• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Recommend replacement for or complement to, DM601

texasjohn

Novice Member
Hello folks,

I use a pair of B&W DM601 in my study, connected to an CA Azur 540R receiver. The receiver takes an optical feed from the PC and is just used for gaming/Spotify passthrough. Occasionally I use the tuner. I don't feel the need for 5.1 surround but the low end bass is certainly lacking with just the 601s in isolation.

The DM601 are sat on a fitted desk, about 1" from a solid wall, 5' apart. I'm sat about 12-15" back from them.

The DM601 are fine other than that so I am toying with the idea of buying an active subwoofer (used B&W AS2, ASW608), but either will probably be overkill for a 3m x 3m space.

I note some of the other B&W bookshelf/standmount are a little bigger and have a bass porthole below the woofer (685 model). Would these perhaps give me the extra bass I am looking for, without the need for a subwoofer?

Even a little Altec Lansing £40 PC speaker set (cheap featherlight speakers and a sub that used to sit under the desk) was much better in respect to bass response.

Budget is 'a couple of hundred quid' plus the value of the 601s (assuming the solution is different speakers that replace them).

Thanks in advance for your views.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Just in case, you should check that the speakers are connected in phase before changing anything.

Easiest mistake to make in hifi.

texasjohn

Novice Member
Good point. I am pretty sure they are but I will check!

NB to kind of answer my own question, a used active sub will be the cheapest option!

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’m very surprised that a Lansing thing comes even close to a minor percentage of the bass of a pair of 601s.

So, at the risk of embarrassing myself further, it might also be a good idea to check in the CAs software that you haven’t got the speakers set as ‘small’, or that the cut off point is engaged at all?

texasjohn

Novice Member
CA set as follows:

F L/R - Large
C - None
R(ear) L/R - None
Subwoofer - No
LFE - 0dB

DSP setting - Stereo

It's kind of ok with bass +10 but that amplifies the mid-bass too much. Hmmm, I suspect I am seeking tones that are below the frequency range of the speakers!

Last edited:

texasjohn

Novice Member
Brilliant, thanks. I will look into that sub.

The frequency response range is 70Hz+, I think that answers my question. There is in fact a porthole under the woofers (I've just pulled the grille off). Also, it would appear I have DM601 S2s, looking at the picture in the link below.

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/54984/1/bowers-wilkins-dm601-s2-page1.png

One final question please: Should I put the DM601s on some sort of mount or pad rather than direct on the desk surface? Little rubber discs or something perhaps?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
It can’t do any harm, and it’ll help nobble any vibration. The packets of foam or felt squares from quid shops will do the job.

I’ve owned the 601s2s before and my nephew still owns the same pair.

The bass is not massive, but it’s mighty fine for the size, so I assume you mean tank like, and mountain exploding bass?

texasjohn

Novice Member
Yes I guess I do mean that!

Thanks for the recommend...

upload_2019-2-22_11-32-10.png

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’m sure you’ll love it. :smashin:

I’ll be interested to hear your opinion once you have it set up.

texasjohn

Novice Member
Well I haven't got it set up properly yet, but it is all connected and switched on. Very happy with it! I just need to route the cables properly and decide whether it is going to sit under my desk or the other side of the room.

I have only been at home in the evenings so unable to fully appreciate it/set the gain and crossover accurately. When the house is empty tomorrow I will have a better opportunity.

However, I can tell that it adds some real low-end fill and complements the DM601s perfectly. I've set the crossover to 70Hz for now, as that's the B&Ws lower limit, but I feel I may end up going with 80 or 90.

Just listening to 'Skanna - This Way (130BPM version)' on Spotify

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom