Recommend me some lighting

D

Deleted member 24354

I am transitioning from recorded (YouTube) Yoga videos, to livestream classes. The main difference will be the time of day. The YouTube videos were shot in the morning in our open plan kitchen which has a lot of ambient light and required little extra lighting. We will be livestreaming in the evening and the lighting arrangement (overhead LEDs) really doesn't cut it on the test streams. So I need to look at some lights. I have been looking at Neewer as they seem to get good reviews. I am shooting from about 4m away from the instructor using a Lumix G5.
I am not sure whether to start off with one primary light something like a 660 and illuminate directly from behind the camera and see if that is OK or do I go for 2 smaller 260 LED lights and light from either side of the camera. My current budget is one or the other. Any advice would really help. Lighting is not my strong point so any direction will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Without seeing the room and anticipated shots, . . . . . . . it's not easy to be specific... but shadowless lighting is "probably" what you need..

Bear in mind that light falls off as the square of the distance and even a modest room cannot be lit from the camera-position.
Therefore you need to bathe the room in suitable lighting - these days that means COB-LED ( although the lighting quality is probably less important than the quality of the presentation ).

Ceiling panels are one possibility - but pricey - however, there will be no wires the trip over, or batteries to recharge. . . . . When you move house the panels can be replaced by diffusers.... so you could take them with you.
If you buy small-panels and find they aren't bright enough, you can add more later. The important thing is to bathe the room in light - BUT do make sure the camera doesn't "see" the source, otherwise the exposure may be compromised. Having bright walls will also help - pref. white - - - also, avoid distracting murals, - so folks can concentrate on the action... Flooring must allow the feet to be seen clearly...... I guess this means no fancy patterned carpet - although carpet is good IMHO, as it will cut down any noise and improve any spoken instructions - but let's leave microphones until the lighting is resolved.
You need to be fairly sure the "Studio" will be quiet; so switch-off / or Move any freezers, fans etc.
If you are on a budget then conventional LED bulbs could be used with shades towards the camera . . . if you are going to move the camera that make life difficult, unless you have a high ceiling - for this reason alone a garage ( for example) is never satisfactory.
Modern camcorders are fairly good in low-light, so you should test the lighting before any expensive changes -
Good luck.

For power lighting I use two Neewer LED308C Ultra High Power Dimmable Video Lights. Very controllable for both power output and temperature. In truth I find them a bit "overkill" and tend to keep them set low.
They are also used as standby lighting during any power cuts and will supply lighting for the whole house.

Looking at a twin pack of Neewer 480 LED lights. The area where we shoot is this

image.jpg
not the greatest light. I think an LED offset your either side will help a lot. Thoughts?

Hi, at the distance you appear to be filming you could have trouble with the 16x9 aspect ratio. I guess this is the most sensible part of the room to use... but to my eyes the shot looks rather "bizzy" and maybe some Budget should go on a backdrop screen, so the viewer can concentrate on the moves... If you can increase the distance from subject to background that would help with defocus. The dark wall might be a tad too dark and maybe needs a light of its own to get a good balance. OR was this a shot to show us the room only, as-is?.
I think you should study the principles of 3-point lighting and modify it for this situation. If the subject is going to stand-up, this may mean rearranging the lighting - so you may need to have two lighting sessions and edit it, rather than have a fully-live showing.

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom