Recommend some good 5.1 speakers for £400

Davekale86

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the title says looking for some good 5.1 speakers mainly used for movies and occasionally music currently have some tannoy sfx 5.1s but they're a bit dated now any help would be appreciated ;)

what so of room are you using it in? It terms of sound quality for the price I have mentioned before getting Wharfedale 9.1s and using 5 but I know that the looks may not be to your taste and using a bookshelf speaker as a centre could be tricky. It would get you 5 matching speakers with a spare plus a sub for £430 though so you could get that and stands/brackets for around £500

Depends if u looking new or used harmed Karen is the one I use I got them for 450 of eBay and are more than happy

Will try and audition those monitor audios audio visual isn't too far from where I live will try and demo some wharfedale dx1 Hcp as well ;)

Also looking for speakers with the same budget as you. I've narrowed it down to Q-Acoustic Q7000 and Monitor Audio Vectors. MA speakers are £100 less, but QA ones look nicer. Both appear to get good reviews although both are old models now, but this is why they are within budget having hefty discounts. Having trouble deciding between the two, I feel that larger drivers normally give better low end performance and the frequency response is better with the MA with their 4" cones. I will be using them for cinema and music. Unfortunately due to my location I cant demo either. Anyone tested both or have an opinion on which to choose?

Will try and audition those monitor audios audio visual isn't too far from where I live will try and demo some wharfedale dx1 Hcp as well ;)
did you get a chance to test them? I am also choosing in this range of amp and speakers. As discussed here and here. Leaning towards the MAVs now, but could go with the award winning Tannoy HTS101s...
Tough decisions. Luxury problems.

Ordered the tannoys today so will set them up On Monday when I'm off will let u know what I think of them

If it's any use I demo,d tannoy tfx 5.1 yesterday and thought they were superb ,then the man in charge put the q acoustics 7000 on and to be fair they,re on another level ,much better detail ,more of a wider soundstage and just generally better in every depatment including weight and build quality .....but
They,re at least half as big again as the tannoys ,the centre is half as deep and the sub is a monster , I was sold on everything but the size so have started a thread to see if I can get some advice on comparable harman kardons.

Another plus for the 7000,s is that I had kef 3005,s a few years back and I wouldn't say they,re as good as the 7000,s ,I was seriously impressed with them but it's taken me a while to get the other half to agree to decorate our walls in electrical equipment and it's just the size of them that is slightly foreboding ,they aren't compact .
Hope this helps .

Just got my HTS101's the other day paired with my Sony amp, will be interesting to see what settings you use. :)

yes I am also curious to see how they sound, esp as I am also choosing between a Yamaha and Sony amp to pair with Tannoy101s. Ive heard the MAV sub has a constant mild hum. That's not for me, so Tannoy it is.
Must say dont think its fair to compare the Q7000 with the TannoyTFX. Arent they in a differnet price bracket?

Yeah they are trx are around £300 while q7000 are about £600

have u noticed any hum from the sub? Ive heard it mentioned..
Can't say I've noticed any hum coming from sub weather it's on or on standby

Finally got round to installing new speakers initial impressions are very good recalibrated my yamaha amp and watched a few films watched oblivion and prometheus also listened to some music some
Haim and some lana del Rey very happy I chose these ;) will post some pics when I get time

Well after deliberation I plumped for the MA Vectors. The wife wanted black speakers, so the Q7000 would have worked out £170 more so I've taken a chance and ordered the MA's. Although not the prettiest (although this would be a matter of opinion), I think for under £300 they appear hard to beat. I've read good and bad about them though so I'll just have to wait and see, some people think they are fantastic and as good as anything twice the price, others have complained about the subwoofer hum issue and that they are not so good with music, while others have no hum issue and think they are great for music (well great for a 5.1 system).

Well after deliberation I plumped for the MA Vectors. The wife wanted black speakers, so the Q7000 would have worked out £170 more so I've taken a chance and ordered the MA's. Although not the prettiest (although this would be a matter of opinion), I think for under £300 they appear hard to beat. I've read good and bad about them though so I'll just have to wait and see, some people think they are fantastic and as good as anything twice the price, others have complained about the subwoofer hum issue and that they are not so good with music, while others have no hum issue and think they are great for music (well great for a 5.1 system).
very curious to hear how you are getting on with the Vectors...

They should be with me on Tuesday, I never thought about the order being delayed with the Easter weekend although it's not a problem I'm in no big rush for them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom