1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me some DVD-A albulms

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by sticker, Jun 24, 2003.

1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I shall shortly be getting my Arcam FMJ DV27 player back from Arcam upgraded to glorious DVD-A.......hopfully.

Had a look look at the search of recomendations, only one I could find was back in January, hopefully things have changed since then on the availability front , I hope. I really want to listen to the format and show its full potential

Therefore can I ask for peoples recomendations of good DVDA albums, not necessarily good albums in your opinion because you like that artist, but ones that are recorded and mixed well for DVDA

Cheers
    John

2. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Things are still a bit poor on the DVD-A front, but how about REM's Automatic for the People?

3. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Blues fans should go for 'Riding with the king' by B B King and Eric Clapton.

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I stuck a toe in the DVD-A waters a few weeks back, and as fancyabrew says is still a bit barren.

however, I picked up foreigner, foreigner 4, The Corrs - in Blue, and The Eagles - Hotel California and I must say I was very impressed.

I had a normal CD copy of the Eagles so did an a/b test and it was exceptional steering for some of the stereo and felt like there was much more depth to the tracks - that one is definately recommended. The two foreigner disks were also very good.

the corrs was OK but I didnt think it was outstanding, particularly the videos. They were very grainy and seemed to be lifted straight from VHS.

5. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dvd player isnt offically a dvd audio player but it still works brilliantly with REM automatic FTP (not file transfer protocol, would work in a strange way!) and it sounds amazing. Especially man on the moon.

I also got 'the planets', but, maybe its my dvd player, but it really doesnt sound that good, its just the whole orchestra in 6 speakers rather than the different sections sepearted properly

6. VMAX

VMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Try Magnification by Yes. VMax

7. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Queen - A Night At The Opera, and The Game. I actually prefer the DTS soundtracks on these, but they do sound brilliant, especially if you like Queen.

8. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks everyone for your thoughts
    Regards
    John

9. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sticker

I would highly recommend

The Eagles - Hotel California

if you want to hear your system at it best. The 192Khz/24 bit stereo option is amazing. I just hope they release more albums of this quality.

I wouldn't bother with Naxos Holst The Planets as I was very dissappointed with it.

Would also get

The Corrs in Blue
    REM Automatic For The People

10. Joe Tanner

Joe Tanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im surprised no-one has mentioned Fleetwood Mac - Rumours. Of my (small) collection of DVDA it's definitely my favourite. It sounds amazing, even through my paltry system!

11. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any good classical albums?

12. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Say You Will........Fleetwood Mac
    The Captain And Me..........The Doobie Brothers
    Everything Must Go.......Steely Dan
    Automatic For The People.........REM
    Hotel California........The Eagles
    Rumours...........Fleetwood Mac
    Billion Dollar Babies...........Alice Cooper
    Fragile..........Yes

When it's available Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys should be good !
    To be honest, there are a lot more SACDs to choose from.

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Doors LA Woman

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

:smashin:

15. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My current favourites are:

Hotel California - Eagles

Automatic For The People - REM

30 - Elv1s Presley

Regards,

16. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the recomendations, ordered most of these now, unfortunately I'm now bankrupt:laugh:

Keep 'em coming

17. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sticker

I'm also looking for good classical DVDA albums, I have three at present.

Holst The Planets
    Vivaldi's Four Seasons
    Bach Organ Spectacular

I would also appreciate any recommendations.

18. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For classical, Jazz and blues AIX make the best DVD-A's out there. I bought a couple, then then bought EVERY ONE of their cataloge. Every disc offers at least 2 sound mixes - one from the audience position, and ONE FROM THE STAGE - the band is wrapped around you - its stunning!

Recent Compliments on their site:

Well, I have been enjoying these titles for the past month and must say that I am immensely impressed with the job that you have done. Without question, of all the music titles that I have purchased (i.e. several hundred CD, DVD-V, DVD-A etc.), I cannot think of having been more pleased with the money that I have spent. Every aspect of the production has been top notch. I am sure you have heard much of this before but let me say that one feature that was unexpected and, in fact, sets your products apart from everything else, is the inclusion of Video, with alternate angles, and commentary, plus DTS encoding.

Joseph Morgan
    DePaul University - Customer

I love the way you put the group into a circle and recorded the music. I'm one of those rare individuals that likes "aggressive" surround, with the rear channels being used as much as the fronts. It's the reason I selected DVD-A over SACD to begin with as the DVD-A titles are for the most part mixed aggressively.

Michael Cunningham - Customer

...we are still enjoying the sampler. At a recent press event I managed to reduce a well-known classical radio presenter to tears with your recording of 'The Lark at Heaven's Gate'. Also HiFi News thought this was the best bit of DVD-A they ever heard. Mind you, we did have a barnstormer of a playback system!

Robert Stuart - Meridian Audio, Cambridge England

I just received the Brahms and Nitty Gritty Surround albums. I was blown over by the Nitty Gritty album. It is simply the best sounding DVD-A I have heard, and I now own around 75. I've posted my thoughts on some boards. I only hope it sells well and others hear it. You are doing really great stuff. Thanks.

Charlie Thomas - Customer

Reviewers

I really hope you can get those forces back together for a Volume II [Nitty Gritty Surround]...this one is exquisite...I had forgotten how much I liked Jennifer Warnes..haven't heard from her in some time. Great disc, in sum! You can well be proud of it...superb, flawless music making captured in "you are there" sound...what more could one want.

Rad Bennett - Reviewer for TAS and Sound & Vision

DVD-Video has had the option of multiple camera angles from the beginning and the AIX DVD-A/V programs have this, plus interviews, other materials and something wonderfully new and sneaky. To my knowledge, the AIX discs are unique in having dual listening perspectives: Stage and Audience. Some folks like to completely surrounded by the performers. Others, like John Atkinson and me, prefer to maintain their distance. With an AIX disc, you can just tap you remote and jump from pit to podium. Absolutely fascinating.

Kalman Rubinson - Stereophile

...it¹s an impressive debut DVD-Audio sampler from AIX, they¹ve obviously gone to great lengths not only to provide an exciting audio experience but also to give the listener great insight into the recording itself and the methods used. I¹m certainly looking forward to hearing more from AIX and experiencing one of their commercial releases.

Stuart M. Robinson - High Fidleity Review

[NJSO]...this is an impressive piece of work from AIX and I look forward with great interest to their forthcoming releases.

Nigel Pond - High Fidelity Review

There are a couple of other tracks that really trip my musical trigger -- one is the solo piano where it sounds like you're inside the piano. The other is the a capella choir, Zephyr...Wow! Man does Mark know what he's doing with recording.

John Kotches - Editor, PC/Home Theater, Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity

My high end audio friend, Tony, came over today and we thorughly explored Nitty Gritty Surround...he was tremendously impressed..he doesn't like surround as much as I do in general, but we BOTH felt you had made the right choice in choosing the stage MLP tracks for the audio side. He has plenty of money but balks at spending $24.98 for an SACD or DVD-A from other companies..but he said you had a dozen releases out (he's heard the sampler) he would go out right away and buy a player and order the dozen discs and be happy.
    Believe me, coming from him, that is an ultimate compliment! Thought you would like to know.

Rad Bennett - Reviewer for TAS and Sound & Vision

http://www.aixrecords.com/

I think if you order 4 you get one free, and a demo disc.

Rich

19. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    What kind of person listens to a concert sitting in the middle of the orchestra? That's just daft.

20. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

A member of the orchestra?:D

21. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I can get my old trumpet out and play along with the LSO.:D

22. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nitty Gritty Surround won best sound award I seem to recall....

As for the sound mixes - You have the choice - some people like more aggresive surround than others - also a lot of these discs are 4 or 5 piece bands - trust me - it works stunningly well. Just look at the site, read the reviews, and look at the tech page.

Hell, just buy one.

Rich