Question Recommendation for a punch down tool.

Maverick567

Evening all,

I’ve been punching down a few network cables and have lost the will to live with my £10 punch down tool from Screwfix. It is fairly unreliable at punching down and the cutter on the end no longer works.

What recommendations do people have for a tool that is half decent, and consistently punches downs?

Cheers

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Krone have been ubiquitous for ages - to the extent that some of us refer to all IDC punch down tools as "krone tool" in the same way that many brits call all brands of vacuum cleaner "hoovers." Krone can be a bit pricey though. Maybe a worthwhile investment if you are punching day in day out, but might be a bit OTT for a one off DIY job. It might work out less expensive to buy a couple of cheaper ones and live with the breakage. But then I suppose there's always eBay when you are done.

Maverick567

Krone have been ubiquitous for ages - to the extent that some of us refer to all IDC punch down tools as "krone tool" in the same way that many brits call all brands of vacuum cleaner "hoovers." Krone can be a bit pricey though. Maybe a worthwhile investment if you are punching day in day out, but might be a bit OTT for a one off DIY job. It might work out less expensive to buy a couple of cheaper ones and live with the breakage. But then I suppose there's always eBay when you are done.
Thanks, makes sense. Not sure I can justify £40 for DIY as you say!!

mushii

Distinguished Member
I still have my first British Telecom issued Krone tool - given to me by the BT engineer who taught me phone wiring in networking

Markr123

Just a note on my experience...
I purchased a Draper (likely just a v.cheap rebrand item) Amazon product
The tool failed in spectacular fashion with springs and bits of plastic flying all over the place after ~10 connections. Absolute waste of time.
I later purchased the Trendnet item from Amazon (as linked in @mushii link above). Far, far better quality.
I’m never normally one for falling for buy cheap, by twice but got caught out on the Draper item. Really tarnished my feeling on the brand as was so infuriating when a tool fails when part way through a task.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom