• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recommend me some TV Tuner software

super-saint

Established Member
Just got an USB Digital TV tuner - the supplied software is rubbish though.

Can anyone recommend me some good software to use with it. Main use is to watch UK freeview TV but some recording facility would be handy.

Thanks

Mr_Fantastic

Established Member
DVBViewer, MyTheatre, DVBDream, ProgDVB, GB-PVR, MediaPortal, RitzDVB, SesamTV (seems crap to me but I have only just installed it) are a few to checkout.

mike_the_tv

Standard Member
My V-Gear DVB-T USB stick came with TotalMedia 3 from ArcSoft. It's not bad although the EPG guide does not show enough channels side by side.

I tried MediaPortal with my V-Gear but I could not get it to recognize the device. Not sure if thats MediaPortal or my device at fault.

Avace

Standard Member
I'm a fan of the Terratec software that shipped with my card. You'll need to check whether your card is supported on their site though. It offers recording and offers PIP (Picture-in-picture) if you're using one of their 2400 dual tuner cards. (This also allows you to record 2 channels at the same time but you will then have to watch one of the recording channels if you're watching tv.

cdldt

Banned
For me the only software that does what I need is DVBViewer. You can record as many channels from one mux as you like. It's not free, but it's cheap for what it does - around £10 IIRC. The only issue is if you want set-top-box style simplicity - you're not going to find it there.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom