Question Recommendation for 27" monitor

Jason56d

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for the best 27" monitor for my budget for use with my Windows 7 PC. Think a 32" would be too big for me. Currently have a Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD that is looking a bit washed out colour wise since getting my son a new Dell monitor a few months back.

Budget is around £250, but could stretch to £300. Would prefer a 1440p if possible if for no other reason than slight future proofing, but not essential.

Don't need anything super fancy, basic use is a lot browsing, few Word & Excel documents, occasionally watching TV shows, Netflix, Prime, Sky etc when I been kicked off every other viewing option.

Don't game or do photo or video editing.

So really just general use and would like it to look as pretty as possible on the outside and as well as screen quality!

Thanks

Budget is around £250, but could stretch to £300. Would prefer a 1440p if possible if for no other reason than slight future proofing, but not essential.

Resolution doesn't work like that on computers, they function differently to TVs or Phones.

A 2560x1440 27" isn't any better or more future proof than a 1920x1080 27", it's just denser. Everything renders using the same pixels but those pixels are smaller, so everything is shrunk down.

On the positive side, it lets you fit more on screen. On the negative side, smaller text and so on is trickier to read. You may need to sacrifice some desk space in front of the screen and bring it closer to you.

The same sizing on a 2560x1440 display to your current 23" 1920x1080 would be a 31".

There are efforts to make the Windows/Mac OS model more like Android/iOS and TVs that go under the name of Retina, HiDPI or scaling. You can use their settings with 25x14 to make everything bigger, but you don't really get optimal results until you're at twice the resolution which means 3840x2160 or 5120x2880 for a 16:9 display like this.

Resolution doesn't work like that on computers, they function differently to TVs or Phones.

A 2560x1440 27" isn't any better or more future proof than a 1920x1080 27", it's just denser. Everything renders using the same pixels but those pixels are smaller, so everything is shrunk down.

On the positive side, it lets you fit more on screen. On the negative side, smaller text and so on is trickier to read. You may need to sacrifice some desk space in front of the screen and bring it closer to you.

The same sizing on a 2560x1440 display to your current 23" 1920x1080 would be a 31".

There are efforts to make the Windows/Mac OS model more like Android/iOS and TVs that go under the name of Retina, HiDPI or scaling. You can use their settings with 25x14 to make everything bigger, but you don't really get optimal results until you're at twice the resolution which means 3840x2160 or 5120x2880 for a 16:9 display like this.

I do sit quite close anyway as it’s on a raised section on my desk. That’s why I think a 32” will be too big?

I did think as much re resolution. As I said, it’s not essential.

Maybe just go for the Dell 27 equivalent of my sons one then? This one?

DELL S2719H Full HD 27" IPS Monitor - Black

His (23”) is amazing.

Anything else I should consider?

Couldn't make up my mind, and after looking at loads, but decided the 27" was probably overkill for my needs and seating position. I went for the 24" Dell S2419H.

So am picking it up from John Lewis today. Currys didn't have any stock anywhere (even the 2418), but JL did, but were more expensive by £30. Got them to do a price match against Currys, and got 5% off through a work scheme.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom