Recommend some good non fiction movie books?

zz101

Banned
Looking for 'making of / history of' type titles for horror / sci fi / cult etc?

Anyone got any suggestions? Nothing too 'Sight and Sound'ish though.

:)

Edward Catflap

Novice Member
Off the top of my head (I'm not at home at the mo to be able to check my bookshelves), here's a few:

Inside The Wicker Man by Alan Brown
Evil Dead Companion by Bill Warren
Crystal Lake Memories : The History of Friday 13th by Peter Bracke
See No Evil : Banned Films & Video Controversy by David Kerekes & David Slater
The Satanic Screen by Nikolas Schreck
Bad Blood : Illustrated Guide to Psycho Cinema by Christian Fuchs
Texas Chainsaw Massacre Companion by Stefan Jaworzyn

Garrett

Sort of conected with movies is this book on the Rat Pack.:smashin:

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
I can heartily recommend...

Beyond Horror Holocaust: A Deeper Shade of Red
Shock Horror: Astounding Artwork from the Video Nasty Era

Both are fantastic reads about the whole Horror/Video Nasty genre & well worth the asking price.
I've read both cover to cover & have helped make my DVDpacific wishlist span about 3 solid pages of horror movies :devil: :devil:

Definitley worth adding to any collection.

Neil

the_pauley

Banned
Easy Riders and Raging Bulls (How the Sex-Drugs-and-Rock 'n' Roll Generation Saved Hollywood) by Peter Biskind. One of the best books about Hollywood ever written.

The story of how the new generation of movie-brat directors (Hopper, Fonda, Lucas, Altman, Speilberg, DePalma, Coppola, Scorcese) came to dominate Hollywood in the '70s. A fascinating read.

Shock Value by John Waters. One of the funniest books about movie making (and other strange stuff) ever. Stayed up all night and read it in one go. Definitely comes under "cult".

Banshee

Novice Member
Easy Riders and Raging Bulls (How the Sex-Drugs-and-Rock 'n' Roll Generation Saved Hollywood) by Peter Biskind. One of the best books about Hollywood ever written.

The story of how the new generation of movie-brat directors (Hopper, Fonda, Lucas, Altman, Speilberg, DePalma, Coppola, Scorcese) came to dominate Hollywood in the '70s. A fascinating read.

Shock Value by John Waters. One of the funniest books about movie making (and other strange stuff) ever. Stayed up all night and read it in one go. Definitely comes under "cult".
Another vote for Easy Riders/Raging Bulls. It's been re-released lately in a cheap paperback format and I've seen it in Waterstones for 2.99. Whilst not quite within the remit, 'The Jaws Log' by Carl Gottlieb and 'Truffaut and Me' by Bob Balaban are worth a read.

gm0x45

Standard Member
Mark Kermode "The Exorcist" obviously, bfi. Surely a bit too Sound and Sightish but if you are looking for books, I believe you don't consume movies just like popcorns.

richard1875

Novice Member
How about "Rebels on the backlot"? It covers the newer directors and there signature films. QT (pulp fiction), David Fincher (fight club), David O. Russel (three kings), PTA (boogie nights), Steven Sodeerbergh (traffic), Spike Jonze (being john malkovich). Well worth a read imo.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom