Recommendation for (a Somewhat Affordable) AT95E Upgrade...

IntelliVolume

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'd like to upgrade the Audio-Technica AT95E stylus/cartridge that's on my AT-LP120 turntable to combat some nasty inner groove distortion and other issues I've experienced with this "fat elliptical" product (this cartridge comes with this turntable and I'm on the first replacement stylus after wearing out the original). I know that by going with a microline shape stylus, it would solve the IGD problem or reduce it greatly, but the problem is I'm not really prepared to spend $200 (U.S.) on what would be the logical upgrade path, Audio-Technica's own VM95, which is the company's newer microline product in the 95 series. I was planning on getting the VM95 with the headshell package, so the cart is already assembled on the shell and aligned, and this combo brings the bottom line to 200 U.S. bucks...

Is there ANY cartridge option between the level of my AT95E and, say, the $200 VM95 that would at least yield better results than the 95E? It doesn't have to be an Audio-Technica, nor does it have to be an exotic-esque microline shape; just wondering if there are any options out there...

Sounds more like you need to check your alignment if you're wearing out stylii. If that's ok then just buy the stylus. Why pay for the cartridge & headshell too?

Not sure how the VMH95 alignment works, can they set the alignment for all turntables which have different length arms or is it an average best guess, but as you have an AT turntable I assume it would be pretty close.

Personally I would either get the VMH95e and then you can upgrade to the ML stylus later or just jump straight in for the VMH95ML. I have this on a Linn axis and it was excellent and I think this is the best bang for buck cartridge out there at the moment, remember that the ML stylus theoretically has three times the life of a standard elliptical so bear that in mind if you listen to your LPs a lot (1000+hrs vs 300+hrs therefore per hour it is aboput the same cost as one VM95e plus two additional stylus) plus it is very detailed, reduced clicks and pops and sorts out your IGD issue.

Last edited:
Sounds more like you need to check your alignment if you're wearing out stylii. If that's ok then just buy the stylus. Why pay for the cartridge & headshell too?
I'm wearing out my styli because that's what styli do after time -- wear out. It's from sheer amount of use, not from misalignment, as we run these things into the ground.

As for paying for the headshell and cart too, I prefer to have a more plug-and-play method rather than having to set up the cart on my current stock headshell and go through alignment and all that; there are companies, even via Amazon, that sell the whole cart-mounted-on-headshell package so all I need to do when getting it is screw it on to my tonearm and dial in the tracking force.

Not sure how the VMH95 alignment works, can they set the alignment for all turntables which have different length arms or is it an average best guess, but as you have an AT turntable I assume it would be pretty close.

Personally I would either get the VMH95e and then you can upgrade to the ML stylus later or just jump straight in for the VMH95ML. I have this on a Linn axis and it was excellent and I think this is the best bang for buck cartridge out there at the moment, remember that the ML stylus theoretically has three times the life of a standard elliptical so bear that in mind if you listen to your LPs a lot (1000+hrs vs 300+hrs therefore per hour it is aboput the same cost as one VM95e plus two additional stylus) plus it is very detailed, reduced clicks and pops and sorts out your IGD issue.
Thanks Ugg.

I hear you on the alignment thing, and I'm aware that it may not be perfect out of the box (the pre-aligned headshell package I want to buy) -- I would take my chances with that rather than trust my alignment abilities at this point and, as you said, I'm using an AT turntable so it should be kinda close...

I understand what you're saying about the VMH95ML -- and that's what I want -- but, as I also stated, this is kinda hard to swallow at 200 U.S. dollars with the headshell package, so I was looking for something under that price.

You make a good point about the microline's styli life, which I have read about as well, so that's something to consider.

A great cartridge i´m using is the AT VM540ML. It tracks good with little to no IGD when set up correctly.
I had stated in my original post -- and thank you for your response -- that I wanted to keep the price somewhat under $200 (U.S.); is this model you're suggesting in that range?

I'm wearing out my styli because that's what styli do after time -- wear out. It's from sheer amount of use, not from misalignment, as we run these things into the ground.

Dial back the attitude when someone’s trying to help. If you’re getting that much inner distortion with an AT cart on an AT turntable it needs checking. It’s not difficult it just takes patience and the rewards can be great.

As for paying for the headshell and cart too, I prefer to have a more plug-and-play method rather than having to set up the cart on my current stock headshell and go through alignment and all that; there are companies, even via Amazon, that sell the whole cart-mounted-on-headshell package so all I need to do when getting it is screw it on to my tonearm and dial in the tracking force.

I know they do. You already have the cartridge and the head shell so why buy them again when you can take the stylus off and replace it without disturbing either of the others and save money?

Dial back the attitude when someone’s trying to help. If you’re getting that much inner distortion with an AT cart on an AT turntable it needs checking. It’s not difficult it just takes patience and the rewards can be great.

I don't have an attitude; I was merely stating fact. It seems silly to suggest to someone that their stylus is wearing down because of misalignment when completely ignoring the possibility that someone is seasoned enough to understand that styli wears down after time. Is that not a confirmable fact?

As for inner groove distortion, you have to understand something -- I'm speaking strictly of the AT95E with its "fat elliptical" tip. I don't know if all styli will distort on my table in the inner grooves, as I've not yet tried anything else. I have set this cartridge up tirelessly and then even had a friend who is kind of a pro in the analog world take a look at it, and he set it up as best he could with some tools he brought. We could never get the AT95E, even a couple of weeks old, to track without distortion towards the spindle/label area.

I'm also far from the only individual on the planet who has complained about not being able to wring IGD-free sound from this particular cart (the original AT95E). There are plenty of examples of this online from other owners.

I know they do. You already have the cartridge and the head shell so why buy them again when you can take the stylus off and replace it without disturbing either of the others and save money?

I have no issues with just swapping out a stylus tip -- but if I upgraded to the microline cart/stylus in the new VM range from AT, I'd have to replace the whole cart assembly. Are you suggesting I just replace the stylus tip with the stylus of the new microline?

If so, I considered that -- I was told, first, the new microline styli for the 95 series would not fit on an old AT95E body like mine. Second, I think just the stylus is almost the same price as what the whole headshell package is selling for...

Last edited:
You are correct the VM95 stylus will not fit on a AT95 body. There are companies selling the AT95 stylus with a fine line or Shibata tip but again the are around the $130-170 mark.

Have a search through Jimi and LP Gear sites.

Example - LP Gear ATN95SLC stylus

Review of the AT95e and LP Gear AT95SA shibata - Nine Cartridges Reviewed, Compared and File Identities Revealed!
Thanks for the confirmation, though I must say: I have read conflicting things on sites like Vinyl Engine, in which people swear the new VM styli will fit on older 95E bodies with a bit of fiddling.

I've seen all the AT95 stylus upgrades on sites like LP Gear; thanks anyway. :)

Here's a thought... Between the VM95E and the VM95ML there's the VM95EN. It still has an ellipitical stylus, but unlike the bonded ones on the VM95E and the AT95E, it's a nude ellipitical. I think the elliptical profile is the same, but the lower mass nude stylus should make it better at tracking - I say "should" because I've never heard one and so I can't say for myself.

You can get it mounted in a headshell for $149...

And you'd still have the option at a later date of upgrading to the ML stylus.

Here's a thought... Between the VM95E and the VM95ML there's the VM95EN. It still has an ellipitical stylus, but unlike the bonded ones on the VM95E and the AT95E, it's a nude ellipitical. I think the elliptical profile is the same, but the lower mass nude stylus should make it better at tracking - I say "should" because I've never heard one and so I can't say for myself.

You can get it mounted in a headshell for $149...

And you'd still have the option at a later date of upgrading to the ML stylus.
Thank you. I will consider that.

I can vouch for the VM95ml superb tracker in the groove due to the micro line tip.
Just make sure you have it aligned correctly and it will reveal lots of distortion free music!

Another option is the Nagoaka MP110h with a headshell, this can be found on ebay for less than £120 if you look carefully. I've owned both the AT95e and the MP110. It still has an elliptical tip but with a different sonic signature, a little smoother, maybe a little less in your face but still very musical and I never noticed any IGD. I found the sound quality to be a good step up.

This also gives the option of upgrading the stylus to one from the MP150 or Mp200 (which I did). Do this and you'd be amazed how good your vinyl can sound!

Last edited:
I can vouch for the VM95ml superb tracker in the groove due to the micro line tip.
Just make sure you have it aligned correctly and it will reveal lots of distortion free music!
Thanks; but the problem is, I don't want to spend $200 (U.S.) for the headshell combo package of this cart. I'm trying to find something under that, but better than the AT95E (if that's possible)...

Another option is the Nagoaka MP110h with a headshell, this can be found on ebay for less than £120 if you look carefully. I've owned both the AT95e and the MP110. It still has an elliptical tip but with a different sonic signature, a little smoother, maybe a little less in your face but still very musical and I never noticed any IGD. I found the sound quality to be a good step up.

This also gives the option of upgrading the stylus to one from the MP150 or Mp200 (which I did). Do this and you'd be amazed how good your vinyl can sound!
Thanks Al. I will consider the Nagoaka.

I would be a bit hesitant going from an elliptical to an elliptical, but...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom