Recommendation for an alarm for elderly father

Mo Better Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As per the title, anyone out there using a service at the moment or any recommendations?

Our main worry is a fall and the inability to then move etc, does that require 24 hour monitoring or do we need just an alert to us so we can call the neighbors to check etc?

:lease:

Thank you already, blimey that was quick.

As an addendum nothing smart phone related is an option as we have only just managed to get him to use a large button call only mobile.

My father is 85 and a few months ago he fell and couldn't get back up, so we decided to buy him an alarm system.
This is the one we got him...

71D3rvOy--L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It comes with 2 wrist bracelets and necklace to activate the alar, and the base unit also has a button too.
Its very easy to set up, you program 3 phone numbers into it, so I have my sister (she is his carer), mine and my brothers. He wears a bracelet all the time, but also has one in his hallway.

It costs £78 and that is all there is to pay.
You do need a landline though.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
My wifes father is very ill with a severe form of Parkinsons and he has a wardened controlled one which he pays for monthly. Sounds great, however the 3 times he has pressed it they have rang my wife (who rang me on one occasion) stating...
"your father has pressed his emergency button. We can attend but we are on another job and it may not be for a while".
They know for a fact that we are going to go round, which makes you think, are they 'really' on another job or sat in their house 'on call' but ring us so they don't have to go out themselves?

My father is 85 and a few months ago he fell and couldn't get back up, so we decided to buy him an alarm system.
Has your father had an eye test since falling? If his vision is poor, he could be misjudging distances/objects which could contribute to him falling.

My wife is a local healthcare professional, she highly recommends this:

Thank you to all whom have replied, I don't know why it did not occur to me before but because of one or two of the replies I checked the local council website and they offer (through a private company) a full stay at home care service.
I shall be contacting them today to discuss options.

:thumbsup:

Has your father had an eye test since falling? If his vision is poor, he could be misjudging distances/objects which could contribute to him falling.
Yeah, his eyes aren't too bad.
About 6 years ago he had laser treatment to one of his eyes and I think the other a year or so later.
Sadly, its his knees that are shot and he walks with a zimmer frame.

Great thread as this is something I need to look into living on my own and not having family ETC.

Just been through this with my 90 yo Dad who had 2 falls, with a subsequent pass maker being fitted.

The local authority recommended one of the personal alarms (unsure of the make) that connects you to someone, or if he doesn't or unable to respond they send an ambulance.

The also arranged the fitting of one of theses

The local authority were very helpful

Posted 3rd Nov...
We've not long registered with Careline, through the council, for the father in law. It used to be free but is £2 a week but it does give good peace of mind.

Overview | Careline emergency alarm | Birmingham City Council

Anyone who is thinking of getting a personal alarm for a relative I'd advise to do it now. My FIL had a fall in the house and he pressed the button. Careline rang for an ambulance and then rang me. I shot down there and got there just before the ambulance. Good job i did because they'd of broke in and had an interesting encounter with his dog. He is ok.

This raised another issue. We need to have a key safe put on the outside wall so paramedics can get in and a note with Careline about the dog.

Posted 3rd Nov...

Anyone who is thinking of getting a personal alarm for a relative I'd advise to do it now. My FIL had a fall in the house and he pressed the button. Careline rang for an ambulance and then rang me. I shot down there and got there just before the ambulance. Good job i did because they'd of broke in and had an interesting encounter with his dog. He is ok.

This raised another issue. We need to have a key safe put on the outside wall so paramedics can get in and a note with Careline about the dog.
Is there no base station that the carline staff can communicate through?

Is there no base station that the carline staff can communicate through?
Yes, he pressed the button and a voice came over the speaker asking what was wrong and after he told them they made the calls.

Sorry to hear this, know how it feels

See my post

I’m1.5 hours away from my Dad so take some comfort with what the Local Authority has done

Yes, he pressed the button and a voice came over the speaker asking what was wrong and after he told them they made the calls.
Glad he was wearing it and pressed it. I see so many people not wearing their pendents.

Mum had care line, she pressed the button just before she had a major heart attack, the call centre couldn’t get a response from her so called me , I raced down there but sadly she had passed away. This was in July , but I’m glad she pressed the button and I found her sooner rather then the next day .

Mrs TG and I both wear push button pendants connected to "Taking Care" which is Age UK approved.

Just £17.70 per month, which covers both of us 24/7 anywhere in the house or garden.

They operate through our landline phone line, but you can get the 4G mobile version which operates UK wide (assuming a signal).

Others have a fall detector, which can operate automatically.

Well worth the peace of mind for my daughter as well as ourselves if one of us goes out.

The care line alarm sounds the best option to me. Some of these alarms at £17 a month, are a bit too much for someone on a tight budget.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom