1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation for a UK projector for prog. please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DVRRR, Jan 13, 2003.

1. DVRRR

DVRRR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would anyone recommend a projector? I'm going to do it on the cheap if possible. What are the cheap 16:9 LCD projectors that accept component PAL and NTSC DVD progressive, from the new DVD players.
    The Panasonic one at around £1,500 seems not to accept 625p (576p?), only 525p (which is NTSC only). The projector only says 625i on their web site.

2. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sanyo PLV-Z1 which definitely accepts both NTSC and PAL progressive. One should set you back ~£1300.

HTH,

_

3. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Cogpaul has some NEC CRT units, for around £900, the tubes are spotless, and will give you a true cinematic experience.

4. DVRRR

DVRRR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys
    Based on this I just bought a Sanyo for £1,318 or so. It indeed looks an excellent choice for the cash, thanks, I'm bery grateful to have saved £1,000 or more.
    The only thing it misses is a scaler, one can't be too greedy can one!!
    I have a player that puts out NTSC prog. scan through component so that's OK for region one and zero discs. However I want PAL progressive. Would you buy a scaler to do the PAL progressive? There is one on avforums.com for a couple of hundred pounds, and a Brite thingy for around £500. Any views? Is PAL prog. a big improvement over 625i on a 7ft horizontal image at 16:9?

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to be a more sensible option if you just buy a DVD player that is PAL Progressive capable. Such as Primare's V25 or Philip's DV963SA, or even (if you want to reduce yourself to this level), Lescon's DVD1000.

6. DVRRR

DVRRR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dimmy
    You would certainly be right if it was for DVD alone. problem is that I want to improve the line strucure and get all the Prog. S. benefits for SKY Digibox and Playstation.

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah that's a nice thought - the only problem is I don't think that the Sanyo you mentioned has an adequate de-interlacer to do all of that. Plz let me know if it does because I'm buying a projector nxt saturday from Sevenoaks and it's a choice between the one you just bought, an Optoma H50 and that Panasonic PTA100E (but that panasonic's had a bit of bad press lately!). Thanks.

8. DVRRR

DVRRR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it does not (the Panasonic doesn't either though, dunno the other projector you mention). However one can buy and RGB to component converter and then a video scaler to do the job (line doubler). All for around £500 maximum, for some items much less.
    I did not buy the Panasonic specifically because it does not support 625p (576p) PAL progressive. Within a year most DVD players I believe will output this through component video, so be sure you don't care about this before buying one that does not show it, you might really regret it.
    I got my Sanyo yesterday, and even with an interlaced signal on PAL gives a fantastic result at 10ft diagonal screen sitting 20ft back.

9. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. jamesdoc

jamesdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone using this scaler? I have been looking at the AVT-3200, but I am concerned its pal processing may not be very good.

Thanks.