Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

recommend me some good wireless router and bridge for the xbox 360

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Proto Omega, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Proto Omega

Proto Omega
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im a noob to all this i just need a router and wireleess bridge hooked up to my cable modem right? I wanna be prepared for when the xbox 360 comes out so I need to figure all this out now. So what do I need? I definately want it wireless. I have a cable modem on my pc (not wireless) and want it to be hooked up to a wireless router which will be conencted to the xbox360 too. But what else do I need? I think its a bridge or something how do they work? and if I wanted to connect more than one console (like the ps3 when it comes out) i'd need more than one bridge thing?
    Anyway could someone provide me a good link for decent wireless hardware in the UK. I'm on a 250k/sec connection by the way.

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,455
    If you don't need your kit now it may be worth holding off until MS make an official announcement regarding what exactly comes with the 360. It is possible (but unlikely) that it will have wireless included, and so you won't need to buy a bridge. What's more likely is that there will be available a higher standard package that includes a wireless adapter (along with an extra controller and a hard drive), which may work out cheaper than buying a bridge. The strong rumours are that MS will announce full details later this week regarding prices, packages and the capabilities of the 360.

However, it is definite that MS will make available a wireless adapter (bridge) for the 360 for sale, and this may or may not be cheaper than a standard bridge, but it will definitely help with any compatability problems that wireless networks can have.

You will want a wireless router to connect to your modem though, so it may be worth starting to research these. I have a Linksys WRT54G as it was listed as Xbox Live compatible, and it's been perfect for me.

3. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yep,

Like Lorenzini says, definitely wait for the 360 to come out, a wifi adapter will be released at launch if not soon after, I believe it will be compatible with most routers, MS want you online!

I have a Netgear DG834G v2, its a good wireless router cost approx. £75 from here: Broadband Buyer

The router will also allow you to connect the PS3 and Laptop to it, plus you definetly need to think about upgrading your t'internet connection, don't think 256k will cut it for the 360 on Live.

all in all be patient, wait for the 360 to be released.

4. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    The best wireless router you can get which is xbox live comaptible is the D Link DI-784, it's Dual band wireless, supports Wireless A/B/G, and even 108mb/s wireless A/G, so would be great for the 360...

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,455
    So the official Xbox 360 wireless bridge will be £60 as it turns out. The Linksys wireless game adapter WGA54G is about £50 (I have it and it works fine), so it may be worthwhile getting this instead. Good luck fella!

6. Proto Omega

Proto Omega
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    where does it say official one will be £60

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,455
    Here... - it's the 5th one down.

8. Proto Omega

Proto Omega
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    erm 255k/sec is not enough for xbox 360 live? huh?

9. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,455
    Technically you could run Live on a 256kbps connection, but higher speed connections are so cheap now it's worth upgrading to at least 512, if not 1mb. You'll have a much smoother time online.