Question Recommendation for 120 mile motorway commute?

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by SmokeyBubbles, Apr 16, 2018.

1. SmokeyBubbles

SmokeyBubbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all,

I have a strange commute that sees me travel once a week to my place of work, park for two days, then travel back.

I currently have an E-Class Mercedes (Diesel) for this run and average about 45mpg, however with the progress made in battery and hybrid vehicles (plus the advantages of company car taxation in the UK) I wondered if there was now a better option out there?

My main concerns are;
    • Current plug-ins seem to be at their limit at this 120 mile range and motorways = delays – will the battery last a 120 mile journey once factoring in traffic?
    • I am unsure if they are ideally suited for this use of better for town driving i.e. at motorway speeds are there “real world” increases in MPG?
    If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated as I was hoping pretty soon I could see petrol/diesel free commutes - just plug in at work or home and complete the 120 motorway run every 3 days on the cost of electricity alone!

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,961
    I have an Ioniq which has a 28kWh battery (one of the smallest capacities in 2018 pure electric models) and I'd be fairly confident in doing 120 miles in one go in all but the coldest conditions. To get that, I'd probably run it without climate on (if needed, heated seats and wheel help, and use much less power than cabin heating in my experience). And I'd stick to 60mph cruise. Just yesterday, I did a 65 mile motorway trip (exterior temp ~12 degC) and it was showing consumption at 5.5 miles per unit, which puts 120 miles theoretically well in range. At my destination, I parked in a public car park, paid £1 for three hours parking, and left it plugged in at a 7kW charger, which was free to use. As I was visiting this place, the 2.5 hours or so it took to charge doesn't count - I left it while I was visiting. So my 65 miles cost me £0 or £1 if you account for the parking charge, and the refill took 0 minutes of my useful time to do.

To max out the range on long trips, another Ioniq owner here "hypermiles" by using the reactive cruise control to slipstream something big, like a coach.

If there is a rapid charger (~50kW) en route (and, preferably, a backup plan in case it's not available for any reason) then that makes the trip wholly feasible. A 20 minute (or so) stop will see you topped up to 93% full again. You can check out charger locations on your route at Charging points and electric vehicles UK 2018 - Zap Map . You might even get away doing it for free if you pick the right charger - there are many free rapids out there.

I assume you can charge whilst at work. For a two-day stop, even a 13a socket will do.

The new leaf will theoretically go further than the Ioniq - although I have seen criticism that they don't have battery temperature management which kills them in the cold and with repeated rapid charges; the Ioniq does have battery temp management and will rapid charge consecutively.

True costs in my own real-world case:
    Accounting for
    (1) charge costs at home, based on a monthly report from the dedicated charge point I have of units used x my domestic per-unit cost
    (2) cash cost of any remote charges (varying from £0 upwards)
    (3) one particular location where we use power at a private residence and we pay the owner £10 a time for the privilege
    (4) cases where I pay parking charges in parks I wouldn't otherwise use, in order to access a charge point
    at 3558 very varied miles, mostly in winter, we had spent at total of £116.15 in "fuel". That's from new in November until a week or so back.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  3. SmokeyBubbles

SmokeyBubbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for your time and feedback LV426.

Maybe it is just too early for me and will have to wait another couple of years. Must admit, I do the journey every week and I do not want to add the stress of whether I am going to make it onto my commute.

The technology is certainly getting there so hopefully not too soon!

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,986
    I think the latest Renault Zoe may be suitable, perhaps @PRESSTOG can advise?

5. Frostytouch

Frostytouch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    @SmokeyBubbles

Can you tell us your average speed on your commute?

In summer Nissan Leaf 40KW and Hyundai Ioniq will both do your trip easily, in winter you would need to heat the car from mains at home and at work so you don't waste battery on bringing the car up to a comfortable temp.

I'd suggest you test both and see what you think.

Active cruise up to 70mph will easily get you there with current cars.

Is it a company car or your own, this may help with the financials.

6. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    When I read the thread title I thought an e class Mercedes diesel would be just the car for the job, opened the thread to find that’s what you have.

7. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    The Zoe can do my run of 143 miles without issue at motorway speeds all year

(Caveat I only do 65 I dont see the point in tearing down the M1 to hit the next backup)

In Winter I get into London with about 15% Left in Summer about 30% Left

Max I have done in a run is 202 Miles from Home to Brighton non stop.

NEDC Range is 250 miles but that is not possible unless you do 50 stuck to the bum of the slowest lorry you can find on the motorway.

ZOE Plus Points
    RANGE. Nothing else in the price bracket can touch it. 150 Winter 200 Summer
    PRICE. For the car brand new with OWNED Battery is about 16k for the Midrange and 19k for the top of the range. (Or you can lease the battery which knocks £5k off the purchase price, but then you are stuck with a non owned battery)

ZOE Negative Points
    DEALER NETWORK. They are truly shocking, both when buying and when trying to get service, I know all brands had good and bad but renault are predominantly bad, and as only a small percentage of the dealers can work on the Zoe you need to make sure you have one local, (Both My Locals Mansfield and Chesterfield cannot) Derby is pathetic Nottingham keeps losing its EV trained Staff. So its a 40 mile trek to Sheffield for anything reliable.
    BUILD QUALITY. Not really a Negative more a you pay for what you get at the price it sells for the quality is what you would expect lots of cheap plastic. Dont be expecting Merc or BMW here.

ODD POINTS

Charging, as the Zoe does not have DC Rapid Charge. It has Type2 AC only but can use any Single or 3 phase supply, so 7kw Single Phase or 11kw or 22kw Three Phase (And if you pay the extra £500 for the Q Version also 43kw Three Phase).

So the Q Version will charge on a rapid charger as quick as most DC Rapid charge cars.

On a 43kw Rapid Charger it will go from Empty to 85% in an hour, so if you are stopping on the M1 for a Pee and a Subway you will get a really good charge in that time.. Low to 85% adds about 140 miles range in an hour.

On a 7kw Single Phase home or street charger it fully charges from empty to full in 7 hours so if you have Economy 7 its a great to get it fully charged each night.

A lot of work places are fitting 22kw 3 Phase 32amp Chargers (As they have 3 phase to the workplace), these are as cheap to fit as 7KKw single phase if you have a ready 3 phase supply, and this is where the Zoe comes into its own as will charge in 2 hours from Empty to full, and about the only car out there that can fully utilise a 3 phase 22kw or 43kw supply

I would recommend the Zoe for anyone who wants long runs without charging, I do 40k + a year miles and it works really well for that. But dont expect the luxury you would get in a normal mid to high range motorway hack, it is a city spec car even the top of the range SigNav is lacking in creature comforts. No Radar Cruise or Lane Departure Assist, The standard Nav system is crap but luckily there is a hack to Get Android Auto working on it.

The biggest bonus is if you are driving to an EV Receptive destination. I do 3 days a week from Mansfield to London and back

So Each day I save about £40 in Diesel.. No Congestion Charge £11.50.. Free EV Parking in London (Against P&D for a Diesel now at £45 for 6 hours)

So I am £100 a day up. I know for others its about the environment, but for me its about the cash in the pocket.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  8. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    A used Tesla Model S is realistically the only EV that can do 120 miles at decent M way speeds day in day out without worrying about speed or having to turn the climate control off.

Used Model S are now creeping under £40k, infact there is a decent spec 60S on AutoTrader right now for £35k.

If you want a Model S with autopilot (very advanced lane keep assist and adaptive curise) your need to up the budget to £50k.

In answer to traffic and range, no traffic doesnt worsen range, infact its the opposite, the slower you go the more range you get. Unlike a petrol/diesel car EVs have the same efficiecy at 10mph as 70mph, the difference been the air resistance at 70mph is hundreds of time more than at 10mph so it takes alot morw energy to cover the same distance.

EVs also use hardly any energy when stationary, last summer I was stuck on the M1 for nearly 2hr, 28 degrees so had aircon on all the time because of our 12 months old was in the car, ended up using just 1% charge to run the aircon for nearly 2hrs. Winter is a similae story, once up to temp the heater use surprisingly little energy.

9. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,213
    It’s an option certainly

If @SmokeyBubbles needs the added comfort and refinement for 2 x 120 miles journeys per week. Granted he has a Merc at the moment but maybe the Zoe is enough for 5 or so hours cruising a week

And yes I do think 65 is a decent motorway speed.