder anyway so this may not matter in the long term.

If it helps I’m probably going to go for the Samsung myself, I can’t really justify the extra £300 for the Sony and the parents own the earlier model so I can vouch for it’s quality. I’ll also take the Freeview option even though I can’t receive Freeview at the moment. This will give me a few more options in the future like being able to record 2 channels on a set top box and still watch one channel on the TV’s tuner, also it will add a bit more value to the TV should I decide to sell it on later. I’ll put the £300 towards a nice surround sound kit instead.

Ultimately with AV gear you pays your money and take your choice but you won’t go far wrong with the above suggestions.

Nielo TM

Novice Member
Oenone said:
Another £100 will get you a Samsung R7 panel which has excellent picture quality, almost as good as some of the Sony Bravia’s which are at the top end of the market. Infact Sony and Samsung use the same S-PVA panels in their latest LCD’s.
Sony and Samsung joined forces to produce one of the largest LCD manufacturing plant in the world called S-LCD and it’s located in South Korea. Both companies poured millions if not billions into developing advanced LCD panels and it totally worth it. They produced an LCD that simple the best for motion video called S-PVA. S-PVA has wider color range and viewing angles, along with increased contrast, deeper blacks and low response time (8ms GTG).

Even though they both use S-PVA, Sony BRAVIAs are superior to Samsung in every way. The Sony HDTVs use a very advanced image processor called BRAVIA. The BRAVIA engine enhances contrast, color, black levels and its scaling and de-interlacing capabilities are also very impressive.

What’s more is that the BRAVIA “V” series uses the next generation CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) for backlighting, this increases color gamut to display more vibrant, natural looking images.

Nielo TM

Novice Member
jik22 said:
Need a 32" LCD for the mother-in-law's place, and as I'm not used to buying at the budget end of the market, thought I'd better ask for help! :)

Also, what price should I be looking to have to pay to get some level of quality if all the really cheap sets are going to disappoint?

Ideally, integrated DVB would be nice, but not essential, and it's only going to have analogue DVD and the like attached for the forseeable future, so HD ready not essential either, but terrestrial picture quality is.

Thanks in advance.
I would recommend 32" Toshiba and BRAVIA over Samsung due to superior picture quality. The new JVC DX aren’t bad but they have some issue on SD sources (more on that here).

jik22

Standard Member
Oenone said:
You haven't said what the budget is?
Didn't want to put people off recommending something by stating a max price. I think she'll be stuck at your £600 suggestion, but if there was something loads better for not much more, I'd have probably helped her out. Might even end up buying this one for her, if the wife gets her way! :(

Think we'll suggest the straight TV option for now, as she can have our old Pace Twin freeview recorder when we emigrate next year, and a cheap digibox until then which she can migrate to the bedroom TV later!

Thx for the info.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom