Recommendation for bedroom setup...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SteveMc, Jan 31, 2009.

1. SteveMc

SteveMc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a projector for the bedroom, got it all setup and it looks fantastic.

Have done nothing about sound though. It's only a small room, so I am looking for something that I can connect an Xbox 360 and an HTPC too. I don't want 5.1 as we have that in the living room, and space in the bedroom is at a premium - 2.0 or 2.1 will do.

Anyone any suggestions? I am looking at the Logitech Z Cinema at the moment, but can't figure out whether I will be able to connect both things to it?

Hope someone has a pearl of wisdom or two :thumbsup:

2. teishu

teishu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Maybe go for a low end seperates system? whats your budget? amp and speakers from about £150 upwards...

3. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    If you're looking at the Logitech Z Cinema then I guess you budget is around £120?

I don't think the Logitech Z Cinema will be suitable, as far as I can see it only has a USB connection, so OK for PC but for Xbox 360.

You could probably pick up a basic amp and stere speakers for around £140, but if you can stretch further have a look at the Onkyo HTX22D (ONKYO HTX22HD at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.).

What audio outs does your PC support?

Chris

4. SteveMc

SteveMc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't really want to spend much more than £200, but space is more of an issue, which is why I have steered away from an amp really...

I believe the Z Cinema has a USB connection for the PC and an AUX input (mini jack) on the right speaker - I'm unsure if I can connect the 360 to that though? It's (going to be) connected via component to the projector, so does anyone know my sound options in that instance?

5. SteveMc

SteveMc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, reading about that Onkyo HTX22HD, it sounds perfect - great recommendation!

I'll be using an old 360 though (once I repair it!) and it's not HDMI? Can I connect that to this? I can only see HDMI connections? Or would I have to connect direct to the projector and run an optical cable to the Onkyo?

Looks good though! Thanks.

6. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    The 360 has optical out (it's on the shoulder of the connector that goes into the 360), and the Onkyo has 2 optical inputs, or you can just use the stereo phono's. There a link on the Richer Sounds page to the manual showing all the connections.

Chris

7. SteveMc

SteveMc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I realise that, was just hoping I wouldn't need a long cable (hoping to have the 360 on the other side of the room to the projector really, but that's not a deal breaker). If my three lights repair on the busted 360 doesn't work I'll just get an HDMI one...

So, I think I'm settled on the Onkyo you recommended! Will connect the PC using phono for now, then upgrade to optical at a later date.

Now I just need to check whether Richer Sounds has stock. If they do, I'll call round tomorrow night. Thanks again for the help!