Recommend some funk/jazz albums

A

anu

Could people recommend some of the best funk artists that I could listen to? :)

Cheers, I can't work out the best place to start!

James Brown
The Meters
Fred Wesley
Maceo Parker
Bobby Byrd
Sly & The Family Stone
Tower Of Power
Jamiroquai
The Brand New Heavies
Incognito
Herbie Hancock/Headhunters
Parliament
Funkadelic
Stevie Wonder
The Average White Band
Kool & The Gang
Chic
Curtis Mayfield
James Taylor Quartet
Sister Sledge
Corduroy
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Incubus
Jaco Pastorius
D.I.G.
Rage Against The Machine

Definitely start with JB if you're going to start anywhere though. :cool:

MuFu.

P.S. There's a series of compilations out called "Right On!" that have got some pretty good old funk stuff on them (Charles Wright, Stovell Sisters, Freddie King etc). Also, check out "Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings" for a contemporary band that sound like they've been plucked straight out of the early 70's funk/soul scene.

Grover Washington albums Winelight and Inner City Blues. (Sax)
Earl Klugh (Guitar)
Herbie Mann(Flutist)
Bob James albums One or the Best of
Ohio Players

Excellent lists, thanks for the help MuFu/Garrett. It's something that I've always had an interest in but somehow never really got into, so now I'm making bit of an effort.

In searches etc, a few names like maceo, parliament etc keep cropping up so I'm gonna take a look at those.

Just another quick question if you don't mind..

oops, forgot the question :D

Are there any good jazz albums from just a rhythm section around (ie. piano, bass, drums and maybe electric guitar..)

When I used to be in a big band the rhythm section would sometimes arrive a bit early and just jam for a bit and it sounded awesome. Without any sax/trumpet etc.

Anyway, I'd often try and arrive early and listen to them, I just love it. Are there any albums with just these performers you guys could recommend to me (again!)?

Try and listen to A Go Go, Groove Elation or Hand Jive all by John Scofield. All are funky as hell; A Go Go is just guitar, bass, organ and drums (Medeski Martin and Wood are the rythm section and are also a great band on their own) and is probably the best jazz funky jammin album I've ever heard! Play it with volume on 11!! The others are just as funky but with a bit of sax here and there.
No offence but in a different league to Bob James, Earl Klugh et al (IMO of course!!!!)
Phil

Jazz rock, ie guitar based:-

John Mclaughlin, "Birds of Fire" "inner mounting flame"
Soft Machine, Soft Machine 3,4 and "land of Cockayne"
Jeff Beck, "blow by blow" "wired"

Jazz sax: Grover Washington, "winelight" "feels so good" "Makin magic"
David Sanbourn, "voyeur"

For the funky stuff i love Curtis Mayfield, and all the George Clinton stuff; Parliament, Funkadelic etc

Much, much more but these are good "toe dippers"

Parliament, Funkadelic and Sly & The Family Stone are all a little trippy, so probably not the best if you want hear clean jams. Some good grooves though - just ask Snoop Dogg, hehe.

Originally posted by anu
When I used to be in a big band the rhythm section would sometimes arrive a bit early and just jam for a bit and it sounded awesome. Without any sax/trumpet etc.

Anyway, I'd often try and arrive early and listen to them, I just love it. Are there any albums with just these performers you guys could recommend to me (again!)?

If you played in a big band you should definitely check out the early Tower Of Power stuff. They're like a funk/soul big band (with some cheesy ballads thrown in for good measure). Try these albums:

In The Slot
Urban Renewal
Tower Of Power
Back To Oakland

"Head Hunters" (Herbie Hancock) is the definitive jazz-funk album IMHO. If your rhythm section used to jam before practice there's a fair chance they borrowed a couple of the grooves off it. The term "jazz-funk" gets thrown around a lot and you'll probably find a lot of cheesetastic 80s fusion (Jeff Lorber, Lee Ritenour etc) gets lumped under the same category.

Some of John Scofield's stuff is definitely worth checking out. He's played with pretty much anybody who's anybody in the jazz world.

MuFu.

MuFu,
Parliament and funkadelic are great recommendations. Don't forget about George Clinton and Bootsey Collins. I know they played with parliament, but they had good solo stuff too.

Originally posted by MuFu
Definitely start with JB if you're going to start anywhere though. :cool:

MuFu.

This guy wrote the book.

See if you can track down the "foundations of funk - a brand new bag 1964-1969" double compilation CD on Polydor if you specifically want his early funky stuff.

My favourite various artists funk compilation is the four CD "total funk" set on Universal. 75 tracks for around £35-40.

George Benson - In flight (don't be put off by his late 80's stuff this is seriously funky

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...0846/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_11_3/202-8699014-4073435

Roy Ayers - collection

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...1019/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_11_2/202-8699014-4073435

The Blaxploitation series

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-8699014-4073435

James Brown - In the Jungle Groove - more funk than jazz but just plain dirty

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...1157/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_11_6/202-8699014-4073435

Gil Scott Heron - The Revoltion will not be televised

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...1225/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_11_1/202-8699014-4073435

If you like these and want any more give me a shout

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I got the Best of Blaxploitation. series and Common is right they are good I looks like The Best Of ( here ) is no longer available though.

Mufu & common have recommended some good stuff there.

Add the talents of Paul Hardcastle to that list. (of 19 fame)

Delve back in time to hear his stuff he did when he was with a couple of groups: (Early 80's)

Direct Drive
First Light

Great funky, vocal tunes with Paul Hardcastle showing his immense keyboard skills.

Time machine / A.M. / Dont be mistaken all show the funkyness.

Check Best Of Direct Drive & First Light

You can check out his "Jazzmasters" CD's for laid back, soulfull grooves, with great production

Jazzmasters Link

Just do some searching on Amazon or something like that.
Try before you buy

This guy still sells well in the US & Japan, and is one of the finest keyboard players over the last 15-20 years.

Did you know that Simon Fuller (Spice Girls / Pop Idol maestro) started his 19 management company after the success of Hardcastles massive global hit "19"

His tune "Wizard" was the Top Of The Pops theme for yonks.

Other fantastic tracks would include: (more electronic - but still funky as hell)

Guilty
Soundchaser
Foolin' yourself
Rainforest
Forest Fire (very early - electro style tune)
King Tut

Hugely underrated, well worth checking those links.

Adz

EDIT 30 second track clips available here for the Direct Drive / First Light compilation above

Click here

Some good stuff already recommended but I don't see The Crusaders mentioned. Their music was mostly instrumental but with the occasional guest vocal - the most famous being Randy Crawford on Street Life. Great stuff. Also the solo albums from Joe Sample, Wilton Felder and Ralph MacDonald.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom