Recommend me some not too scary Halloween flicks

james7604

Hi guys,

Around Christmas time we always tend to watch Christmassy films like Home Alone, Die Hard, Elf, Deck the Halls :rolleyes:....to get us in the festive spirit.

I thought this year it would be good to do the same thing around Halloween. There's only one catch though, my better half doesn't like horror films. So any suggestions for Halloween themed films that aren't horror?

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
But everyone deserves a good scare at HALLOWEEN :)

nitram100

Distinguished Member
chain your other half down and force the horror films down her throat :)

People who refuse to watch horror films because they are scared are boring. :rolleyes:

But back to your question at hand, the only film i can think of is Hocus Pocus, which is really good.

witches, the witches of eastwick, donnie darko, devils advocate, shaun of the dead, ghost, the adams family, casper, the nightmare before christmas, sleepy hollow, beetle juice, seven:smashin:

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
Just watch MOST HAUNTED "live" ... that will be good for a laugh :)

james7604

Just watch MOST HAUNTED "live" ... that will be good for a laugh :)

:rotfl:

witches, the witches of eastwick, donnie darko, devils advocate, shaun of the dead, ghost, the adams family, casper, the nightmare before christmas, sleepy hollow, beetle juice, seven

Some good suggestions there. Seen most of them, but there's a few that I wouldn't mind watching again. :smashin:

nerro

Sorry to go a little off topic but could anyone recommend some movies that ARE scary? I watched The Strangers and The Orphanage the other day and thought both were great.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Sorry to go a little off topic but could anyone recommend some movies that ARE scary? I watched The Strangers and The Orphanage the other day and thought both were great.

French movie 'Them' (ILS) is miles better than average The Strangers, which it was a remake off.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose? been a while since i saw it.
Amittvile Horror remake was good.

Crabman32

It is your duty to watch HALLOWEEN every year around this time. The perfect Halloween film. Obviously.

piros

Ooh that reminds me I best order a blu ray copy of Halloween as we always watch 3 horror films on the 31st and it wouldn't be Halloween without it :D

But I have to say I agree with Hocus Pocus...I may have to order that at the same time! :D I was 8 when that came out, how time flies :eek:

Hugh

Distinguished Member

Every Halloween, I just have to re-watch "City of the Living Dead". Always a great Halloween flick. Provided you get the full uncut print. :devil:

As for "not so scary", why not Beetlejuice? :smashin:

Last edited:

Sonic67

Banned
Corpse Bride. Horror and funny with it. We watched it last year on Hallowe'en on HD DVD.

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
Monster Squad maybe

nerro

French movie 'Them' (ILS) is miles better than average The Strangers, which it was a remake off.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose? been a while since i saw it.
Amittvile Horror remake was good.

I didn't know it was a remake, I will definitely try and find the French version then if it's supposed to be better.

I've seen The Exorcism of Emily Rose quite a while ago, thought it was good so will add that to the rental list too.

james7604

Still some great suggestions. Some scary! :nono::devil: Some not!

Maybe we should open the topic up and suggest both scary and non scary films for Halloween. I'll make a list of the recommended ones in the first post.

Stick a :devil: next to the scary ones though, I'll end up in trouble otherwise. :D

piros

Still some great suggestions. Some scary! :nono::devil: Some not!

Maybe we should open the topic up and suggest both scary and non scary films for Halloween. I'll make a list of the recommended ones in the first post.

Stick a :devil: next to the scary ones though, I'll end up in trouble otherwise. :D

I just started a new thread as I would like to know the scary ones :D :smashin:

brian s

Distinguished Member
An awful lot depends on what you regard as scary. Very few horror films have scared me but I love The Haunting(1963) and The Innocents. Both very chilling.

Regards
Bri

Kelltic

Del Toro's stuff are actually really good ghost stories - not really horrors, and often very moving, so I recommend either The Devil's Backbone or The Orphange (my personal favourite) as not too scary ghost stories good for halloween.

How about some comedy/horrors - likes of The Frighteners, The Lost Boys, some older classics like Fright Night maybe.

Maybe some Stephen King - Christine, Carrie, Pet Cemetary (might be too scary, dunno??)

Definitely recommend The Orphanage, its a beautiful and haunting ghost story and it will actually have your missus in tears, rather than scare her :smashin:

james7604

I actually picked up The Devil's Backbone a month ago and haven't gotten around to it yet, so that'll probably get an airing. I didn't know Del Toro had a hand in The Orphanage, we're both big fans of the stuff he directs so might try that as well.

I hadn't heard of The Frightners, might give that a watch too, as the imdb reviews seem generally pretty positive.

IAN P

Distinguished Member
The Changeling :thumbsup:

Wrong thread,i wouldn't say it wasn't scary,but it does have a few jump/shock scenes.

Last edited:

crimsoneagle

The Orphange is the best ghost movie I have ever seen :thumbsup:
GREAT haloween story!!

Tho we will be watching
The Mist as the missus hasnt seen that yet!!
Ive seen it twice!! :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+