Recommend setup for Samsung HW-Q900a Soundbar, Philips OLED806, Pioneer VSX-LX305 and multiple streaming devices

niclaw

Novice Member
Hello all,
So I'm going to get ahead of myself here and ask for help.
I will be buying following items. HOW should I connect them?
Philips 55 OLED 806 TV - it will have two HDMI 2.1 ports. One of these two being eARC.
Samsung HW-Q900a Soundbar - It will have unspecified number of HDMI 2.1 ports.
Pioneer VSX-LX305 - AV receiver will have 6 HDMI 2.1 ports and 1 HDMI 2.1 eARC port.
I have Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Amazon Fire TV cube, Amazon Fire TV (2nd gen).

How would I connect these all to obtain best picture and sound from them all?

Thanks for help.

JBA6

As implied by @Ruffuz you should connect your Shield and Fire TVs to the TV whose eARC output then goes to the eARC input on the soundbar.

JB

niclaw

Novice Member
As implied by @Ruffuz you should connect your Shield and Fire TVs to the TV whose eARC output then goes to the eARC input on the soundbar.

JB
Thanks to both of you.
Will the tv allow passthrough of all the audio codecs though? I don't have full knowledge about that. I've heard that LG CX series blocks passthrough of DTS codecs. So if the upcoming Philips TV was to block passthrough of certain codecs would/wouldn't I need the AV receiver?
And if I DID get the AV receiver receiver, how would the connections be?
Again, many thanks.

JBA6

Someone else may be able to answer your question re the TV passing through all codecs.

Your alternatives to using the TV as the source switcher would be to either:
a) Connect all your sources direct to the soundbar. If it doesn't have enough HDMI inputs then you would probably have to use something like a Kinivo HDMI switch to accomodate all your sources. I'm using a Kinivo 350BN 4K HDMI Switch with my Samsung soundbar which only has one spare HDMI input for precisely this reason.
or
b) Get the Pioneer and a set of speakers instead and connect all your sources to the Pioneer which would then feed the video to the TV.

JB

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom