Recommend some Slick Floorstanders

eastman3000

Hi Chaps!

On the hunt for some sleek looking floorstanders.
Requrements -Up to £400! black (possibly gloss) & good sound quality (of course)

One option is the MA R270. Ok there are going to be better sounding speakers but Ive turned into a bit of a style feend lately and its 50% sound and 50% style. where as before used to be 100% sound was importance.

KEF IQ5s?

These are more of a regular floor stander but in black finish i think they look cool also. what do you guys think. Initally they will be run off a Zone2 amp on an av reciever but later stereo setup.

thanks

lazymatt

MA BR5's - not sure they come in black - but best SQ you'll get from a floor stander at that price point.

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Have you actually listened to the MA 270's?

i think you will be more than happy:smashin:

eastman3000

Thanks chaps. The comment on the R270s is very reassuring. Although AE have always made nice speakers. unfortunatly not styled enough. But that a requirement and a personal prefernece.

totem? who are they!? investigation..............

T

tahoe joe

I was in the exact same boat as you, looking for slim floorstanders that looked sexy and sounded great. The totem arro's are probably the best looking of all, but I ruled them out because 1) they are not magnetically shielded (unfortunately my video is way behind my audio and I've got a big old tube TV) and 2) I don't they can cut it as full-range stereo setup with no sub, in a big room.

So then I was all set to get the MA br5's or the KEF iq5's, and went to several dealers to have a listen to them on various amps. Lo and behold, I had one listen (and then some more) to the MA silver rs6's, and I was hooked on those. They are bit more $$, but well worth it on the sound front. And they look a lot better than the other 2 as well, because they have a real wood cabinet. I have them in my house now, and they are absolutely amazing, in looks and sound. I would highly recommend having a listen...

That said, the br5's were way better than the KEF in my ears, and they will hold their own as full-range floorstanders in a big room. In fact, if it's a really small room, the rs6's would be overkill. One last thing: the rs6's are very bright and forward, so should be paired with a warm, laid back amp. I've got mine with Cambridge Audio 640A, and it's brilliant.

P

Peter Galbavy

I can also recommend the AE Aegis EVOs - they also make a model one up from those that may fit your price range. Aelite I think.

Originally I bought a EVO 7.1 system from the classified forum and while "tuning" my old Denon 3802 I realised that the EVOs were better than my old TDL RTL3s... so I found another pair in the classified forum a week later an replace my downstairs music setup with them.

However, using my favorite Infected Mushroom test track "Bust A Move" I still think the TDLs win - the EVO drivers appear to all hit the limit of their travel even driven my a lowly CA 640A (@ 50W or so).

tidytrev

Thanks chaps. The comment on the R270s is very reassuring. Although AE have always made nice speakers. unfortunatly not styled enough. But that a requirement and a personal prefernece.

totem? who are they!? investigation..............

i bought the ae's purely on the aesthetics lol i think they look real nice, but i suppose its because they go with the rest of my setup, beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that......

shane515

eastman3000

I went for these here I got them in cherry (black available) and the for me, the colour works :thumbsup: . The sound is outstanding with both music and movies :thumbsup: ......hope you find what your looking for :D

Shane

BOOMERANGBUBB

Check these out! I have a friend with the complete 6.1 package.

The floor standers are outstanding, and look the business.....

http://www.aivn.co.uk/

They are in High Gloss Black and are just within your price range... £385.00

Take it easy
Keir

eastman3000

Check these out! I have a friend with the complete 6.1 package.

The floor standers are outstanding, and look the business.....

http://www.aivn.co.uk/

They are in High Gloss Black and are just within your price range... £385.00

Take it easy
Keir

Very nice!! the aivn i have not heard of - but look pretty meaty the way they have made the base stand!

Shane

The missions are lovely too!

BOOMERANGBUBB

Very nice!! the aivn i have not heard of - but look pretty meaty the way they have made the base stand!

Shane

The missions are lovely too!

Hi, just for info....

The Aivn (Duo Acoustics) set were featured in the latest Home Cinema Choice mag.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Canton CD100 are lvely sexy floorstander in matt black or the CD200 in gloss black but the 200 may be over budget there is a special forum member offer on canton see the powerbuy thread at the top of the speaker forum for more info and prices

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom