Recommend wall mounted speakers

deepbeep

I've come to the sad conclusion that our living room layout just doesn't work with my stand mounted Kef Q300s. Also, living in a semi-detached, with living room on adjoining wall, generally need to have the bass turned down and low volume. I love the Q300s and used to love some loud listening sessions when neighbours out but obviously they are always in nowadays.

Really need to find some speakers to attach to the walls. Technically the Q300s can go on walls but they are big and heavy and it's a stud wall they'd go on so I'm not convinced its a good idea physically or aesthetically, although I am not averse to having something just slightly less chunky on the walls.

If it's relevant I am using a Yamaha rn-602 to drive the speakers and the living room is approx 5.5m x 3m (the speakers will be at either side of the shorter width so projecting down the length of the room).

Looking for speaker recommendations. Smaller bookshelf speakers? Smaller still satellite speakers? Perhaps I could add a subwoofer at some stage although unlikely to get much use Currently when neighbours always in.

In terms of budget I'd prefer not to spend more than £300 but would go up to £500 if absolutely worth it.

Grateful for any recommendations.

dogfonos

The stud wall isn't the ajoining wall, is it?

In your situation, I'd go for a 2.1 setup. Reason is that you could turn the sub down (or off) for listening when the neighbours are in or for late night sessions. Also, any decently performing 2.0 speaker pair in a medium sized room, such as yours, won't be that small and large-ish speakers mounted on a wall are just too oppressive, IMO.

Edifier sell a nice 2.1 system:

Haven't checked how these would connect to the Yamaha though. There are other powered 2.1 setups available from M-Audio, Adam Audio (maybe over budget?) and a few other studio-based manufacturers:

Alternatively, a pair of passive satellites and a powered sub would also work. Maybe a small wharfedale pair togther with their matching sub:

Onlythesound

I had a pair of these once, married to a sub. They worked very well and will stand or wall mount.

Dali also do a larger cousin to these called the lcr but they are £ 360 each.

password1

Distinguished Member
Monitor Audio monitor 50

As reviewed on this forum

Fantastic little speakers.

deepbeep

Thanks for replies.

The Dali Fazon get a bit tick for aesthetics. I will take a look at them. Would my rn-602 power them well?

The MA50s look nice, but they have a rear bass port. I would have thought they would be unsuitable for wall mounting?

password1

Distinguished Member
I have the floorstanding version of the monitor 50, the monitor 200, and i find they are not very sensitive to being close to a wall.

they can be bunged up but no harm in trying unbunged.

deepbeep

There's close to.. but I am talking about mounting them on a wall.

I will read up, but instinctively would have thought better to go for something front ported. These can't have been designed with wall mounting in mind?

password1

Distinguished Member
The monitor 50 are designed to have the option to be wall mounted, they have a wall mounting screw hole at the back, so im assuming they've considered the possibility that some users will want to wall mount.

Onlythesound

Re. Driving the fazons, I don’t know about the rn 602 specifically but I suspect it would be fine as I was using a fairly modest Yamaha amp at the time (circa 2011) .

deepbeep

Does anybody have any views / experience with the Dali Alteco C1 for stereo use?

password1

Distinguished Member
Does anybody have any views / experience with the Dali Alteco C1 for stereo use?
Looking at the specification, they dont look very impressive, a small 4.5" driver in a small cabinet, they would be best used for their intended purpose of being atmos/height surround speakers.

I would look for small wall mountable speakers that are designed for full range use.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom