Recommendation for a good sound AV receiver!

Blazingice3

Standard Member
I am currently using a stereo amplifier NAD C326 BEE with Diamond 9.1 speakers, together with an external DAC. I am now planning to get a AV receiver for a 5.1 or Atmos setup. Ideally I would like to use the same receiver to also listen to music. However the general idea seems to be that AV receivers are inferior to stereo amplifiers when it comes to music. Is this still the case for most recent AV receivers? This would be my first AV receiver, so not sure what to expect in terms of sound quality. Lockdown is making it difficult to go and try them!

What kind of AV receiver would I need to get to match at least the music quality of a NAD C326 BEE (which isn't necessary a high spec amplifier)? I was looking at Sony STRDN 1080 or Yamaha RX-V6A. Do I need to go for more expensive AV receivers to match a basic stereo amplifier?

gibbsy

The higher you go up the food chain in AV amps the better they begin to sound with stereo music. Yamaha and Marantz certainly, Denon not so. The best sounding AV amps come from Arcam, Anthem and NAD. The Sony 1080 or Yamaha V6A are going to sound inferior to your NAD.

If I were you I would go for an AV amp that would suit your needs without breaking the bank and employ a speaker switcher, such as the Beresford 7220 and keep the NAD which will be able to share the front speakers with any AV amp purchased.

Budget?

Blazingice3

Standard Member
Thanks for the suggestion around Beresford 7220. I'll have a look. Would the addition of a subwoofer complicate the setup with Beresford?

Budget £450-£650.

David Alexander

Thanks for the suggestion around Beresford 7220. I'll have a look. Would the addition of a subwoofer complicate the setup with Beresford?

It shouldn't complicate it, but you may just have to include high level inputs for the subwoofer on your specification list e.g. SVS SB-1000 (like for like attachments from the Beresford Switch into banana plug/biding posts or REL and others via the Neutrik hi level connection.

You'll probably still have to have the AVR going to the sub via the LFE input to get LFE for movies,but you may well be able to leave the connections in as you switch between amplifiers.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom