Recommend me some decent walking boots.

niceguy235uk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Morning peeps!

Mods, please move if i am in the wrong place. Couldnt find a clothing forum!

Currently got some Merrell MOAB 2 GTX high rise walking boots and they are great, but i have always felt them a bit tight along the length.

So, reading a load of reviews i opted to go for a size 11 (standard not wide) which is one up from my usual 10 and initially they felt brill, bit after a few walks, felt they were probably too tight. I did initially do the home check (finger width on the toe to the end of the inner sole, finger width at back of heel).

Now, not having been a huge hiker in the past, i was clueless when buying (around 10 months ago online), and went off reviews from Amazon and the like.

Feet aren't hurting and i am not getting blisters, so i am thinking walking boots generally are designed to be a tighter fit overall?

Or is it just that this particular boot isn't for me?

Any tips, recommends etc welcome and don't mind spending to get the right result!

Cheers all!

Currently got some Merrell MOAB 2 GTX high rise walking boots and they are great, but i have always felt them a bit tight along the length.

So, reading a load of reviews i opted to go for a size 11 (standard not wide) which is one up from my usual 10 and initially they felt brill, bit after a few walks, felt they were probably too tight. I did initially do the home check (finger width on the toe to the end of the inner sole, finger width at back of heel).
Don't follow, surely if they are tight along the length then they are too narrow? Or are you saying the heel and toebox are too narrow?

I have wide feet [1] and am an urban walker on concrete - no grass. Favourite boots are North Face Hedgehog GTX XCR III Tall and took the insoles out to get in them. Don't think they make them anymore. Next up are Lowa Renegade GTX Mid (wide) but these weren't wide enough but the sole and support was excellent. I now use Hi-Tec which for cost and comfort WFM.

I'd just order 10s and 11s in standard and wide and return anything that doesn't fit.

[1] My feet are normal other peoples' are are just narrow :)

When I bought my walking boots I went to a outside pursuits store that advertised proper fitting. They spent the time to fit the boots properly and had small ramps of different surfaces to test the fit on uphill and downhill slopes. Ended up with a pair of Scarpas that have been perfect for the last 20 years and are still giving good and comfortable service.

if youre in no rush a lot of places open next week so you can check a few out - if you can its worth popping along to a Trekkit store where they will measure your feet and recommend from there - alternatively have a look here..

in terms of boots i really rate both my Aku Pilgrims and Salewa Rapace's.

I love Merrell boots, they seem to fit me like a glove and the heel and inner sole feel like my feet just roll down the road. I wouldn't say they're extra tight, just that they fit properly. Maybe try some in the shops next week and see if you find similar problems with fit?
As you've found, Merrell sizes are always off and you need to buy one size bigger than usual.

Yes they are a little undersized still i think, and when i stand up, i can feel the bottom joint of my little toe pushing against the side of the boot, so i guess i may need a wide fitting with this brand.

As others have said, go to a proper outdoor shop with knowledgeable staff and get a fitting.

You won’t get the best deal, but you’ll get the best boots.

Yes they are a little undersized still i think, and when i stand up, i can feel the bottom joint of my little toe pushing against the side of the boot, so i guess i may need a wide fitting with this brand.
Do you have problems with trainers or dress shoes? These would normally be a D width

The Renegade GTX Mid wide, I would say are a 2E width.

Shop fitting is always best and if you find a pair that fits (after a few weeks wear) buy a second pair.

Thanks all.

I had a look at the Trekkitt website, and thought i would give them a call and spoke to a really helpful chap who recommended the Meindl Comfort fit, but they didn't have any my size in stock!

Even so, I would thoroughly recommend giving them a call as they couldn't have been more helpful if they tried.

Fantastic!

So, I now have an appointment booked with gooutdoors on Tuesday for a proper fitment.

The Labrador FB group I'm in rate Scarpas, so I'll probably go with those when my Merrells die. Not a big fan of Merrell's, as these are my second pair. I returned the first to Amazon as they leaked really badly, even though they were GoreTex etc. The replacements aren't much better.

When I first bought a real pair of walking boots I went to Go Outdoors and after seeing a crap assistant another spent ages with me and gave me loads of advice and help. Settled for a pair of Salomon GTX4D. Lightweight, breathable, adjustable lacing, fabulous. Now on my 3rd pair. [Edit accurate name: 4D 3 GTX]

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom