Quantcast

Recommend PS4 games to a newb

silent ninja

So I'm incredibly late to the PS4 party. I have traditionally bought the PS1, PS2, Dreamcast and Gamecube within the first year of launch - owned Master System too back in the day. But as I got older, got busier with career and kids, and decided (given my addict tendencies!) to hold off gaming and concentrate on other things.

But it's now approaching Christmas, my son is now 14 and I feel he's gonna miss out on one of the best things I remember as a kid. Me and my brothers having pro evo tournaments, or working through Metal Gear Solid co-op style, or learning 15+ hit combos on Tekken and 'clocking' the game with all 'perfects' are very fond memories. So far my son's kept busy playing sports, boardgames and watching movies but he's mentioned a PS4 a few times - and with Shenmue 3 coming out (one of my favourite titles of all time) I thought now is a good time.

The last great game I played was Valkyria Chronicles back in 2009 ish but to be honest I missed most of the PS3 also. So I am totally out of the loop as to what is good. I'd rather ask here than look at review sites! Please recommend me a few titles I can get started with or titles you've found the most memorable on this platform.

To give you an idea of my favourite games I can remember:
Shenmue 1,2 (80's, kung fu, epic saga - frankly a master piece of it's time)
Pro Evolution Soccer (PS1, PS2)
Metroid Prime (Gamecube) - ridiculously good and unique
Uncharted
Metal Gear
Skies of Arcadia
Burnout Paradise - always loved an arcade racer like this and Ridge Racer, rather than the realistic ones
Soul Calibur, Tekken 1 - it got a bit stupid after part 3
Powerstone 2
SSX Tricky

I've never got in to first person shooters (always found the controls annoying) but if they're easily playable I'm up for trying. Generally love adventure games.
My son wants FIFA - always preferred Pro Evo - have things changed? Fill me in!

damianmcr

Uncharted Collection and Uncharted 4
GTA V
The Last of Us.

This is assuming you didnt have a PS3.

I just seen Uncharted. I should read more carefully sorry.

silent ninja

Uncharted Collection and Uncharted 4
GTA V
The Last of Us.

This is assuming you didnt have a PS3.

I just seen Uncharted. I should read more carefully sorry.
I played Uncharted 1 to completion and it was awesome. Never went beyond that so the collection is a good shout. I played very little PS3.
The Last of Us... looks interesting

prezzy

Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3
Bloodborne
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

KennyNinja74

Distinguished Member
Pro Evo is still king, but your son wants Fifa 20 better get that.

PS4 essential games that you might want to consider are.

Spider-Man
God of War
Detroit
Uncharted 4
Bloodborne
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Last of Us Remastered
Red Dead 2
Little Big Planet
Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection
GTA V
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Everybody's Golf
Driveclub
Infamous Second Son
Diablo 3

These are just a few from my collection

Toasty

Distinguished Member
If you like Shenmue, give the Yakuza series a go. And based on Skies of Arcadia, check out Dragon Quest XI and Persona 5, tremendous JRPGs..

Also consider EA access at £20 for the year, you'll be able to play previous years Fifa, other sports games and a variety of other games too, you should get value out of it. I've played the Unravel games and the excellent Dragon Age Inquisition so far from the Vault..

KennyNinja74

Distinguished Member
If you like Shenmue, give the Yakuza series a go. And based on Skies of Arcadia, check out Dragon Quest XI and Persona 5, tremendous JRPGs..

Also consider EA access at £20 for the year, you'll be able to play previous years Fifa, other sports games and a variety of other games too, you should get value out of it. I've played the Unravel games and the excellent Dragon Age Inquisition so far from the Vault..
Forgot about Persona 5 brilliant JRPG, which is in PS Now £40 for the year.

AMc

Distinguished Member
RDR2 and GTAV are both brilliant games but they are both rated 18 - so a bit of caution recommending for a 14yr old.
He's probably a bit old for the Lego games but the co-op modes in them are really good - I play them as an adult with my partner :)
If he or you have any interest in cars then Gran Turismo Sport is very good - lots of depth.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
For me God of War is my game of the generation, but there's been many great games.

My personal top picks would be:
Horizon Zero Dawn
Spiderman
Nioh
Bloodborne (tough but rewarding)

I was a bit disappointed with Uncharted 4, Uncharted 2 is for me the best of the whole series so definitely try to play that.

silent ninja

Thanks guys

I just bought
FIFA 20 PS4 500gb + Spider Man + extra controller for £220 at Very. Delivered to post office so hopefully I can hide it!

So that's two games, I'm keen to try Spider Man but not so keen on FIFA. Will buy 1-3 more titles before Xmas. Looking at the suggestions, it's tough! Maybe Red Dead Redemption 2 as I hear I can play that before part one or Last of Us. Also Shenmue is on my list.

Out of Drive Club and Diablo 3, which is more arcade in style rather than realistic? I couldn't get in to Gran Turismo back in the day. It was a little too serious and hardcore for me, having grown up with coin machine arcade racers.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Driveclub is great racer with an arcady feel. You should be able to pick it up cheap with a season pass and you can also get a bikes expansion for it. I enjoyed what I played of Gran Turismo Sport, there's also Project Cars for sim based racing. Diablo 3 is an action rpg..

Toasty

Distinguished Member
If this is for Christmas, just some tips if you can do this discretely in advance:

- Boot it up, set up your account and install any updates for the PS4
- Install all the games you have and install all the patches that they will need

This takes quite a while, so its best not to do this on Christmas day. Are you going to set up an account for your son in advance? Its best he has one and you have a decision, use his age or an adult age. Word of warning, if you use his real age he will not be able to play any game online that is rated higher than his current age. You can parent control local play, eg, you can set whether he can play red dead redemption 2 or not, but if you set him up as 14, he would not be able to play RDR2 online with his mates. This caught us out, it may sound sensible for younger ages, but as they hit 15+, its a ball ache..

AMc

Distinguished Member
If GTS is too serious then Drive Club is great fun - be warned that the online will be turned off on March 31st 2020

If you want to play a great Arcade racer in split screen then Wipeout Omega Collection is well worth a look.

Both available dirt cheap from CEX - I wouldn't pay the Sony online prices for either any more.

silent ninja

If this is for Christmas, just some tips if you can do this discretely in advance:

- Boot it up, set up your account and install any updates for the PS4
- Install all the games you have and install all the patches that they will need

This takes quite a while, so its best not to do this on Christmas day. Are you going to set up an account for your son in advance? Its best he has one and you have a decision, use his age or an adult age. Word of warning, if you use his real age he will not be able to play any game online that is rated higher than his current age. You can parent control local play, eg, you can set whether he can play red dead redemption 2 or not, but if you set him up as 14, he would not be able to play RDR2 online with his mates. This caught us out, it may sound sensible for younger ages, but as they hit 15+, its a ball ache..
I would never have thought of this, thanks for the advice!
I'm generally fine with him watching action/violence but not insidious/creepy violence or sex obviously. We watched Joker together a few weeks back. I would say that's the limit.

I was actually newish to online gaming when I stopped gaming. I used to play Top Spin online, and I remember Halo being a big thing. I gather I just need to buy a year's subscription to Playstation Plus.

Lots of cheap high quality titles around. Just bought Last of Us for Remastered for £10.

damianmcr

Check out ShopTo for a playstation plus subscription. Its down to £29 at the minute which is a steal.

silent ninja

If GTS is too serious then Drive Club is great fun - be warned that the online will be turned off on March 31st 2020

If you want to play a great Arcade racer in split screen then Wipeout Omega Collection is well worth a look.

Both available dirt cheap from CEX - I wouldn't pay the Sony online prices for either any more.
Is Driveclub a good game offline? How much mileage can I get out of it? Tempted to pick up a racer.

AMc

Distinguished Member
Is Driveclub a good game offline? How much mileage can I get out of it? Tempted to pick up a racer.
You can get it for about £5 used. I got my copy with my PS4 - the Christmas when the PSN was taken off line by hackers for all the time I had off work :rolleyes: - I got plenty of fun out of it then.

There's a long thread here.

For a while there was a racing league running in the subforum here. You can (online) set up challenges and send them out to your PSN friends to try. That was a lot of fun and will be missed along with leaderboards but for £5 it's still a bargain.

I also enjoyed The Need For Speed: The Rivals which is properly old now.
Looks like I've missed 2 more not including the current NFS Heat!
Some of the NFS titles are a bit hit and miss but I can honestly say if you enjoy an arcade racer they're worth a pop. Even the worst I've played have been worth the money.

silent ninja

Hmm noticed these racers don't have split screen multiplayer mode. This is how local racing should be done!
How about Rocket League?

Thanks to the sales, these are the games I've got:
FIFA 20
Lego The Incredibles - think wife n kids will like this
Spider Man - everyone
The Last of Us Remastered - for me

May get a racer, platform game or similar that we can play in multiplayer mode.

I want the following next year in no order, but not buying now so I can enjoy what I've bought. There is definitely such a thing as having too much of a good thing:
God of War, Uncharted Collection, RDR2 , Shenmue 3

Persona 5 looks really good and seems like my kind of game. But does it take a massive time commitment? I'm a busy dad that works away as a consultant so I won't get more than 4-6 hours a week.

Thanks for all your awesome suggestions. It's like being a kid again

ibrox_grfc

Distinguished Member
Might also be worth mentioning some of the games that are free on PSN.

Destiny 2 is probably a good mention as there is a huge amount of game there and still plenty playing it (It only went free to play in October)
Fortnite is the obvious freebie and loads playing it although you'lll very likely get put in with toxic ten year olds if you do the squad mode
Warframe and World of Tanks are 2 other notable mentions

If you haven't already , get a PS+ subscription as you'll get 2 free games each month. Some decent ones have been included in recent months such as Last of Us, Detroit Become Human & Titanfall 2 (for December)

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Persona 5 is long game and quite addictive when it grabs you, that said, a lot of games in your list can consume many hours to complete and offer so much more than a main story line. At 4-6 hours a week, I'd keep one game on the go until you complete it, if you have too many on the go at once, you'll end up ditching some and not getting the full experience.

Split screen isn't so prevalent nowadays, but Rocket league does support it and its a bag of fun. Ironically, Gran Turismo has a split screen mode, as do the likes of Wipeout and Crash Team racing..

Also for local coop consider the likes of Diablo 3, Rayman, Borderlands collection, etc..

Glostarz

+1 for Horizon Zero Dawn, one of the best games of this generation.

Also vote for God of War & Spiderman.

I would also recommend Days Gone. It is an 18, but mostly because of some potty-language. There is a lot of gunplay in the game, but isn’t too gore-filled. The story is really good, a much better game than the reviews made out

silent ninja

I have a good list of upcoming buys and I've been watching YouTube videos of reviews of some of the games mentioned.

Are there any decent beat'em ups or have they gone out of fashion?

Are there any accessible first person shooters? Neither my son or I have played FPS' before.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Are there any decent beat'em ups or have they gone out of fashion?

Are there any accessible first person shooters? Neither my son or I have played FPS' before.
There's not a breadth of fighters as far as I'm aware, although there's latest versions of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat around, however, Injustice (if you like DC comics) and Guilty Gears Xrd may also scratch that itch.

For FPS, Bordlerlands Handsome collection is great fun and you can play local coop with your lad. Also Overwatch is quite accessible, you've also got the likes of Doom and Titanfall 2 (included in this months PS+), there's plenty of options here tbh..

silent ninja

How does Borderlands 3 compare with Borderlands Handsome collection? I see the latter is a remaster of the two previous games. Is it worth jumping straight to 3?

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
How does Borderlands 3 compare with Borderlands Handsome collection? I see the latter is a remaster of the two previous games. Is it worth jumping straight to 3?
BL3 has some improvements over the others (climbing/sliding and more satisfying gunplay) which I imagine would spoil playing the handsome collection afterwards.

Saying that, I think I far preferred the story to BL2 (which is in the collection) - the main bad guys in BL3 were very annoying.