Recommendation buying my first Blu-Ray player

jamonbread

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm in the UK and I've finally decided to buy my first Blu-Ray player something I've been putting off for years now.

I recently brought a DVD/Blu-Ray movie combo pack that was only released in the US so I'd really like a multi region player. I've noticed some movies not getting releases in Europe on Blu-Ray.

I've read that Panasonic players are easy to modify for region free playback of both Blu-Ray's and DVD's?

I'm hoping to spend around £50 -70 tops but would consider other good suggestions that maybe cost a little extra than that

Any advice on the best models available within my budget would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Many players are straightforward to modify for multi region DVD playback, but not so with Blu-ray. Have you checked your combo pack to establish if the discs are region free (A,B & C) or not, as many are. Richer Sounds sell a good range of players modified for MR DVD playback. Look below for typical prices of fully MR players from across the manufacturers:

Blu-Ray & DVD Multiregion - Multiregionmagic The Home Of Multiregion DVD & Blu-Ray

There are exceptions of course, and you may get cheaper on other sites. Depends really if you want to start getting more region A & C Blu-rays...

Here is the AV Forum's MR Forum:

Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks

Last edited:
Many players are straightforward to modify for multi region DVD playback, but not so with Blu-ray. Have you checked your combo pack to establish if the discs are region free (A,B & C) or not, as many are. Richer Sounds sell a good range of players modified for MR DVD playback. Look below for typical prices of fully MR players from across the manufacturers:

Blu-Ray & DVD Multiregion - Multiregionmagic The Home Of Multiregion DVD & Blu-Ray

There are exceptions of course, and you may get cheaper on other sites. Depends really if you want to start getting more region A & C Blu-rays...

Here is the AV Forum's MR Forum:

Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks

The DVD is region 1 NTSC and the Blu-Ray is zone A. I can play the DVD in my 15 year old DVD player as it is a multi region unit and also using my PC using software. It would be nice to be able to play Blu-Ray's from zone A & B so I can watch the movie in HD as well as buy other zone A disc that don't get released over here.

I'm surprised that a lot of Blu-Ray players aren't multi region for just DVD playback out of the box. I've been looking at sites selling modified multi region players but the prices seem high when looking at the stock players prices.

Thanks for the links I'll check them out now.

Richer Sounds don't tend to charge a lot extra for MR DVD players...

Got exactly this decision to make as well ... two in the frame for me are the Samsung BD-F5100 (£58.50 Amazon) or the Sony BDP-S1500 (£48.99 again, Amazon). After all of 2 minutes thinking I feel drawn to the Sony ... better brand name I guess, 16% cheaper (!) ... and I think quieter by the sounds of the reviews. Anyone want to convince me not to go for that?

Not me, been a big Sony fan for years...

Thank you gang, Sony it is. In the end realized I had a 3D projector, so forked out £74 for the 3D enabled BDP-S5500 ....

Last edited:
Thank you gang, Sony it is. In the end thought realized I had a 3D projector, so forked out £74 for the 3D enabled BDP-S5500 ....

Let us know how the player works out for you after you've spent some time with it.

Player is great - can't fault it ... although the remote is a bit small and tacky, although I'm going for a universal one so this won't be a long running problem.

Player is great - can't fault it ... although the remote is a bit small and tacky, although I'm going for a universal one so this won't be a long running problem.

Can you hear any mechanical noise when, for example, it is reading or playing DVDs & Blu-rays?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom