Recommendation for a custom build TV stand

AM303

I've been looking for a low and wide solid wood TV stand for ages to sit my centre speaker on top of for ages but I can't find what I'm looking for. The ones I do like are extortionately priced. I'm sure a lot of members here have the same problem.

I'm looking for a joiner to make me a custom build. I live in North London. Any recommendations for a good quality joiner would be much appreciated. I tried AV soul but their prices are just unrealistic.

Happy new year in advance folks!

komarfamily

Hi,

I wonder where you are with this? I have the same problem. Just got a quote from SHARPS for 1600GBP. It is for a 270cm wide 45cm deep and 60cm high cabinet. It would be empty in the middle to accomodate my subwoofer and two cabinets on the side for the amps. I should have saved the mobile number of our sharps installer. He installed a full walk in wardrobe for three days for 650GBP. I am sure he could have done it much cheaper for me...

AM303

Hi,

I wonder where you are with this? I have the same problem. Just got a quote from SHARPS for 1600GBP. It is for a 270cm wide 45cm deep and 60cm high cabinet. It would be empty in the middle to accomodate my subwoofer and two cabinets on the side for the amps. I should have saved the mobile number of our sharps installer. He installed a full walk in wardrobe for three days for 650GBP. I am sure he could have done it much cheaper for me...
Hello mate. I haven't got any further, my centre speaker is still on the floor. The struggle is real lol.
I'm looking for a cabinet 170cm wide, 40cm high and the same deep. Haven't found anything off the shelf that I like or close to reasonably priced. Also no luck with custom builds. I'm sure there are people out there doing them. It's a real gap in the market.

AVAndyefc

Novice Member
Got a very similar problem myself. Want to upgrade, but could only really add an inch in height as the TV is in front of a window. Looked on checkatrade for joiners/carpenters. Going to contact a few and see what they say. The design is simple, but needs specific space for centre and AV receiver, Sky box, Blu Ray player.

Vinny155

I build stuff,from wood,can build anything I guess once have a plan.The problem for me when anyone wants something done in solid wood is sourcing the materials as very expensive here so I now just mostly build stuff from mdf sheets that then get painted.
IMG-20220131-WA0000.jpg

Tradesmen in and around London,carpenters for example,good ones are very hard to come by for less than £300 per day..take the cost of materials and fixings on top and it does not take long to add up,especially if solid wood

AVAndyefc

Novice Member
I build stuff,from wood,can build anything I guess once have a plan.The problem for me when anyone wants something done in solid wood is sourcing the materials as very expensive here so I now just mostly build stuff from mdf sheets that then get painted.View attachment 1657255

Tradesmen in and around London,carpenters for example,good ones are very hard to come by for less than £300 per day..take the cost of materials and fixings on top and it does not take long to add up,especially if solid wood
Looks like fine work. MDF would be fine for us as it can be finished to look nice. Not sure how easy a custom IR glass door is to find though?

Jester1066

Not sure how easy a custom IR glass door is to find though?
Most standard glass will allow IR to pass through it. Obviously the darker the tint, may well be less effective.

Edit. I use standard 4mm light smoked grey glass in my cabinet doors and have no problem with controlling via remotes etc. (Obviously the the ir receiver on said device must be visible through the glass).

In the event it's not IR extenders are an inexpensive alternative.

AVAndyefc

Novice Member
Most standard glass will allow IR to pass through it. Obviously the darker the tint, may well be less effective.

Edit. I use standard 4mm light smoked grey glass in my cabinet doors and have no problem with controlling via remotes etc. (Obviously the the ir receiver on said device must be visible through the glass).

In the event it's not IR extenders are an inexpensive alternative.
Do you happen to have any recommendations for good IR extenders? Just thinking that a wooden door may well be more cost effective if an IR extender is neat and works reliably.

Jester1066

Do you happen to have any recommendations for good IR extenders? Just thinking that a wooden door may well be more cost effective if an IR extender is neat and works reliably.
I'd always go with a externally powered IR repeater. Something like this:

Queen.Y IR Repeater Remote Control Extender Infrared Hidden IR Repeater System Kit Infrared 6 Emitters & 1 Receiver for DVD IPTV Karaoke Hotel Set-Top Box Hidden Installation Bath Center and Home Amazon product

You'd position the single IR transmitter somewhere outside the cabinet. Then position each of the 4 seperate receiver IR's near the built in IR receiver of each device you want to control (eg AVR, Bluray player etc) - The individual receiver nodes stick onto the devices. (Pic 6 on the link shows how to connect it). The Control box can be screwed somewhere in the cabinet, so it's a: out of sight and b: tidy.

AVAndyefc

Novice Member
I'd always go with a externally powered IR repeater. Something like this:

Queen.Y IR Repeater Remote Control Extender Infrared Hidden IR Repeater System Kit Infrared 6 Emitters & 1 Receiver for DVD IPTV Karaoke Hotel Set-Top Box Hidden Installation Bath Center and Home Amazon product

You'd position the single IR transmitter somewhere outside the cabinet. Then position each of the 4 seperate receiver IR's near the built in IR receiver of each device you want to control (eg AVR, Bluray player etc) - The individual receiver nodes stick onto the devices. (Pic 6 on the link shows how to connect it). The Control box can be screwed somewhere in the cabinet, so it's a: out of sight and b: tidy.

Thanks. Appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom