1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend speakers for cyrus 8vs system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by markclayton7, Aug 18, 2005.

1. markclayton7

markclayton7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you help? I am looking for recommendations for floor standing speakers for my Cyrus system. I have a Cyrus 8vs amp and a Cyrus 8x CD, I listen to indie rock music and some dance stuff. The room I am in at the moment is around 20' by 16'.

I currently have Celestion A2's that are factory prototypes. They are lacking in bass, they sound bright and lack definition. Some reviews have said the A2's are too bass heavy which has confused me.

Reviews I've read have suggested Ruark Crusader ll, Castle Harlech S2, Spendor S5E, Quad 22L and Mission 782SE. I have never heard any of them.

Do you have the same are a similar system to me and what are you using. Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Whilst I personally havent tested the combination the Spendor are frequently recommended for pairing with the Cyrus 8 series equipment - personally I think they are butt ugly but I guess it depends on what level of importants you put on sound quality -v- aesthetics

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Cyrus's house sound is rather dry and detailed with fast pacing. This means that the mid range is often lean, and bass is accurate, but not as pronounced as other brands (NAD Arcam etc). This is no bad thing, but if you don't like this sound tyhen perhaps the source or amp should be replaced?

However, you could use some tonally warmner sounding speakers, like Castle or KEF (havent heard the last two "Q" generations, but I seem to remember they had a more full bodied sound than neutral) to offset the less deirable elements. I would not reccomend the Quad and definetly not Ruark, given your comments. Ruark have a very lively balance (I have a full set of them). Dunno about Mission or Spendor, but word is Spendor are a good match for Cyrus as mentioned

Russell

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I second russraff. Cyrus should sound good with Spendor. Proac as well. A left-field choice would be Totem, lovely lush sound, just right with the lean Cyrus IMO.

5. watchlotsdvd

watchlotsdvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May I suggest you have a listen to Monitor Audio GR10 :clap: standmounters or if the G20 floorstanders fantastic speakers :cool: , I have the GR10's on Atacama Se6 stands have them hooked up to a CD8/8 Amp running on Cyrus speaker cables - sound amazing, great wide encompassing soundstage, great timing, the bass from these hard to belive, never thought such a small speaker could produce a deep rich and controlled bass. Speakers are lounge friendly look good, lots of good wood finished, very easy to drive with the Cyrus 8 amp.

I listen to varied music - rock, indie, classical, reggae and jazz/blues.

I also like the sound of the Spendors, as ever you need to go and demo.

happy listening :)

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Speakers that work well with Cyrus Electronics are Spendor, ProAc, Monitor Audio & also i now use the new B&W 805S's which absolutely rock with Cyrus components, previously i ran ProAc Response D15's but the new B&W's sound even better.

Regards
    John

7. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I would've thought something like the Epos M12.2 would do nicely. A very good all-rounder and competitively priced, IMHO. Dour, drab styling though.....

Other than that, Kef XQ1 (can be a tad forward though) or Dynaudio 42/52 should be on your demo list.

As for Castle, all I can say is that my friends' all-Cyrus system sounds as dull as ditchwater with Pembrokes on the end.

Get the GR10's if you like speakers that sound really boxy :rolleyes:

DT

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I must admit, I thought that the gold centre was worse than the silver! But, each to their own.

I reccomended the Castle range becasue the original post mentioned a bright character and pointed to a lack of perceived mid/bass. Castle purposefully make speakers that are warm sounding, so I thought that this would solve the bright problem. Going on from that, the Dynaudios and Epos range may still leave the poster with a brighter system.

Again, I would change the source and amp if the sound is not right.

Russell

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, forgot Dynaudios they work extremly well with Cyrus and if i remember correctly they have demd them at shows with the Dynaudio 52SE, very nice indeedy...

10. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    That might be the case, as my friend's Cyrus system is about 5 years old, not the latest VS/X badged stuff. I assume they've solved that "greyness" problem by now :)

TBH, I recommended Dynaudio's more because of the poster's penchant for rock & dance music, rather than any specific synergy with Cyrus gear. They could indeed make for a brighter overall sound.....

DT

11. chevvies

chevvies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would heartily recommend Dynaudio as an excellent match for Cyrus.

12. Dickster

Dickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm a current, and very happy user of a pair of PMC's who's bass is absolutely fantastic.

Just my two peneth's worth. Happy demoing. :thumbsup:
    Dickster

13. music1st

music1st

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demo'd the Cyrus CD8x and 8vs with Linn Ninka last week. What a combination! Anyone want a Linn Movie Classik :eek:)

14. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    A few have suggested above, but i too would look at Dynaudio for that kind of music, i use Audience 42's and have had extensive demo's of all sorts...

52Se or 72SE are fantastic speakers with amazing bass, but without sacrificing the fantastic mid and top end from Dynaudio..

That said, ProAc and PMC would feature higly on my list :)

What's the budget....